Things that annoy me. #1,857

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Things that annoy me. #1,857

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Just sent an email, cc'ing our top HR person in the company.

I got an automated reply "I am on vacation and have limited access to email." That's it. Every word.

Really? You don't think, if it is important enough to let someone know you are not going to read the email, at least immediately, you might give them an idea when you would return? Or, if it is something urgent, perhaps provide an alternate contact?

Not impressed with this person...at all.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

Re: Things that annoy me. #1,857

#2 Post by triviawayne » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Join the club.

My HR department continues to miss meeting their legal obligations.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:10 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:54 pm

I got an automated reply "I am on vacation and have limited access to email." That's it. Every word.

Really? You don't think, if it is important enough to let someone know you are not going to read the email, at least immediately, you might give them an idea when you would return? Or, if it is something urgent, perhaps provide an alternate contact?

I get those all the time. There is no indication of who to contact in their absence, no word on when they'll be back, etc.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:26 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:10 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:54 pm

I get those all the time. There is no indication of who to contact in their absence, no word on when they'll be back, etc.
My guess that is, in some cases, it is purposeful.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 pm

With our version of Outlook, you get an auto response message in glowing font as soon as you input the recipient's name. You know before you type the subject or even the letter that Steve will be out until Wednesday or that Marcia is working from home the next two days. It's just a matter of time until you hit Send and get the inevitable response message back. Thanks, Steve and Marcia. I already know.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

kroxquo

#6 Post by kroxquo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 am

I got laid off from my school back in April due to declining enrollment because of Covid. They notified me via email at 4:47 PM on April 1 while I was coaching the soccer team. Spring break started the next day. They did even give a reason for the layoff simply saying that my contract would not be renewed. When I got home and checked my email and read this, I emailed the principal, assistant principal, bookeeper, superintendent, and director of school affairs. All of them had the same "I will be out of the office until after spring break is over" message. I was peeved. When I returned to school, I set up a meeting with all of them and told them that they were cowardly in the way they handled it. I am not a fan of vacation messages.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 am

kroxquo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 am
I got laid off from my school back in April due to declining enrollment because of Covid. They notified me via email at 4:47 PM on April 1 while I was coaching the soccer team. Spring break started the next day. They did even give a reason for the layoff simply saying that my contract would not be renewed. When I got home and checked my email and read this, I emailed the principal, assistant principal, bookeeper, superintendent, and director of school affairs. All of them had the same "I will be out of the office until after spring break is over" message. I was peeved. When I returned to school, I set up a meeting with all of them and told them that they were cowardly in the way they handled it. I am not a fan of vacation messages.
I'm sorry to hear this. You are right, it was cowardly and a complete lack of leadership.

I had a boss that would always plan to be out on vacation the day he needed to layoff someone and he'd appoint another direct report to do the dirty work. So peers were the ones to give the news. At one job, a direct report was given the task to go get her boss and walk her down the hall to the HR person to be given the ax.

I generally like out of office notifications when they provide the information needed for the person sending the email to escalate or decide to wait for a response.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 am
I generally like out of office notifications when they provide the information needed for the person sending the email to escalate or decide to wait for a response.
Out of office messages (including voice mails) should have the date you're returning (or say you'll be out indefinitely if you don't know the return date like an upcoming surgery), and alternate contacts.

Sending people termination notices like krox got is tacky and cowardly. But I know from my personal experience that I would sometimes try to catch up before going on vacation and send out reports, drafts, and similar documents before I left so that the recipients could have and act on them without losing a week or more, even if I wasn't going to be there. When I did that, I would send a cover note saying I would be out but that I wanted to be sure they got the information before I left and what they should do if they had any questions or comments.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:56 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 am
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 am
Out of office messages (including voice mails) should have the date you're returning (or say you'll be out indefinitely if you don't know the return date like an upcoming surgery), and alternate contacts.

Sending people termination notices like krox got is tacky and cowardly. But I know from my personal experience that I would sometimes try to catch up before going on vacation and send out reports, drafts, and similar documents before I left so that the recipients could have and act on them without losing a week or more, even if I wasn't going to be there. When I did that, I would send a cover note saying I would be out but that I wanted to be sure they got the information before I left and what they should do if they had any questions or comments.
I had a job where my layoff notice came to me at the office via overnight FedEx. Had they handled things properly, I would've been moved to another job in the company, but the posting expired the day before I got my notice. The day before I got my notice from the regional manager, he was at my location, but was too much of a wussy to tell me face to face.

I then demanded a higher severance and got it.