My wish for 11/11/21

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

My wish for 11/11/21

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:52 pm

I would love to see us honor Donna and Judy's memories here tomorrow -- and maybe even further. Neither of them were enamored of partisan politics, and their participation, along with so many others, fell off sharply after that became the main pastime of the posters here. So here is my proposal, which consists of two parts:

Part 1: Let's spend all day tomorrow, November 11, posting positive, interesting, silly, or humorous posts. Let's remember what made us such a strong community in the first place. Maybe post your favorite game show or trivia memories. Maybe brag about your family. Show us pictures from your most recent vacation. Joke about shower scenes and bdm's feet. Remember your favorite BBs, especially those who don't come around any more for one reason or another. How long has it been since we filled the whole front page with one day's worth of posts? Maybe if we keep it light and silly, we can lure some old-timers back. Even if not, I think our world could become a better place.

Part 2: I get that our moderators are hands-off people, and that our community wouldn't react well to heavy-handed moderation. That's a reality. So here are my suggestions for self-moderation:

a.) Don't cross-post clickbait. In the old, old days of BBSes, cross-posting was the ultimate sin. You didn't just post links to some other web page. Many of our worst threads are caused by people who are looking to outrage other people by posting links, or worse, their interpretation of someone's link. ALL media, not just right-wing or left-wing, are guilty of click-baiting these days. I can't really blame them, since that seems to be the only way anyone can make money. But we don't have to feed that particular beast. We are all pretty educated people, albeit ones with strong opinions. Nobody is educating anyone by cross-posting.

b.) Consider the feelings of others. I think we all have fairly good feelings about the others on this Bored. Many of us have met face-to-face, and many others would offer food, clothing, and shelter to anyone from this Bored who happened their way. So if someone messages you, or responds to your post, and says that they think your post is blatantly partisan, consider editing it or deleting it. After all, we all recognize that no one is convincing anyone here of anything. Why fight the battle?

c.) Don't feed the trolls. The best way to respond to an offensive post is to not engage. It's been shown over and over, and yet some people can't resist. If someone posts bait, don't read it. And definitely don't respond to it. Eventually, when their posts are getting 0 views (or how ever many views they're getting by clicking on their own post) they'll get discouraged and move on. Remember, no one is convincing anyone of anything here, politically speaking. Sometimes, I feel like, after reading one post on a given topic, I can write the next twenty posts, tell you who they're from, and what media source they got most of their talking points from. That's just boring.

d.) On-topic posts are particularly welcome. I know there's no Millionaire show right now, but there are other game shows. And there's lots of trivia. Go to a pub game? Post the questions you can remember. Come across a nice tidbit somewhere? Post it here, so others can experience that data-nugget joy. Maybe even host a one-day game or a multi-part game. That's what brought us together in the first place, right?

We have a special group of people here. Let's keep it together, at least for a while longer.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

Re: My wish for 11/11/21

#2 Post by Spock » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Can I still plot against TGirl and Beebs? and figure out how to get my hands on that journal?-LOL.

But, seriously-even though it happened early-I am guessing that thread hits the spirit of what you are looking for as much as anything else recently.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:02 pm

In honor of our departed BBs, the 11/11 version of TEN! is ELEVEN!

Check it out!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:58 pm
Can I still plot against TGirl and Beebs? and figure out how to get my hands on that journal?-LOL.

But, seriously-even though it happened early-I am guessing that thread hits the spirit of what you are looking for as much as anything else recently.
Yes. I almost pointed it out specifically. It reminds me of the good old days.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:56 am

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:40 am

Random trivia tidbit:

In September, 2014, singer Elle King made a big splash with her song "Ex's & Oh's." She performed it on many late night talk shows, SNL and Live from Daryl's (Daryl Hall's) House:

Letterman beat all (most?) other shows by first featuring her in 2012, when she released an EP. I couldn't find this performance on YouTube:
https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/1503 ... Letterman/

Who is Elle King's (relatively) famous father?
Rob Schneider

I meant to post this when I first learned it, but never got around to it. Mr. K's call for trivia, etc. got me to act today.

I read this in a news article about her selling her house in L.A. last year. I had seen a lot of her appearances and don't recall that ever being mentioned. I think they may have been estranged for a while after her parents divorced, but it appears they have since mended fences.

This really surprised me, as I don't recall hearing it during any of her TV appearances that I've seen. Further, I don't recall EVER reading about Rob Schneider dating or marrying anyone. He's been married to 3 beautiful women and has 3 daughters by 2 of his wives.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:21 am

Estonut wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:40 am
Random trivia tidbit:

In September, 2014, singer Elle King made a big splash with her song "Ex's & Oh's." She performed it on many late night talk shows, SNL and Live from Daryl's (Daryl Hall's) House:

Letterman beat all (most?) other shows by first featuring her in 2012, when she released an EP. I couldn't find this performance on YouTube:
https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/1503 ... Letterman/

Rob Schneider

I meant to post this when I first learned it, but never got around to it. Mr. K's call for trivia, etc. got me to act today.

