Interesting Article on Gun Statistics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: Interesting Article on Gun Statistics

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:47 am
Spock wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:29 am
Weyoun wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 pm

Again - thanks for making my point.

The remarkable thing about the gun lobby is how much it goes out of the way to resist restrictions, and to ensure those restrictions on the books are poorly enforced - all to appeal to a bunch of weirdos who think everyone is out to kill them.
Spent much time at a gun store have you? I haven't seen a lot of wierdos-but I have seen fathers helping their 15 year old daughters picking out a gun for a deer hunt and fathers and their adult sons spending time together looking at guns for an upcoming goose hunt to the Canadian prairies etc etc.

But, by all means, keep sneering at freedom and classifying gun owners as wierdos. I am sure that is the best way to make us want to give up our guns.
The weirdos have outnumbered the hunters. I'm talking about the ones who have a huge gun collection; those who walk around town with a gun on their hip or a rifle slung over their shoulder.

I'm not anti-guns, I have a 12-guage and two 1911s; I'm anti-gun nut.

Approximately 15.2 million hunters. Your math is slightly flawed.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Weyoun

#27 Post by Weyoun » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:16 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:12 am

A few years ago, Mrs. SSS and I went to a Sunday afternoon play at the Cobb County Civic Center. The complex has two buildings. One is a 500-seat theater (where we went), and the other is an all-purpose building immediately adjacent where they have basketball games, trade shows, and similar events. That day, there was a gun show being held in the all-purpose building. There may have been some fathers helping their 15 year old daughters pick out a gun for a deer hunt. But I saw a whole bunch of people that I wouldn't want to be around in a secluded location.
I'd be willing to bet they thought the same about you.
Were they inner-city gangsters by chance?

Funny how the usual suspects here always trash the stereotypical redneck when it comes to guns, but nary a word about the inner city gangsters who really blow the USA's "Gun Crime" Statistics way past that of other countries.
The rednecks are the ones who constantly serve as a political obstacle to meaningful reform. That’s why they get talked about a lot

kroxquo

#28 Post by kroxquo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:54 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 pm

Again - thanks for making my point.

The remarkable thing about the gun lobby is how much it goes out of the way to resist restrictions, and to ensure those restrictions on the books are poorly enforced - all to appeal to a bunch of weirdos who think everyone is out to kill them.
Spent much time at a gun store have you? I haven't seen a lot of wierdos-but I have seen fathers helping their 15 year old daughters picking out a gun for a deer hunt and fathers and their adult sons spending time together looking at guns for an upcoming goose hunt to the Canadian prairies etc etc.

But, by all means, keep sneering at freedom and classifying gun owners as wierdos. I am sure that is the best way to make us want to give up our guns.
The weirdos have outnumbered the hunters. I'm talking about the ones who have a huge gun collection; those who walk around town with a gun on their hip or a rifle slung over their shoulder.

Bob, I'm curious. Why do you own guns? I have never owned a gun (apart from an antique flintlock pistol with no flint in it). I have never lived in a household with a gun. I have never seen the sense or the need to have something in my home that statistics show is more dangerous to me or my family than any protection it might yield. I'm not criticizing, because it's your choice, but what is your rationale for owning them?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob Juch

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:15 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:

Approximately 15.2 million hunters. Your math is slightly flawed.
Oh? And how many weirdos?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#30 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:19 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:54 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:

Bob, I'm curious. Why do you own guns? I have never owned a gun (apart from an antique flintlock pistol with no flint in it). I have never lived in a household with a gun. I have never seen the sense or the need to have something in my home that statistics show is more dangerous to me or my family than any protection it might yield. I'm not criticizing, because it's your choice, but what is your rationale for owning them?
I inherited my father's and grandfather's 1911s. They're not all that good for home defense.

I bought the 12-guage when I lived in the far suburbs of Raleigh. My wife's ex was telling people she knew that he was going to track her down and take possession of their daughter. I bought it at her request.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

#31 Post by jaybee » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:32 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:54 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:

I'll put my 2 cents in here. I own 3 guns. I have a 22 rifle that my dad bought when he was 14. While we may occasionally do a bit of target practice, I have it, and will always keep it because it was my dads. Got a 410 shotgun as a varmint gun and a holdover from long ago when we had a beagle and hunted rabbits. Now it remains handy as a varmint gun and gets used as such occasionally. And a 32 snub-nosed pistol. Got it long ago when I was working a job in a remote location. Never fired it nor pointed it an anything alive although on a couple of occasions just resting my hand on it while it stayed in its holster successfully diffused what could have been a bad situation.

The rifle and shotgun stay in one closet while their ammo is stored elsewhere. If needed, I can have them ready to go in under a minute. The pistol stays loaded and easily accessible to a tall person like myself. It's my home defense gun. While I know that it is highly unlikely that anyone will break into our home while we are there, having a gun at least gives me the option to protect ourselves. BTW - In earlier years when we did have children in the house the pistol was still in it's place but was unloaded with the ammo in another close but hidden location.

I'm not a gun nut, nor am I a hunter. There are stupid and irresponsible gun owners out there. I am not one of those either. And while it is true that many people are accidentally shot with firearms it is also true that the deterrent that a homeowner may be armed has likely saved quite a few lives. So I guess my tipping point is home protection and I am happy with our right to continue to do so if we choose. I do not approve of Tennessee's current "anyone can carry without a permit" law. I do not believe that there is any reason to sell assault type weapons and most people should be banned from carrying weapons in a public place. But that's just me.
Jaybee

Weyoun

#32 Post by Weyoun » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 am

I’m surprised the usual crowd of weirdos did not pipe in trying to justify those kids shot dead yesterday in Michigan. The kid’s dad bought the gun so we certainly say all appropriate safeguards were in place and NOTHING could have been done to prevent this.

