Off To Indianapolis for the weekend

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Off To Indianapolis for the weekend

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Well, not off quite yet. We are leaving Wednesday.

The Spocklette is getting her American FFA Degree and it is kind of a deal.

National FFA convention with thousands of kids wearing the blue coats.

We get to Indy sometime Thursday and will have a few free hours in the Lucas Oil Stadium area.

Friday, we will be at the convention and Saturday morning she walks across the stage and we head for home. She has a big test on Monday.

BackInTex

Re: Off To Indianapolis for the weekend

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Congrats to Spocklette on a job well done. I had two daughters who did FFA all four years of high school. It’s a lot of hard work but they learn a lot, including responsibility, commitment, and humility.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 pm
Congrats to Spocklette on a job well done. I had two daughters who did FFA all four years of high school. It’s a lot of hard work but they learn a lot, including responsibility, commitment, and humility.
Thank You.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:41 am

Congrats!
Well, then

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:44 am

Excellent! Congrats to Spocklette, and her proud dad.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:23 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:27 pm

We get to Indy sometime Thursday and will have a few free hours in the Lucas Oil Stadium area.

Friday, we will be at the convention and Saturday morning she walks across the stage and we head for home. She has a big test on Monday.
I've been in Indy when that convention is going on. It's so big they don't even bother booking anything else in downtown Indy that weekend. I've heard that this is the weekend that experienced bar servers all try to take off -- seems that the FFA folks are not big drinkers, for some reason.

It is impressive to be driving downtown and see a sea of blue coats crossing at the crosswalk. It's a slightly different look than when the NFL draft combine is held.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:08 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:23 pm
Spock wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:27 pm

I've been in Indy when that convention is going on. It's so big they don't even bother booking anything else in downtown Indy that weekend. I've heard that this is the weekend that experienced bar servers all try to take off -- seems that the FFA folks are not big drinkers, for some reason.

It is impressive to be driving downtown and see a sea of blue coats crossing at the crosswalk. It's a slightly different look than when the NFL draft combine is held.
Yeah, the sea of blue coats should be awesome.

She was the first female to get the American out of our school -there were 6 previous-and a group of youngish career agricultural area women kicked in some money for her trip-gas and so forth and she got a cool story (with them) in the paper.

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:58 pm

Just got back.

Some might be surprised that the FFA is possibly the most evenly gender balanced national youth organization there is. Lots of girls involved and they might outnumber the guys at the highest levels.

Spotted some guys that seemed to have a struck on a good way to talk to cute girls. They were "Collecting States"-ie taking pictures with girls from the various states. I guess, until recently, there was a passport book handed out and members would have other state people sign it. A good way to encourage interaction and meeting people.

The Spocklette was very emotional yesterday about being able to wear the blue jacket again for the awards ceremonies and a few tears were shed when she had to take it off last night for the time. she had not been able to wear it since high school.

I had not realized how for many members taking the blue jacket off for the last time is a very bittersweet experience. Mrs. Spock cried during the installation of new national officers which was built around them getting new jackets and the old officers taking theirs off.

We heard one girl say that she had to go for the American Degree so she could keep wearing the jacket.

I ended my FFA experiences with high school-which I now regret. I should have gone for the American degree.

We splurged on one meal. We had never eaten at a classic downtown steakhouse and I have watched a lot of Youtube videos on dry-aged beef and steakhouses so we chose a place that made the Spocklette's eyes go wide at the prices.

I had a dry-aged Porterhouse ($85) with Lobster Bisque and whatever else. This was the first time I have ever eaten dry-aged beef. While it was obviously good, I think our own beef that Mrs. Spock makes on the grill is just as good or better.-so it was really a one-time splurge.

Actually, I very seldom order steak in restaurants because we have our own excellent beef at home and I really like seafood, so some sort of seafood is usually my order of choice in a nicer place.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:10 pm

Most excellent.
Well, then

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:10 pm

Spock wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:58 pm
Just got back.

Some might be surprised that the FFA is possibly the most evenly gender balanced national youth organization there is. Lots of girls involved and they might outnumber the guys at the highest levels.

Spotted some guys that seemed to have a struck on a good way to talk to cute girls. They were "Collecting States"-ie taking pictures with girls from the various states. I guess, until recently, there was a passport book handed out and members would have other state people sign it. A good way to encourage interaction and meeting people.

The Spocklette was very emotional yesterday about being able to wear the blue jacket again for the awards ceremonies and a few tears were shed when she had to take it off last night for the time. she had not been able to wear it since high school.

I had not realized how for many members taking the blue jacket off for the last time is a very bittersweet experience. Mrs. Spock cried during the installation of new national officers which was built around them getting new jackets and the old officers taking theirs off.

We heard one girl say that she had to go for the American Degree so she could keep wearing the jacket.

I ended my FFA experiences with high school-which I now regret. I should have gone for the American degree.

We splurged on one meal. We had never eaten at a classic downtown steakhouse and I have watched a lot of Youtube videos on dry-aged beef and steakhouses so we chose a place that made the Spocklette's eyes go wide at the prices.