I read this in a news article about her selling her house in L.A. last year. I had seen a lot of her appearances and don't recall that ever being mentioned. I think they may have been estranged for a while after her parents divorced, but it appears they have since mended fences.

This really surprised me, as I don't recall hearing it during any of her TV appearances that I've seen. Further, I don't recall EVER reading about Rob Schneider dating or marrying anyone. He's been married to 3 beautiful women and has 3 daughters by 2 of his wives.
I did not know this -- thanks for the pickup.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:21 am
Estonut wrote:
Rob Schneider

I learned the Rob Schneider tidbit while doing token research for featuring this song on my blog last year. I joked that Elle King was probably his best contribution to the world of entertainment...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:31 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 am
mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:21 am
Estonut wrote:
Rob Schneider

I learned the Rob Schneider tidbit while doing token research for featuring this song on my blog last year. I joked that Elle King was probably his best contribution to the world of entertainment...

lb13
What is your Blog?

As harvest and end of year accounting winds down-I am working on some pieces for Frontier Partisans (my other online home).

Main one is on Chief Inkpaduta, but I figured out to get there I have to do one first on the great unknown Sioux War in North Dakota in the 1860's.

Bixby17

#10 Post by Bixby17 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:14 am

Here's my driveby in honor of bammers here and gone.

I appreciate all of you in helping me navigate a world where everything is a world wide message board and the best moderation is just deciding to be generally cool, and hope others are too. Really, it has helped me process our present time a little better.

Our kids are in college. Our son was a toddler when I first came to the bored. They are as happy as any kids are and are doing well. :)

Don't really have any news or trivia other than I've been very sentimental over the last couple of years, have lots many people close to me, and have been reaching out to people to just enjoy who they are. Had lunch with a wonderful high school teacher I had many years ago. We caught up with things. I got to tell her how important she is to me and how much I love her. We had French food, and it was delicious.

People getting along and having a nice time and sharing what they enjoy together isn't news. I appreciate those people who do report on news. It is a hard job to do well.

Not my job to tell me people how to feel, so I will not. People feel as they do always, and I appreciate all at the supportive kind people here, particularly those I've met or wanted to meet. And those who tried to help me win money on a gameshow a million years ago. :)

All love,
Bix

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:16 am

Bix!!!!!!!
Well, then

MarkBarrett

#12 Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:16 am

A Brussels sprouts recipe is not what I like to see in the USA Today, so I let my Sharpie do a little editing.

These are more my kind of autumn foods:

Bixby17

#13 Post by Bixby17 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:18 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:16 am
Bix!!!!!!!
BEEBS!!!!!!!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Greetings!

I saw Mr. Kelley's post on the Bored Ark and thought that I would drop by and say hello.

It's difficult to believe that both Christie1111 and silvercamaro are gone. Even though I never met either of them, they did have an impact on my life.

Of course, when I see the time 11:11, I think about Christie1111. I loved seeing her post pictures of her beautiful quilts. It seemed like she was always creating a masterpiece. I talked to her several times about wanting to start quilting and she was always kind and answered questions. Since I found out that she passed away, I bought fabric and have been watching YouTube tutorials, and I am going to try to make a quilt, though I know that it will not match Donna's artistry, but at least I will have tried.

Before coming to the Bored, I knew of greyhounds, but until I read about Annie Camaro's adventures, I never thought of having a greyhound in my family's life. When the girls started volunteering at a Greyhound rescue, I told them that we would not be adopting a greyhound, because they would go off to school, and I would get stuck taking care of the greyhound. My dictate lasted about a month. Because of silvercamaro I became open to the idea of adoption, and of course adopted Zap, who was the perfect dog for my family. He was always happy to meet new people and just be with us. Our next door neighbor's daughter, who is autistic, was terrified of dogs, but Zap made her change her mind. Three years after his passing, she still tells me that Zap was the best dog ever, and I have to agree with her. So, thank you to Judy, for impacting my family's life in this way.

My family is well. My husband is an Associate Dean at his medical school and still works in the Emergency Department, which was not fun during COVID. My oldest graduated from law school and is gainfully employed, living with her boyfriend. My youngest is working as an Engineer and studying for her state boards.

-PSM

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:49 pm

PSM!!!
Well, then

bazodee

#16 Post by bazodee » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Although I never met silvercamaro, we share a bit of history.

Her syndiBAM airdate was May 17, 2004. This was the same day that two of us (jarnon and me), appeared on Prime Time Super Millionaire.
I think I remember hearing that there was one other date where three BBers appeared simultaneously.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#17 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:25 pm

I offer my tribute in...what else...musical form.

Ms. Silver's four-footers often "spoke" of their great appreciation of one "Mr. Mozart", no doubt due to the encouragement of their mom. Thus you will find my favorite piece of work by Mr. Mozart below:

And for the queen of 1111, what else but The King's ode to our 50th state:

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:31 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:36 pm
Greetings!

I saw Mr. Kelley's post on the Bored Ark and thought that I would drop by and say hello.

It's difficult to believe that both Christie1111 and silvercamaro are gone. Even though I never met either of them, they did have an impact on my life.

