Memories of Christie1111

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Memories of Christie1111

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:30 am

Regrets.

I remember one time finding out that Donna was going to be coming to Paducah, Kentucky for a quilting festival. It hardly springs to mind when you hear Paducah, but the little town in southwest Kentucky has become quite the little arts/crafts community. It was about a 2 hour drive from here then, slightly less now. Donna had noticed on the map how close Evansville was, and offered to get together. I had some middling important commitment already that weekend, and I begged off. I wish I had rearranged things so we could have met face-to-face.

Years later, when Wendy and I were planning our trip to Kauai, she was so helpful and knowledgeable, even though she claimed not to be. She also helped out with our family trip to Oahu in 2006, I remember, warning us about strongly enforced speed limits and "driving with aloha." I think her sister was still chief of police then, and jokingly offered to bail us out if we got in trouble.

I'll miss her.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

Re: Memories of Christie1111

#2 Post by Spock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:47 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:30 am
Regrets.

I remember one time finding out that Donna was going to be coming to Paducah, Kentucky for a quilting festival. It hardly springs to mind when you hear Paducah, but the little town in southwest Kentucky has become quite the little arts/crafts community. It was about a 2 hour drive from here then, slightly less now. Donna had noticed on the map how close Evansville was, and offered to get together. I had some middling important commitment already that weekend, and I begged off. I wish I had rearranged things so we could have met face-to-face.

Years later, when Wendy and I were planning our trip to Kauai, she was so helpful and knowledgeable, even though she claimed not to be. She also helped out with our family trip to Oahu in 2006, I remember, warning us about strongly enforced speed limits and "driving with aloha." I think her sister was still chief of police then, and jokingly offered to bail us out if we got in trouble.

I'll miss her.
Is that the sister that was on Magnum PI? Not that long ago, when I started a Magnum binge-she mentioned that her sister had been on an episode.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:55 am

The first time I ever remember interacting with Christie on the Bored was in late 2000. She had picked up post #131313 on the old Go Bored, and we both laughed at the unusual ironic coincidence that I'd also gotten Post #111111 previously. That was what really set off our fascination with each other's username numbers. She would always wish me a happy Friday the 13th (Which I noted the absence of back in August), and of course "11:11" became a part of this community's pop culture. In all of my ES artwork I drew, whenever a clock was shown that needed a generic time, it was always set to 11:11... even if it was technically incorrect.

Like when Marley pointed out the astronomical impossibility of the clock in that avatar (Which, sadly, was inspired by another departed BB, Ed)

While it was Silvercamaro, who (via Annie) was responsible for me turning my generic grey squirrel I was drawing into Evil Squirrel... it was an Evenly Gorgeous "ad" I did for Christie that turned the generic red squirrel I was drawing into MBRS.

And then there was the tale of the squirrel quilt.....

Back in October 2009, Christie made a squirrel themed quilt for me... and just like I enjoyed doing, mailed it off to me as a surprise. About a week later, she started nudging me about whether I'd gotten anything from her in the mail. No, but I was looking forward to getting whatever it was. About a day or two later, I got a similar PM from Hottie (Hotseat or Bust)... at first, I thought she was asking about the quilt on behalf of Christie, but no, she had actually sent me something as well the previous week and was curious if I'd gotten it yet. Hottie lived in the same town as Christie, and soon it became apparent that both had sent me a surprise at the same time, from the same city, and neither package ever showed up at my door. What became of those two packages that got lost en route from Stratford, CT to GC will always remain a mystery. While Hottie was just sending me another estate sale token that she thought I would like that was more of a sentimental loss for both of us, Christie was obviously devastated to find out her handmade quilt she put so much effort into never made it to its destination. It's one of the more bizarre, but tragicomic coincidences I've ever been a part of...

Christie did remake the quilt a few years later and successfully sent it to me (with delivery tracking this time!), along with the Snuggle Bear plush who's since become a part of my blog's twisted entertainment series (and who you can see in my avatar).