I had a dry-aged Porterhouse ($85) with Lobster Bisque and whatever else. This was the first time I have ever eaten dry-aged beef. While it was obviously good, I think our own beef that Mrs. Spock makes on the grill is just as good or better.-so it was really a one-time splurge.

Actually, I very seldom order steak in restaurants because we have our own excellent beef at home and I really like seafood, so some sort of seafood is usually my order of choice in a nicer place.
St. Elmo's, I presume? I've been there a few times -- always on someone else's nickel. I agree that the steaks are good, but not any better than I can get elsewhere. I go for the shrimp cocktail, and back off on the steak. I've actually had better steaks at Shula's (which is now closed) and Ruth's Chris. But I eat there so rarely it's hard for me to make a call about which place is better.

Very few really good seafood places in Indiana -- too difficult to get anything fresh.

I'm glad it sounds like a good (if sometimes teary) time was had by all.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

#11 Post by Spock » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:10 pm
Spock wrote:
Just got back.

St. Elmo's, I presume? I've been there a few times -- always on someone else's nickel. I agree that the steaks are good, but not any better than I can get elsewhere. I go for the shrimp cocktail, and back off on the steak. I've actually had better steaks at Shula's (which is now closed) and Ruth's Chris. But I eat there so rarely it's hard for me to make a call about which place is better.

Very few really good seafood places in Indiana -- too difficult to get anything fresh.

You hit the nickel. St. Elmo's it was. I did not have the shrimp cocktail-but it is obviously a big thing there and it looked good from what I saw from other people. Ruth's Chris was full for walk-ins. I saw another place (Hyde Park Steakhouse) that was just opening on Friday night.

The Spocklette got lucky in FFA-really bad ag teacher her first year then a place holder her second-then a great one her last 2.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:44 am

Spock wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Spock wrote:
Just got back.

You hit the nickel. St. Elmo's it was. I did not have the shrimp cocktail-but it is obviously a big thing there and it looked good from what I saw from other people. Ruth's Chris was full for walk-ins. I saw another place (Hyde Park Steakhouse) that was just opening on Friday night.

The Spocklette got lucky in FFA-really bad ag teacher her first year then a place holder her second-then a great one her last 2.
How many ounces was the porterhouse? That's actually a good price if it was 16oz or more.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:26 am

Spock wrote:
I had a dry-aged Porterhouse ($85) with Lobster Bisque and whatever else.
When we go to the Golden Corral, we get lots of steak for $15 and we get fish sticks as well. I'm not big on the soup, but I guess we could put the fish sticks in their soup for a kind of bisque. From the looks of the meat, it's pretty ancient. And because this is Mrs. SSS's birthday this week, we've got a two-fer.

Dining out doesn't get any better than this.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Appa23

#14 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:44 am
Spock wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:

How many ounces was the porterhouse? That's actually a good price if it was 16oz or more.
After watching "Ugly Delicious" with David Chang, and knowing now that chefs secretly judge the customers based on steak orders, I think that the more important question is how you ordered it done?

Spock

#15 Post by Spock » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:04 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:26 am
Spock wrote:
I had a dry-aged Porterhouse ($85) with Lobster Bisque and whatever else.
When we go to the Golden Corral, we get lots of steak for $15 and we get fish sticks as well. I'm not big on the soup, but I guess we could put the fish sticks in their soup for a kind of bisque. From the looks of the meat, it's pretty ancient. And because this is Mrs. SSS's birthday this week, we've got a two-fer.

Dining out doesn't get any better than this.
As I said it was probably a one-time splurge as we have freezers of our own beef that Mrs S makes on the grill that melts in your mouth. I alaways say it tastes like candy. It was really a curiosity factor to try dry-aged beef. When you have sold hundreds (thousands?) of fat beef over the years-you kind of want to see what they turn it into.

I will see your Golden Corral and raise you "Spock farm raised Angus cross" on the grill.

I ordered it medium-well.

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:34 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:04 am
I will see your Golden Corral and raise you "Spock farm raised Angus cross" on the grill.

But I've got a twofer at the Golden Corral.

Spock

#17 Post by Spock » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:43 pm

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Spock wrote:

I have to respect that at your age-what do you do? hang around all day for the second time to kick in? and while I realize that is normal behavior at the Golden Corral I always get kicked out after the first "Fer". What is your secret?

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:54 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:43 pm
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Spock wrote:

I have to respect that at your age-what do you do? hang around all day for the second time to kick in? and while I realize that is normal behavior at the Golden Corral I always get kicked out after the first "Fer". What is your secret?
One for me and one for Mrs. SSS.

I do have a secret though if you can arrange it. They raise their prices about $5 from the lunch price to the dinner price at 4:00 pm and bring the steaks and whatever else is currently on special out. So, if you go about 3:45 or so and get a salad and take your time, by the time you're ready for the second plate, they'll have all the dinner dishes out and you can get steak at lunch prices.