A Sign of the Times -- Unfortunately

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

A Sign of the Times -- Unfortunately

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:01 am

I went to see my doctor today at the same offices I'd been going to for years. Now, outside the front door is a six-foot high sign warning people that rude and abusive behavior, including vulgar language, threats, and physical assaults will not be tolerated. I would assume that this is not a new policy at the clinic. What is new is the fact that they need to warn patients about it.

But that's the environment we live in. Those boasting about how their freedoms are impinged upon or how their doctors are trying to kill them with vaccines are showing their displeasure in disgusting ways. What's really bad, though, isn't the relatively small number of idiots who engage in this type of behavior as the much larger number who just want to dismiss it, forgive it, and sweep it under the rug as long as it supports their political purposes.

(waiting for a comparison to the almost non-existent Antifa protestors...)
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: A Sign of the Times -- Unfortunately

#2 Post by Estonut » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:01 am
I went to see my doctor today at the same offices I'd been going to for years. Now, outside the front door is a six-foot high sign warning people that rude and abusive behavior, including vulgar language, threats, and physical assaults will not be tolerated. I would assume that this is not a new policy at the clinic. What is new is the fact that they need to warn patients about it.

But that's the environment we live in. Those boasting about how their freedoms are impinged upon or how their doctors are trying to kill them with vaccines are showing their displeasure in disgusting ways. What's really bad, though, isn't the relatively small number of idiots who engage in this type of behavior as the much larger number who just want to dismiss it, forgive it, and sweep it under the rug as long as it supports their political purposes.

Excellent example of your delusion. Did the sign explicitly mention vaccines in any way?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Weyoun

#3 Post by Weyoun » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:36 am

Estonut wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33 am

Excellent example of your delusion. Did the sign explicitly mention vaccines in any way?
I’ll chip in at this point to mention that, when I work in the big urban hospital, I deal with mentally ill patients and we have to be careful.

When I work in the nice suburban hospital, I see people more worked up and agitated, and it almost always has something to do with Covid.

Of course, I think many of these anti-vaxxers are mentally ill. It’s an emotional response. There’s a lot of paranoid behavior at work and magical thinking.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Estonut wrote:
What's really bad, though, isn't the relatively small number of idiots who engage in this type of behavior as the much larger number who just want to dismiss it, forgive it, and sweep it under the rug as long as it supports their political purposes.
It didn't take long to prove my point.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Too bad the folks that owned this building didn't put up a sign for the almost non-existent Antifa protesters.

Minneapolis Manufacturing Company Will Leave City after Plant Burned in Riots

Hundreds of other examples, but you'll ignore or excuse this one, so what's the point.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Too bad the folks that owned this building didn't put up a sign for the almost non-existent Antifa protesters.

Hundreds of other examples, but you'll ignore or excuse this one, so what's the point.
Wasn't Minnesota where they found the violence was started by white separatists hoping their actions would be blamed on people supporting Black Lives Matter? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 pm
BackInTex wrote:

Wasn't Minnesota where they found the violence was started by white separatists hoping their actions would be blamed on people supporting Black Lives Matter? --Bob
It's time-let's have a peaceful national divorce and each go our separate ways. Split things as well as we can and let people move to whichever of the 2 countries they prefer.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

"They" being CNN, MSNBC, etc? Maybe.

They being anyone with credibility? No.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:35 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Precisely
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

"They" being the prosecutor's office that filed charges to that effect against the white separatists in question. It may have been in Wisconsin but I'm pretty confident it was in Minnesota. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:42 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

"They" being the prosecutor's office that filed charges to that effect against the white separatists in question. It may have been in Wisconsin but I'm pretty confident it was in Minnesota. --Bob
O.K. Maybe, but you should have worded your question

"Wasn't Minnesota where they found some of the violence was started by white separatists hoping their actions would be blamed on people supporting Black Lives Matter? "

I won't argue against that.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:36 am
Estonut wrote:

I’ll chip in at this point to mention that, when I work in the big urban hospital, I deal with mentally ill patients and we have to be careful.