Of course, when I see the time 11:11, I think about Christie1111. I loved seeing her post pictures of her beautiful quilts. It seemed like she was always creating a masterpiece. I talked to her several times about wanting to start quilting and she was always kind and answered questions. Since I found out that she passed away, I bought fabric and have been watching YouTube tutorials, and I am going to try to make a quilt, though I know that it will not match Donna's artistry, but at least I will have tried.

Before coming to the Bored, I knew of greyhounds, but until I read about Annie Camaro's adventures, I never thought of having a greyhound in my family's life. When the girls started volunteering at a Greyhound rescue, I told them that we would not be adopting a greyhound, because they would go off to school, and I would get stuck taking care of the greyhound. My dictate lasted about a month. Because of silvercamaro I became open to the idea of adoption, and of course adopted Zap, who was the perfect dog for my family. He was always happy to meet new people and just be with us. Our next door neighbor's daughter, who is autistic, was terrified of dogs, but Zap made her change her mind. Three years after his passing, she still tells me that Zap was the best dog ever, and I have to agree with her. So, thank you to Judy, for impacting my family's life in this way.

My family is well. My husband is an Associate Dean at his medical school and still works in the Emergency Department, which was not fun during COVID. My oldest graduated from law school and is gainfully employed, living with her boyfriend. My youngest is working as an Engineer and studying for her state boards.

-PSM
I'd like to say thank you on this forum for helping me to determine who my biological parents were.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:48 pm

bazodee wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:54 pm
Although I never met silvercamaro, we share a bit of history.

Her syndiBAM airdate was May 17, 2004. This was the same day that two of us (jarnon and me), appeared on Prime Time Super Millionaire.
I think I remember hearing that there was one other date where three BBers appeared simultaneously.
Danielh41, scruffy and Exeter all made the Hot Seat on the 3/11/01 show.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:49 pm

My oldest graduated from law school and is gainfully employed, living with her boyfriend.
Good to see you!

I have personal knowledge, which I shared here more or less contemporaneously with the event, that your oldest is employed at her current location because she kicked ass during the interview process so thoroughly that her employer decided to create a position for her that it had not intended to create. I will add that subsequent performance to date is living up to the potential her employer saw. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#21 Post by jarnon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:56 pm

My oldest graduated from law school and is gainfully employed, living with her boyfriend.
Is that Maddie, who was sassy to Bob Saget?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

a1mamacat

#22 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Judy was my vision of elegant, with a touch of hoyden. Her joyous sharing of Annie and her siblings made me smile every time.

Donna’s love of quilting inspired me to start crochet and knitting again, to make lap throws.

Miss them both 😪
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

JBillyGirl

#23 Post by JBillyGirl » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:37 pm

It's been a long day for me and I'm kind of worn out, but I just wanted to take a moment and help fulfill Mike's wish, after seeing his post on Facebook. I've been away from this place so long -- maybe 10 whole years! -- that I'd lost the link, which Melly kindly sent me. It's nice to be back, even for a moment, and see old friends.

I don't have a whole lot to report. Since the last time I was here (after my Jeopardy episode aired in September 2011), I took a new job at a company that makes diabetes management devices -- meters, test strips, etc. I thought it would just be a short-term contract job, but as of now I've been there for 5 1/2 years. They never hired me (they have a lot of long-term contractors), but I stayed because I enjoyed the work (mainly foreign-language proofreading) and I loved the incredible camaraderie and friendships I've had with my coworkers. Even when we all went to work from home, that spirit continued, though in a different way. However, the time has come for me to look for something new (shhh!). I can't say I'm enjoying my job search or have made much progress, but I'm trying to psych myself up to do it.

Like all of you, I was heartbroken to hear of Donna's passing, and then of Judy's (which I learned of only yesterday). I wish I could pay them the tribute they deserve here, but I just can't find the words. They are both in my heart, and that's all I can say right now.

I wish I could stay and chat, but I must go to bed now and get some sleep before another busy day tomorrow. I hope to come back and maybe catch up with some of you. Good night, and be well.

mellytu74

#24 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:38 pm

One time here, I mentioned that, had I not been tied up with some screenwriting classes and projects, I would have loved to have taken a class at University of the Arts.

In Voice.

the end of the semester, the students put on a cabaret show.

Judy said she wanted to see the tape/video/recording from the end of the semester when I took the class.

It was offered once more. Then the pandemic came.

So the next time it's offered, I WILL take it. I make that promise to Judy right now, in front of The Bored.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:10 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:38 pm
One time here, I mentioned that, had I not been tied up with some screenwriting classes and projects, I would have loved to have taken a class at University of the Arts.

In Voice.

the end of the semester, the students put on a cabaret show.

Judy said she wanted to see the tape/video/recording from the end of the semester when I took the class.

It was offered once more. Then the pandemic came.

So the next time it's offered, I WILL take it. I make that promise to Judy right now, in front of The Bored.
You realize, of course, that there will be a white-hot glare ensuring that you keep that promise. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson