Game #207 – Unbilled

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Game #207 – Unbilled

#26 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:40 am

kroxquo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 pm

B-49. The censors wanted to cut General McAuliffe’s famous reply to a Nazi surrender demand out of this film, but were finally convinced that no other word would do.

THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE
I had a feeling that the censors wouldn't be too concerned about using the word "Nuts" in a 1965 movie and I was right. This is Battleground, a 1949 film (that's also a much better movie).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#27 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 am
kroxquo wrote:

B-9. This horror movie features the only Oscar nominee for Best Original Song written in Latin … but the Pope would not have approved.

THE EXORCIST? THE OMEN?
This is definitely The Omen, which also won Jerry Goldsmith his only Oscar for the movie's score.
That was my bad. Got my Carmina Burana movies mixed up.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#28 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 am
kroxquo wrote:

B-9. This horror movie features the only Oscar nominee for Best Original Song written in Latin … but the Pope would not have approved.

THE EXORCIST? THE OMEN?
This is definitely The Omen, which also won Jerry Goldsmith his only Oscar for the movie's score.
One of the weirder moments in Oscar history was when they had to stage Ave Satani as one of the song nominees.

Of course, a lot of people think a bunch of people onstage singing "Hail, Satan" is perfectly appropriate for a Hollywood event....

Vandal
Director of Promos

#29 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:28 am

A-12. “I am the King. I tell, I am not TOLD. I am the VERB, sir, not the OBJECT.”
Nigel Hawthorne

A-16. “Now, you said that - you know, he was worshiped like a god. Now, is he a god? I don’t know if he's a god. I mean he ate a cat, so I mean, I don't, I don't know!”
Richard Jenkins

A-30. “Don't you ever touch a black man's radio, boy! You can do that in China, but you can get your ass killed out here, man!”
Chris Tucker

A-31. Her Broadway role in a Eugene O’Neill revival enabled her to complete the Triple Crown of Acting.
Jessica Lange

A-37. She made her film debut in a Shakespearean role that would later be played onscreen by Francesca Annis, Marion Cotillard, and Isuzu Yamada.
Jeanette Nolan

A-46. “I'm gonna hit you so hard that when you wake up your clothes will be out of style!”
Josh Brolin

A-58. “You can start by wiping that f**king dumb-ass smile off your rosy f**ing cheeks! Then you can give me a f**ing automobile! A f**ing Datsun, a f**ing Toyota, a f**ing Mustang, a f**ing Buick! Four f**ing wheels and a seat!”
Steve Martin

B-8. “Forgive me?”
“Forgive you for what?”
“For everything. For meeting you, in the first place. For taking the piece of grit out of your eye. For loving you. For bringing you so much misery.”
“I'll forgive you if you'll forgive me.”
Brief Encounter

B-12. “We don't commit murder here. We're a deeply religious people.”
“Religious? With ruined churches, no ministers, no priests, and children dancing naked?”
“They do love their divinity lessons.”
“But they are naked!”
“Naturally! It's much too dangerous to jump through the fire with your clothes on!”
The Wicker Man

B-28. “This country and its institutions belong to the people who inhibit it.”
Born Yesterday
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:03 pm

CONSOLIDATION:

Identify the 60 actors in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 40 groups, each consisting of two actors and two moves, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty actors will be used twice, each time in a different way. Thirty movies will be used twice.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. He has received more Oscar nominations for acting than any other winner of the Irving Thalberg Award.

CLINT EASTWOOD? WARREN BEATTY?

A-2. “I've been to a million auditions, and the same thing happens every time, where I get interrupted because someone wants to get a sandwich. Or I'm crying, and they start laughing. Or there's people sitting in the waiting room, and they're ... and they're like me but prettier and better at the ... because maybe I'm not good enough.”

TERI GARR? EMMA STONE?

A-3. This veteran actor made his last feature film in 1954 – the same year he began starring in the first of the two television series for which he won Emmy awards.

ROBERT YOUNG

A-4. “I brought a young lady swimming out here once - more than 20 years ago. It was after my wife had lost her mind. And my boys was dead. Me and this young lady was pretty wild, I guess. In pretty deep. We used to come out here on horseback and go swimmin' without no bathin' suits. One day she wanted to swim the horses across this tank. Kind of a crazy thing to do, but we done it anyway. She bet me a silver dollar she could beat me across. She did. This old horse I was riding didn't want to take the water. But she was always looking for somethin' to do like that. Somethin' wild. I bet she's still got that silver dollar.”

BEN JOHNSON?

A-5. Her screen career has included adaptations of works by Shakespeare, Dostoevski, Ibsen, Hemingway, John Osborne, and Ray Bradbury.

CLAIRE BLOOM

A-6. “Epilepsy, my friends, epilepsy! The same disease that struck down our own beloved Dostoevski! Give, give! From the bottom of your hearts!”

FRANK LANGELLA

A-7. This English actor starred in the first live-action film ever made from a video game.

BOB HOSKINS

A-8. “I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture ... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!”

MATTHEW MODINE

A-9. More than forty years after her untimely death, this actress was cited in Number One songs by Kim Carnes and Madonna.

JEAN HARLOW

A-10. “Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz!”

MEL BROOKS

A-11. Thanks to a new drug treatment, he was able to overcome crippling arthritis and revitalize his career – eventually winning an Oscar.

JAMES COBURN

A-12. “I am the King. I tell, I am not TOLD. I am the VERB, sir, not the OBJECT.”

NIGEL HAWTHORNE

A-13. He famously played a suspicious landlord on the big screen and an even more suspicious landlord on the small screen.

NORMAN FELL

A-14. “Yeah, my dog ate my stash, man.”

TOMMY CHONG?

A-15. She cemented her status as a Broadway legend when she asked the musical question, “Does anyone still wear a hat?”

ELAINE STRITCH

A-16. “Now, you said that - you know, he was worshiped like a god. Now, is he a god? I don’t know if he's a god. I mean he ate a cat, so I mean, I don't, I don't know!”

RICHARD JENKINS

A-17. She was leaving a restaurant with Goldie Hawn when she was hit by a passing motorist, which put her career on hold for three years.

EILEEN BRENNAN

A-18. “You watch your phraseology, young lady!”

PAUL FORD

A-19. In a single year, she had an affair with the action hero who starred in her first film and married the action hero who starred in her second film.

A-20. “Thank you for a memorable afternoon. Usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.”

JOHN GIELGUD

A-21. On screen, she responded passionately to the kisses of Marlon Brando, but accepted with reluctance a friendly peck from Charlton Heston.

KIM HUNTER

A-22. “Barney Quill … was my father!”

KATHRYN GRANT

A-23. This highly decorated World War II veteran starred in a controversial episode of The Twilight Zone that was removed from circulation for decades.

NEVILLE BRAND?

A-24. “God forgive me. I've persecuted her, and I did not believe her ... because I was filled with hate and envy. God help me to serve this chosen soul for the rest of my days. God help me! God help me!”

GLADYS COOPER

A-25. Lots of people over the years may have expressed a desire to kill this television commentator, but the conspirators in a 1995 thriller actually succeeded.

A-26. “Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep.”

MARGARET HAMILTON

A-27. This western star was the most famous of the 492 victims of the second most deadly single-building fire in American history.

BUCK JONES

A-28. “Great game, Jimmy. I especially liked that move in the seventh inning when you scratched your balls for an hour.”

DAVID STRATHAIRN

A-29. Her on-screen husbands included Cornel Wilde, Don Ameche, John Lund, and John Payne.

GENE TIERNEY

A-30. “Don't you ever touch a black man's radio, boy! You can do that in China, but you can get your ass killed out here, man!”

CHRIS TUCKER

A-31. Her Broadway role in a Eugene O’Neill revival enabled her to complete the Triple Crown of Acting.

JESSICA LANGE

A-32. “Look at this! Look at this! I'm so ticked off that I'm molting!

GILBERT GOTTFRIED

A-33. Known for her supporting roles in eleven Jerry Lewis comedies, this veteran character actress died of cancer five days after leaving the cast of the Broadway musical that brought her her only major award nomination.

KATHLEEN FREEMAN

A-34. “I need that wedding. I need some beauty and some music and some place cards before I die. It's like heroin.”

DEBBIE REYNOLDS

A-35. Bette Davis, Cate Blanchett, and this character actress each played the same real-life role on the big screen twice.

FLORA ROBSON

A-36. “One night, Bobby Vinton sent us champagne. There was nothing like it. I didn't think there was anything strange in any of this. You know, a twenty-one-year-old kid with such connections. He was an exciting guy. He was really nice. He introduced me to everybody. Everybody wanted to be nice to him. And he knew how to handle it.”

LORRAINE BRACCO

A-37. She made her film debut in a Shakespearean role that would later be played onscreen by Francesca Annis, Marion Cotillard, and Isuzu Yamada.

JEANETTE NOLAN

A-38. “Danny, Danny, there's a lot of, uh, well, badness in the world today. I see it in court today. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't wanna do it, but felt I owed it to them.”

TED KNIGHT

A-39. In two of his best-known film roles, he helped kill an entire family and single-handedly killed Robert Redford.

SCOTT WILSON

A-40. “If I could only have one food for the rest of my life? That's easy. Pez. Cherry-flavored Pez. No question about it.”

JERRY O'CONNELL

A-41. In stage musicals, he played roles that had previously been played on film by Jack Lemmon and Adolphe Menjou.

JERRY ORBACH

A-42. “Something hit us! All the flight crew is dead or badly injured! There's no one left to fly the plane! Help us! Oh my God, help us!”

KAREN BLACK? JULIE HAGERTY?

A-43. This was the youngest African American actor to win a competitive Oscar.

LUPITA N'YONGO? JENNIFER HUDSON?

A-44. “If there's nothing else, there's applause. I've listened backstage to people applaud. It's like - like waves of love coming over the footlights and wrapping you up. Imagine, to know every night that different hundreds of people love you. They smile, their eyes shine, you've pleased them. They want you. You belong. Just that alone is worth anything.”

ANNE BAXTER

A-45. He appeared in screen versions of both an Arthur Miller play and a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical.

CAMERON MITCHELL

A-46. “I'm gonna hit you so hard that when you wake up your clothes will be out of style!”

JOSH BROLIN

A-47. Two decades after this British actor played an iconic television role, his son-in-law took over the same role.

PETER DAVISON

A-48. “Somehow it just don't seem fittin' for a bridegroom to spend his weddin' night in a tree.”

JANE POWELL

A-49. He appeared onscreen in adaptations of novels by – among others – Rudyard Kipling, Herman Melville, Larry McMurtry, Conrad Richter, and Jerzy Kosinski.

A-50. “Some people have a hard time explaining rock 'n' roll. I don't think anyone can really explain rock 'n' roll. Maybe Pete Townshend, but that's okay. Rock 'n' roll is a lifestyle and a way of thinking ... and it's not about money and popularity. Although, some money would be nice. But it's a voice that says, ‘Here I am ... and f**k you if you can't understand me.’ And one of these people is gonna save the world. And that means that rock 'n' roll can save the world ... all of us together. And the chicks are great. But what it all comes down to is that thing. The indefinable thing when people catch something in your music.”

JASON LEE

A-51. When she was in her sixties, this respected Irish actress launched a second career as a cabaret singer. (I saw her one-woman show and she was wonderful.)

A-52. “I think I do remember hearing something on TV about colon cleansin'. They say everyone should have one. I'm thinkin' about gettin' me an appointment and go down and get my colon cleansed thoroughly.”

EDDIE MURPHY

A-53. He and Diana Ross are the only performers in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to have also received Oscar nominations as actors.

BOBBY DARIN

A-54. “The only reason for being a bee is to make honey. And the only reason for making honey is so I can eat it.”