When I work in the nice suburban hospital, I see people more worked up and agitated, and it almost always has something to do with Covid.

Of course, I think many of these anti-vaxxers are mentally ill. It’s an emotional response. There’s a lot of paranoid behavior at work and magical thinking.
Gee, classifying people who disagree with you as "Mentally Ill" raises absolutely no totalitarian overtones.

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Spock wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 pm
Weyoun wrote:
Estonut wrote:

Gee, classifying people who disagree with you as "Mentally Ill" raises absolutely no totalitarian overtones.
Right? Good Lord.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:18 pm

Spock wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
Estonut wrote:

I thing a proper word is arrogance.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:26 pm

Spock wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
Gee, I wonder how Weyoun got that idea:

Of course, I don't blame Spock for being unaware of this. Fox News doesn't tend to show videos like this one or what Weyoun undoubtedly sees every day on the job. But it's par for the course for Spock for continuing to ignore and ridicule the one person on this Bored who has been at ground zero in regard to the pandemic for nearly two years now.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:46 am

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:18 pm
Estonut wrote:
What's really bad, though, isn't the relatively small number of idiots who engage in this type of behavior as the much larger number who just want to dismiss it, forgive it, and sweep it under the rug as long as it supports their political purposes.
It didn't take long to prove my point.
In your normal fashion, you select one snippet of the quotation out of context and twist everything around. Also as usual, you failed to answer the simple question. Did the sign explicitly mention vaccines in any way? Did you speak to any employees about the sign, or are you once again displaying your mind-reading skills?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:33 am

Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:26 pm

Of course, I don't blame Spock for being unaware of this. Fox News doesn't tend to show videos like this one or what Weyoun undoubtedly sees every day on the job. But it's par for the course for Spock for continuing to ignore and ridicule the one person on this Bored who has been at ground zero in regard to the pandemic for nearly two years now.
Weyoun may have dubs on experience at "ground zero" but not ground one through ground one million. His perspective of the pandemic is slanted towards the worst results of the pandemic. His sample of reality is biased and his arrogance blinds him to that fact.

I respect what he does and one on one I'd probably respect his medical opinion. But on the aspects of every day life for most folks, his opinions are no better than anyone else's.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:24 am

Estonut wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:46 am
Did the sign explicitly mention vaccines in any way? Did you speak to any employees about the sign, or are you once again displaying your mind-reading skills?
The sign did not mention vaccines or masking (although the clinic has a mandatory masking policy that's made clear on other signs that have been there a lot longer). But it's not difficult to see where the clinic's concerns have come from. Here's what some of their co-workers at other healthcare facilities have had to say here in Atlanta recently:

Kicked In The Ribs. Harassed At Vaccine Sites. Health Care Workers Are Tired Of New 'Normal'

Georgia DPH workers harassed while administering COVID vaccines

There's plenty more of that just here in Georgia.

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Estonut wrote:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if the sign just recently appeared it is safe to think that it's a result of the current environment with respect to masking.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:10 pm

Many people need to find a new doctor and others who need to find a new airline.

The latest: A woman became angered when a flight attendant woke her husband up because his mask had slipped below his nose. She then punched the attendant in the face.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Weyoun

#21 Post by Weyoun » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:33 am
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:26 pm

Weyoun may have dubs on experience at "ground zero" but not ground one through ground one million. His perspective of the pandemic is slanted towards the worst results of the pandemic. His sample of reality is biased and his arrogance blinds him to that fact.

I respect what he does and one on one I'd probably respect his medical opinion. But on the aspects of every day life for most folks, his opinions are no better than anyone else's.

Occasionally I work in a rural hospital in Pennsylvania. There is more money involved, and it is a change of pace. Keeps me on my toes. I worked there today.

First of all, there’s way more Covid here, despite a lower population density. I saw more Covid today than I saw in a week at the level one trauma center, tertiary care center.

This is almost certainly because the people are less educated and they believe weird conspiracies. In other words, stupidity and mental illness.

When folks question my experience above, I have absolutely been screamed and yelled at, as has the nursing staff, by folks in such hospitals, over Covid. I asked a patient if they’ve been vaccinated today, prefacing it by stating that I just wanted to get a sense of how ill they might become, given what treatment they had before. Boy did that not go well!

One colleague communicated to me this evening. He is very burnt out. He works in a small hospital in northern Pennsylvania. Half the patients in the department should be in an ICU. They are on BiPAP or intubated. Of course, they all have Covid. They’re waiting to find some other hospital to go to. This is an incredibly small hospital in a small town yet all these folks are sick. 24 beds and something like 11 beds are occupied by folks seriously ill with Covid.

It’s an aftershock of Delta. It made its way up north after being down south. It found a home in the land of the unvaccinated.

I’m sure these folks are really showing Brandon by being on BiPAP.

I mentioned mental illness about. I mean it. It is a serious problem. When I work in rural hospitals, I see much more of it. There are folks waiting for a psychiatric bed for two or three days, sitting there doing nothing. This is not some thing I see in the inner city. Those folks use drugs in their problems and they float from hospital to hospital and from street corner the street corner, but they don’t wind up sitting around, waiting for a bed. The shock of seeing so many mentally ill people in small town hospitals will astound you!

There’s a huge mental illness crisis in this country. There is a huge spiritual crisis in this country. I believe the anti-vaccine movement and the folks who are so against control and Covid reflect it.

It’s not a rational choice. The folks who oppose it don’t actually understand medicine or statistics or anything ancillary. It’s an emotional response, and a sense of feeling justified by telling someone else who is suggesting something that they’re wrong and that you cannot be controlled.

For folks in small towns, I can see this as an intoxicating and empowering force. Doesn’t make it right. The proof is the fact that they are waiting on ICUs in big cities while puffing away on BiPAP, waiting to be intubated.

Spock

#22 Post by Spock » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:04 am

Weyoun>>>"
It’s not a rational choice. The folks who oppose it don’t actually understand medicine or statistics or anything ancillary. It’s an emotional response, and a sense of feeling justified by telling someone else who is suggesting something that they’re wrong and that you cannot be controlled."<<<<

I submit that it is not a rational choice for parents to scare the living shit out of their young children for a disease that basically does not affect the young. I submit that such parents do not understand medicine or statistics or anything ancillary and may, in fact, be mentally ill.

The parents who terrify the shit out of their young children are simply having an emotional response.

Weyoun

#23 Post by Weyoun » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:04 am
Weyoun>>>"
It’s not a rational choice. The folks who oppose it don’t actually understand medicine or statistics or anything ancillary. It’s an emotional response, and a sense of feeling justified by telling someone else who is suggesting something that they’re wrong and that you cannot be controlled."<<<<

I submit that it is not a rational choice for parents to scare the living shit out of their young children for a disease that basically does not affect the young. I submit that such parents do not understand medicine or statistics or anything ancillary and may, in fact, be mentally ill.

The parents who terrify the shit out of their young children are simply having an emotional response.
What about - and work with me here - a position based on evidence?

You’re right, the evidence for children getting very ill is low. My child is getting vaccinated in part due to the fact that he could spread it to his grandfather, who is ill.

My kid is not scared of anything and he had no problem getting his first vaccine.

Of course, he is more well-adjusted than some adults out there.

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:04 am
Weyoun>>>"

You could make that same argument about anything dangerous. About 400 children a year in this country die in fires, but we teach children about fire safety and not playing with matches from the time that they are old enough to learn. Some of those lessons tend to be a lot scarier than teaching about COVID safety since children have a much better grasp of what a fire can do to them than a disease. What you conveniently ignore every single time this topic comes up is that children pose a threat not just to themselves but to the older people with whom they come in contact. Masking primarily protects others around you, not you.
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weyoun

#25 Post by Weyoun » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am

Btw the "А у вас негров линчуют" approach used by the anti-vaxxer crowd is so lame. Use evidence, not whatabouts!