I believe was Thomas Jefferson who said that the tree of liberty has occasionally watered with the blood of the children, shot senselessly while attending school. It is a natural manure.

Such a shame, but it is the way things must be!

silverscreenselect

#33 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 am
I’m surprised the usual crowd of weirdos did not pipe in trying to justify those kids shot dead yesterday in Michigan. The kid’s dad bought the gun so we certainly say all appropriate safeguards were in place and NOTHING could have been done to prevent this.
If only there were 30 or 40 good kids with guns walking around the school, they would have dropped that shooter dead in his tracks.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Weyoun

#34 Post by Weyoun » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Weyoun wrote:
If only there were 30 or 40 good kids with guns walking around the school, they would have dropped that shooter dead in his tracks.
Can you imagine wanting to live in a world where everyone is armed that way? It's the Wild West - we just need tuberculosis and whores, and we're all set.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#35 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm
Weyoun wrote:
Can you imagine wanting to live in a world where everyone is armed that way? It's the Wild West - we just need tuberculosis and whores, and we're all set.
You do know that most people aren't like what you say? If not you're a little worked up.
Well, then

Weyoun

#36 Post by Weyoun » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:24 pm
Weyoun wrote:

You do know that most people aren't like what you say? If not you're a little worked up.
See the highlighted.

Spock

#37 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:48 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

See the highlighted.
I see those wierdos in Philadelphia just passed 500 murders for the year with the murder of a Temple student.. They are back into early 1990's crack eidemic numbers.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/29/temple-st ... homicides/

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#38 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:16 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

See the highlighted.
Exactly. Imagine. What's your point other than what I pointed out?
Well, then

tlynn78

#39 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

Of course he doesn't. He and his ilk think anyone and everyone who doesn't think in lock-step with him is a raving lunatic. The media has done an excellent job of removing the ability of independent thought from hundreds of thousands, at the very least, with the vast majority sucking it up without the slightest resistance. Just sad.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#40 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:54 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
Of course he doesn't. He and his ilk think anyone and everyone who doesn't think in lock-step with him is a raving lunatic. The media has done an excellent job of removing the ability of independent thought from hundreds of thousands, at the very least, with the vast majority sucking it up without the slightest resistance. Just sad.
So let me get this straight. You think that Weyoun (a registered Republican for most of his adult life, and for all I know still one) and those who agree with him that this country is awash in far too many guns have lost the "ability of independent thought" because they disagree with you. Are you familiar with the word "irony"? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm

And then you have the cop here in Tucson who shot a suspected shoplifter in a wheelchair nine times in the back and sides. He said he tried verbal de-escalation first. His last name is Remington.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/01/us/arizo ... index.html

Bob Juch

#42 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:08 pm

And then you have cartoons like this:

silverscreenselect

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:48 pm
I see those wierdos in Philadelphia just passed 500 murders for the year with the murder of a Temple student.. They are back into early 1990's crack eidemic numbers.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/29/temple-st ... homicides/
Mention enough states and you'll eventually hit one. Pennsylvania ranks 25th in gun deaths, just behind Michigan which ranks 26th. The population of Philadelphia is 1.6 million, which people like you tend to overlook when they trot out "scary" gun death figures.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Weyoun

#44 Post by Weyoun » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:12 am

I’m not sure why bringing up inner city gun deaths is relevant, less you think there’s a racial component, but that’s on you.

It suggests to me that guns are way too available.

Why do guns need to be that available?

Weyoun

#45 Post by Weyoun » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:54 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
So let me get this straight. You think that Weyoun (a registered Republican for most of his adult life, and for all I know still one) and those who agree with him that this country is awash in far too many guns have lost the "ability of independent thought" because they disagree with you. Are you familiar with the word "irony"? --Bob
Spock will be happy to know that I have a Pennsylvania gun license.

It was very, very easy to get

Bob Juch

#46 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:46 am

Weyoun wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 am
Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Here in Arizona you don't need a permit for either concealed or open carry.

BackInTex

#47 Post by BackInTex » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:50 am

Weyoun wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

I'm sure you have a PA driver's license as well, so you could, at anytime, drive your car through a parade of dancing grandmas.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#48 Post by Weyoun » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:50 am
Weyoun wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I'm sure you have a PA driver's license as well, so you could, at anytime, drive your car through a parade of dancing grandmas.
Glad you brought up drivers licenses. They have a more stringent requirement. Not only do you have to pass a test, but any car is required to have insurance.

So we are agreed. You should have to pass a test to be able to own a gun, and you’ll need to be insured in case you get hurt, or your kid decides to bring it to school and kill some of his classmates.

Since there will be a financial requirement, it might even keep guns out of the hands of those poor people (read: blacks) that Spock finds to be so scary.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#49 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Can we have some mental health facilities and intervention better than now? In re Mich shooter
Well, then

Bob Juch

#50 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:50 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
The prosecutor overseeing the investigation into a mass killing at a Michigan high school this week strongly suggested Wednesday that she would charge the teenage suspect’s parents, an unusual move but one that gun control advocates say is essential to combating the nation’s scourge of shootings by minors.

Officials have said that the father of the suspect, 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, bought the semiautomatic handgun used in the killings last Friday. Just four days later, on Tuesday, Crumbley forged a path of terror at Oxford High School, killing four people and injuring seven others, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said.

While it is unclear how Crumbley may have obtained the gun from his father, McDonald said Wednesday that gun owners have a responsibility to secure their weapons — particularly when young people are involved.
I'll bet anything that he asked his father to buy it for him.