Alec Baldwin kills one with a prop gun, injures another

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Re: Alec Baldwin kills one with a prop gun, injures another

#51 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:13 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am
BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 am
Alec Baldwin and weapons handler to be charged with manslaughter in deadly ‘Rust’ shooting
New Mexico prosecutors said they are filing felony criminal charges against actor Alec Baldwin and the armorer of the low-budget western “Rust,” following the fatal shooting of the film’s cinematographer.

The charges represent a dramatic culmination of more than a year of speculation over who, if anyone, would be held accountable for the tragic death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, a rising star in the film industry. Hutchins was shot in the chest Oct. 21, 2021, as she rehearsed a scene with Baldwin and the film’s director, Joel Souza, who was also wounded.

Baldwin will be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in Hutchins’ death.
Was Hutchins pregnant? How else would they be charging Baldwin with two counts?
“This decision distorts Halyna Hutchins’ tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice," according to a statement by Baldwin's attorney, Luke Nikas.

"Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun — or anywhere on the movie set. He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win.”
Wouldn't win if I was on the jury.
Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from criminal negligence or recklessness
Pointing a real gun at someone and pulling the trigger without personally verifying the gun is unloaded (or the rounds are benign) is negligence and reckless in my mind, and every other gun owner.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#52 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:36 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:13 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am
BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 am
Alec Baldwin and weapons handler to be charged with manslaughter in deadly ‘Rust’ shooting

Was Hutchins pregnant? How else would they be charging Baldwin with two counts?
“This decision distorts Halyna Hutchins’ tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice," according to a statement by Baldwin's attorney, Luke Nikas.

"Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun — or anywhere on the movie set. He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win.”
Wouldn't win if I was on the jury.
Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from criminal negligence or recklessness
Pointing a real gun at someone and pulling the trigger without personally verifying the gun is unloaded (or the rounds are benign) is negligence and reckless in my mind, and every other gun owner.
(Emphasis added.) I wonder how long it will be before Estonut shows up to chide you for overgeneralizing. I won't hold my breath. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#53 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:53 am

Here's why there are two manslaughter charges:
NYT wrote:If a jury found Mr. Baldwin or Ms. Gutierrez-Reed guilty, it would choose between the two manslaughter charges. The more serious one includes a firearm enhancement and a mandatory five-year sentence; the other charge carries a sentence of up to 18 months.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

#54 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 am

Vandal wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:05 pm
Filming of Rust will continue in January
They better shoot quickly before the trial starts. (Too soon?)
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Vandal
Director of Promos

#55 Post by Vandal » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:34 pm

Criminal charges against Alec Baldwin in the fatal "Rust" movie shooting set have been dropped, ABC News reports.

https://twitter.com/WCVB/status/1649133 ... 84/photo/1
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Vandal
Director of Promos

#56 Post by Vandal » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:53 pm

Weapons expert was likely hungover on set of fatal 'Rust' shooting, prosecutors allege

The weapons expert on the set of the Western movie “Rust” was likely “hungover” when she put a live bullet into a gun that later killed a cinematographer, prosecutors contend in new court filings.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer for "Rust," was charged with involuntary manslaughter after 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot by a set gun handled by actor Alec Baldwin in October 2021.

Prosecutors said in a filing Friday that witnesses will testify that Gutierrez-Reed was "drinking heavily and smoking marijuana in the evenings during the shooting of 'Rust.'"

“It is likely that Defendant Gutierrez was hung over when she inserted a live bullet into a gun that she knew was going to be used at some point by an actor while filming a shooting scene with other actors and crew members," prosecutors alleged.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/we ... -rcna89230
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#57 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:58 pm

Why would they have live bullets around anyway?
Well, then

Bob Juch

#58 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:28 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:58 pm
Why would they have live bullets around anyway?
The guns used in the film were not prop guns. They were real working replicas of classics. Crew members had been using real bullets in them during off hours—bad idea.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#59 Post by Vandal » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:45 pm

Grand jury indicts Alec Baldwin in fatal shooting of cinematographer on movie set in New Mexico

A grand jury indicted Alec Baldwin on Friday on an involuntary manslaughter charge in a 2021 fatal shooting during a rehearsal on a movie set in New Mexico, reviving a dormant case against the A-list actor.

Special prosecutors brought the case before a grand jury in Santa Fe this week, months after receiving a new analysis of the gun that was used.

Baldwin, the lead actor and a co-producer on the Western movie “Rust,” was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal on a movie set outside Santa Fe in October 2021 when the gun went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/national ... o/3252475/
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#60 Post by Vandal » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 pm

‘Rust’ movie armorer sentenced to 18 months in prison for involuntary manslaughter

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the armorer of the film “Rust” who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter last month for the 2021 on-set fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, was sentenced by a New Mexico judge to 18 months in prison Monday, the maximum possible punishment.

“You alone turned a safe weapon into a lethal weapon,” the judge said. “But for you, Ms. Hutchins would be alive, a husband would have his partner, and a little boy would have his mother.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/15/entertai ... index.html
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

BackInTex

#61 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:28 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 pm
‘Rust’ movie armorer sentenced to 18 months in prison for involuntary manslaughter

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the armorer of the film “Rust” who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter last month for the 2021 on-set fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, was sentenced by a New Mexico judge to 18 months in prison Monday, the maximum possible punishment.

“You alone turned a safe weapon into a lethal weapon,” the judge said. “But for you, Ms. Hutchins would be alive, a husband would have his partner, and a little boy would have his mother.”

What f’ing idiot. There is no such thing as a safe weapon. I’d demand a mistrial based on the fact the judge was unqualified.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#62 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:28 pm
Vandal wrote:

What f’ing idiot. There is no such thing as a safe weapon. I’d demand a mistrial based on the fact the judge was unqualified.
I think he was referring to the random live rounds found. I watched the whole thing.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#63 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Vandal wrote:

I think he was referring to the random live rounds found. I watched the whole thing.
Was there testimony that crew members had been using live rounds in the gun to shoot at targets?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#64 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Was there testimony that crew members had been using live rounds in the gun to shoot at targets?
Can't remember exactly. But the rounds were hers sent by her father.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#65 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Can't remember exactly. But the rounds were hers sent by her father.
That's news to me.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#66 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 pm

Well, then