The quilt still hangs in my computer room with pride along with so many of the other wonderful gifts I've received from people at both of my virtual homes...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Snaxx

#4 Post by Snaxx » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:29 pm

I also have memories of Donna. The one that stands out the most for me was a Yankee game in June 2008, the last season in the old stadium, one we both attended. Donna came to the game from Connecticut while I came from Long Island. It was a particularly hot summer afternoon. Fortunately we would be in the shade although in different sections.

Here is how she told me she would come over to meet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J49G83 ... 9WmccdOMO/

And sure enough, here she came in the middle of the game.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FvJePL ... SsP98O8_Y/

Joba Chamberlain (remember him?) pitched four innings and the Yankees beat the Royals that day.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Of all of the many BBs we've here on the different incarnations of the Bored, Donna was one of my closest friends, even though we only had a couple chances to meet in real life, at tapings of the show, and then at dinner someplace afterwards.

Perhaps my favorite memory was when I was staying out in California with my nephew, while my sister was undergoing her (first) chemo and stem cell transplant. I had mentioned that MarleysNephew liked Axe (one of the lines Donna was responsible for at her job), so Donna arranged to have a giant sampler pack of Axe products delivered to him. I knew the box was was coming, but it came as a total surprise to him.

Looking at the return address label, "Donna Foster? Who's Donna Foster?"

:)

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Boonie and I were at my cousin's son's wedding in Connecticut. Very near where Donna lived.

A New Year's Ever wedding. Lots of family, lots of fun.

Donna and I had been in contact and we were talking about getting together after the wedding.

She said that we could meet up for lunch and she would drive us to the train.

She picked us up. And then we drove along the shoreline and have a wonderful, leisurely drive.

We went to Bobby Valentine's restaurant tp eat - she thought we would enjoy the sport memorabilia, which we did.

She and Boonie became quite the fans of each other.

iT WAS A WONDERFUL DAY!

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:43 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:32 pm
Boonie and I were at my cousin's son's wedding in Connecticut. Very near where Donna lived.

A New Year's Ever wedding. Lots of family, lots of fun.

Donna and I had been in contact and we were talking about getting together after the wedding.

She said that we could meet up for lunch and she would drive us to the train.

She picked us up. And then we drove along the shoreline and have a wonderful, leisurely drive.

We went to Bobby Valentine's restaurant tp eat - she thought we would enjoy the sport memorabilia, which we did.

She and Boonie became quite the fans of each other.

iT WAS A WONDERFUL DAY!
Bobby V lost the election to become Mayor of Stamford last week. I ate at his bar/restaurant when I worked there. I did amazingly well in their football pool.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Christie and I had lots of conversations on the Bored and in chat, and at one point I told her she was making it up about there being such a thing as white raisins. She said, "I'll prove it! Give me your address and I'll send you some oatmeal/white raisin cookies." And she did!

What a delight she was.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#9 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 pm

One time there was a BB get-together in Manhattan. A group of us (Judy, Kay, Barbara, Pea, Donna, Val and myself) were walking from the diner where we had eaten lunch to the theater to meet up with Skoop and Skoop's mom, to see Wicked. At one point, Donna and I were walking together a bit ahead of the rest of the group and all of a sudden there was Anthony Bourdain heading right toward us. Donna was very excited to see him! Of the three of us coming from CT., Val and I had driven into the city togther, but Donna had finally received her train station parking pass that she had waited nearly a decade for, so she decided to take Metro North. When Val and I arrived at Kay and Judy's hotel, Kay was there, but Judy was not. Judy didn't want Donna to have to walk all by herself from Grand Central to the hotel, so she had gone to surprise her and walk back with her. I met Donna in person, shortly after joining the bored, as she and I lived in the same town. I know that this bored and the people on it were very important to her. Rest In Peace, Donna. Rest In Peace, Judy.