STERLING HOLLOWAY

A-55. As a result of their work on their most popular movie, this British actor and his wife became ardent supporters of animal rights and eventually established a foundation named for that movie.

A-56. “I'm hard to get, Steve. All you have to do is ask me.”

LAUREN BACALL

A-57. Though he was undoubtedly part Polynesian, there is some doubt about the accuracy of his claim that his mother was a Tahitian princess.

JON HALL

A-58. “You can start by wiping that f**king dumb-ass smile off your rosy f**ing cheeks! Then you can give me a f**ing automobile! A f**ing Datsun, a f**ing Toyota, a f**ing Mustang, a f**ing Buick! Four f**ing wheels and a seat!”

STEVE MARTIN

A-59. The knee movements of the smallest mushroom in Fantasia were modeled after this screen funnyman.

CURLY HOWARD

A-60. “You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair.”

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. Stephen Spielberg named the main antagonist in this movie after his lawyer.

JAWS

B-2. “What is your nationality?”
“I'm a drunkard.”

CASABLANCA

B-3. While many think this movie cops out on the ending of the original novel, it actually follows the changes that Agatha Christie herself made in the stage adaptation.

TEN LITTLE INDIANS (OR AND THEN THERE WERE NONE)? MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS? WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION?

B-4. “Listen kid, I'm not gonna bulls**t you, all right? I don't give a good f**k what you know or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless. Not to get information. It's amusing to me to torture a cop. You can say anything you want ‘cause I've heard it all before. All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get.”

RESERVOIR DOGS

B-5. The 1966 remake of this 1943 comedy marked the final screen appearance of one of Hollywood’s most beloved stars.

THE MORE THE MERRIER

B-6. “You shoulda shot that fella a long time ago. Now he's too rich to kill.”

GIANT

B-7. This 1957 classic was the first Disney movie sans animation to be selected for preservation by the National Film Registry.

OLD YELLER

B-8. “Forgive me?”
“Forgive you for what?”
“For everything. For meeting you, in the first place. For taking the piece of grit out of your eye. For loving you. For bringing you so much misery.”

BRIEF ENCOUNTER

THE OMEN

B-10. “You're probably thinking, ‘My boyfriend said this was a superhero movie, but that guy in the suit just turned that other guy into a f**king kebab!’ Well, I may be super, but I'm no hero. And yeah, technically, this is a murder. But some of the best love stories start with a murder. And that's exactly what this is, a love story. And to tell it right, I gotta take you back to long before I squeezed this ass into red spandex.

DEADPOOL

B-11. Ira Hayes played himself in this movie.

SANDS OF IWO JIMA

“Religious? With ruined churches, no ministers, no priests, and children dancing naked?”
“But they are naked!”
“Naturally! It's much too dangerous to jump through the fire with your clothes on!”

THE WICKER MAN

B-13. This film marks the only time Frederick Douglass was portrayed – albeit briefly – by an actor in a feature film. (Now there’s a biopic waiting to happen….)

LINCOLN

B-14. “Sorry to wake you but something has come up.”
“Yeah, I know, she just paid me a visit with a butcher knife.”

PLAY MISTY FOR ME

B-15. The University of Arizona Agricultural Department were given the assignment of making sure the corn in this musical lived up to the claims made about it.

OKLAHOMA

B-16. “I'm not a mouse and I'm not a man. I'm a dentist!”

THE PALEFACE

B-17. Four words have been added to the title of this blockbuster to match the titles of its three sequels.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

B-18. ‘He used to be a big shot.”

THE ROARING TWENTIES

B-19. This 1934 movie reunited a popular character star with the actor who had played his son in his Oscar-winning role.

TREASURE ISLAND

B-20. Did you hear that, Annie?”
“I heard it. About time one of you lunkheads said it!”

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

B-21. If you want to see President Harry Truman sing a duet with Colonel Bat Guano, this will surely be your only chance.

KISS ME KATE

B-22. “According to the map, we've only gone four inches.”

A WALK IN THE WOODS

B-23. Frank Capra wanted Marie Dressler to play the title role in this movie, but Harry Cohen nixed the idea of borrowing her from MGM.

LADY FOR A DAY

B-24. “So what resolution should we make for the new year? It's to let God know that you have the guts and the will to do it alone. Resolve to fight for yourselves, and for others, for those you love. And that part of God within you will be fighting with you all the way.”

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

B-25. This movie marked the second time that Deborah Kerr played a role that had previously earned Margaret Leighton a Tony.

NIGHT OF THE IGUANA

B-26. “Don't f**k with me, fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.”

MOMMY DEAREST

B-27. This 1953 adaptation of a sci-fi classic changed the setting from Victorian England to southern California.

WAR OF THE WORLDS

BORN YESTERDAY

B-29. This widely-panned 2011 film was a remake of one of the movies quoted in Part A.

ARTHUR

B-30. “I mean, why do we have a winner? I mean, if we just wanted to intimidate the districts, why not round up twenty-four of them at random and execute them all at once? Be a lot faster.”

One of the HUNGER GAMES movies

B-31. One of the young stars of this movie famously – but temporarily – changed her name to honor a bird injured during filming.

LAST SUMMER

B-32. “How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!”
“Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team the Ducks?”

SPACE JAM

B-33. This 1951 film is generally regarded as the best of more than 50 screen and television adaptations of the same source material – including an animated version twenty years later in which the lead actor reprised his role.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

B-34. “My first novel, on which I had labored for seven years, was just out. Surprisingly for a scholarly work on early Virginia, it was doing a brisk nationwide sale - possibly because it was liberally peppered with sex. Because, after all, early Virginia was liberally peppered with sex. Could that have been why Hollywood bought it?”

BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

B-35. The big band classic performed by Dorothy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers in this movie was the first recording to receive a Gold Record.

SUN VALLEY SERENADE

B-36. “Four years ago something terrible happened here. We did nothing about it, nothing. The whole town fell into a sort of settled melancholy and all the people in it closed their eyes and held their tongues and failed the test with a whimper. And now something terrible's going to happen again – and in a way, we're lucky, because we've been given a second chance.”

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK

B-37. This movie featured my favorite actress in a role originated on Broadway by Tammy Grimes.

CALIFORNIA SUITE

B-38. “We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

DEAD POETS SOCIETY

B-39. The first American film by a European director who went on to win two Oscars, it was notorious at the time for its strip poker scene.

THE ICE STORM

B-40. “Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!”

42ND STREET

B-41. One of the stars of the preceding film made a long-desired transition – and successful – transition to tougher roles with this movie.

MURDER MY SWEET

B-42. “I'm ten years old. My life is half over and I don't even know if I'm black with white stripes or white with black stripes!”

MADAGASCAR

B-43. This comedy was a gender-reversed remake of an earlier film starring Clark Gable’s wife and Florence Eldredge’s husband.

LIVING IT UP

B-44. “You've got it all wrong, the issue here ain't p*ssy. The issue here is monkey.”

THE RIGHT STUFF

B-45. This movie featured Nora Charles as Glinda.

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD

B-46. “Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me, I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done.”

SERGEANT YORK

B-47. Four of the five actors nominated for Oscars for this movie were never nominated before or after; the fifth was nominated four other times without ever winning.

B-48. “It must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you're the smartest person in the room.”
“”No, it’s awful!”

BROADCAST NEWS

B-49. The censors wanted to cut General McAuliffe’s famous reply to a Nazi surrender demand out of this film, but were finally convinced that no other word would do.

BATTLEGROUND

B-50. “Hey, that's my cat! His name's Jake, not Fellini! I won't have any ‘eenie’ in this house!”

BREAKING AWAY
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

franktangredi

#31 Post by franktangredi » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Among the actors, all of the answers are either correct or include the correct answer.

Among the movies, there are three 'definite' answers that are wrong. The one with alternate answers includes the correct answer.
littlebeast13 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:03 pm
CONSOLIDATION:

Identify the 60 actors in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 40 groups, each consisting of two actors and two moves, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty actors will be used twice, each time in a different way. Thirty movies will be used twice.

A-1. He has received more Oscar nominations for acting than any other winner of the Irving Thalberg Award.

A-2. “I've been to a million auditions, and the same thing happens every time, where I get interrupted because someone wants to get a sandwich. Or I'm crying, and they start laughing. Or there's people sitting in the waiting room, and they're ... and they're like me but prettier and better at the ... because maybe I'm not good enough.”

TERI GARR? EMMA STONE?

A-3. This veteran actor made his last feature film in 1954 – the same year he began starring in the first of the two television series for which he won Emmy awards.

ROBERT YOUNG

A-4. “I brought a young lady swimming out here once - more than 20 years ago. It was after my wife had lost her mind. And my boys was dead. Me and this young lady was pretty wild, I guess. In pretty deep. We used to come out here on horseback and go swimmin' without no bathin' suits. One day she wanted to swim the horses across this tank. Kind of a crazy thing to do, but we done it anyway. She bet me a silver dollar she could beat me across. She did. This old horse I was riding didn't want to take the water. But she was always looking for somethin' to do like that. Somethin' wild. I bet she's still got that silver dollar.”

BEN JOHNSON?

A-5. Her screen career has included adaptations of works by Shakespeare, Dostoevski, Ibsen, Hemingway, John Osborne, and Ray Bradbury.

CLAIRE BLOOM

A-6. “Epilepsy, my friends, epilepsy! The same disease that struck down our own beloved Dostoevski! Give, give! From the bottom of your hearts!”

FRANK LANGELLA

A-7. This English actor starred in the first live-action film ever made from a video game.

BOB HOSKINS

A-8. “I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture ... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!”

MATTHEW MODINE

A-9. More than forty years after her untimely death, this actress was cited in Number One songs by Kim Carnes and Madonna.

JEAN HARLOW

A-10. “Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz!”

MEL BROOKS

A-11. Thanks to a new drug treatment, he was able to overcome crippling arthritis and revitalize his career – eventually winning an Oscar.

JAMES COBURN

NIGEL HAWTHORNE

A-13. He famously played a suspicious landlord on the big screen and an even more suspicious landlord on the small screen.

NORMAN FELL

A-14. “Yeah, my dog ate my stash, man.”

TOMMY CHONG?

A-15. She cemented her status as a Broadway legend when she asked the musical question, “Does anyone still wear a hat?”

ELAINE STRITCH

RICHARD JENKINS

A-17. She was leaving a restaurant with Goldie Hawn when she was hit by a passing motorist, which put her career on hold for three years.

EILEEN BRENNAN

A-18. “You watch your phraseology, young lady!”

PAUL FORD

A-19. In a single year, she had an affair with the action hero who starred in her first film and married the action hero who starred in her second film.

A-20. “Thank you for a memorable afternoon. Usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.”

JOHN GIELGUD

A-21. On screen, she responded passionately to the kisses of Marlon Brando, but accepted with reluctance a friendly peck from Charlton Heston.

KIM HUNTER

A-22. “Barney Quill … was my father!”

KATHRYN GRANT

A-23. This highly decorated World War II veteran starred in a controversial episode of The Twilight Zone that was removed from circulation for decades.

NEVILLE BRAND?

A-24. “God forgive me. I've persecuted her, and I did not believe her ... because I was filled with hate and envy. God help me to serve this chosen soul for the rest of my days. God help me! God help me!”

GLADYS COOPER

A-25. Lots of people over the years may have expressed a desire to kill this television commentator, but the conspirators in a 1995 thriller actually succeeded.

A-26. “Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep.”

MARGARET HAMILTON

A-27. This western star was the most famous of the 492 victims of the second most deadly single-building fire in American history.

BUCK JONES

A-28. “Great game, Jimmy. I especially liked that move in the seventh inning when you scratched your balls for an hour.”

DAVID STRATHAIRN

A-29. Her on-screen husbands included Cornel Wilde, Don Ameche, John Lund, and John Payne.

GENE TIERNEY

CHRIS TUCKER

JESSICA LANGE

A-32. “Look at this! Look at this! I'm so ticked off that I'm molting!

GILBERT GOTTFRIED

A-33. Known for her supporting roles in eleven Jerry Lewis comedies, this veteran character actress died of cancer five days after leaving the cast of the Broadway musical that brought her her only major award nomination.

KATHLEEN FREEMAN

A-34. “I need that wedding. I need some beauty and some music and some place cards before I die. It's like heroin.”

DEBBIE REYNOLDS

A-35. Bette Davis, Cate Blanchett, and this character actress each played the same real-life role on the big screen twice.

FLORA ROBSON

A-36. “One night, Bobby Vinton sent us champagne. There was nothing like it. I didn't think there was anything strange in any of this. You know, a twenty-one-year-old kid with such connections. He was an exciting guy. He was really nice. He introduced me to everybody. Everybody wanted to be nice to him. And he knew how to handle it.”

LORRAINE BRACCO

JEANETTE NOLAN

A-38. “Danny, Danny, there's a lot of, uh, well, badness in the world today. I see it in court today. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't wanna do it, but felt I owed it to them.”

TED KNIGHT

A-39. In two of his best-known film roles, he helped kill an entire family and single-handedly killed Robert Redford.

SCOTT WILSON

A-40. “If I could only have one food for the rest of my life? That's easy. Pez. Cherry-flavored Pez. No question about it.”

JERRY O'CONNELL

A-41. In stage musicals, he played roles that had previously been played on film by Jack Lemmon and Adolphe Menjou.

JERRY ORBACH

A-42. “Something hit us! All the flight crew is dead or badly injured! There's no one left to fly the plane! Help us! Oh my God, help us!”

A-44. “If there's nothing else, there's applause. I've listened backstage to people applaud. It's like - like waves of love coming over the footlights and wrapping you up. Imagine, to know every night that different hundreds of people love you. They smile, their eyes shine, you've pleased them. They want you. You belong. Just that alone is worth anything.”

ANNE BAXTER

A-45. He appeared in screen versions of both an Arthur Miller play and a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical.

CAMERON MITCHELL

JOSH BROLIN

A-47. Two decades after this British actor played an iconic television role, his son-in-law took over the same role.

PETER DAVISON

A-48. “Somehow it just don't seem fittin' for a bridegroom to spend his weddin' night in a tree.”

JANE POWELL

A-49. He appeared onscreen in adaptations of novels by – among others – Rudyard Kipling, Herman Melville, Larry McMurtry, Conrad Richter, and Jerzy Kosinski.

A-50. “Some people have a hard time explaining rock 'n' roll. I don't think anyone can really explain rock 'n' roll. Maybe Pete Townshend, but that's okay. Rock 'n' roll is a lifestyle and a way of thinking ... and it's not about money and popularity. Although, some money would be nice. But it's a voice that says, ‘Here I am ... and f**k you if you can't understand me.’ And one of these people is gonna save the world. And that means that rock 'n' roll can save the world ... all of us together. And the chicks are great. But what it all comes down to is that thing. The indefinable thing when people catch something in your music.”

JASON LEE

A-51. When she was in her sixties, this respected Irish actress launched a second career as a cabaret singer. (I saw her one-woman show and she was wonderful.)

A-52. “I think I do remember hearing something on TV about colon cleansin'. They say everyone should have one. I'm thinkin' about gettin' me an appointment and go down and get my colon cleansed thoroughly.”

EDDIE MURPHY

A-53. He and Diana Ross are the only performers in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to have also received Oscar nominations as actors.

BOBBY DARIN

A-54. “The only reason for being a bee is to make honey. And the only reason for making honey is so I can eat it.”

STERLING HOLLOWAY

A-55. As a result of their work on their most popular movie, this British actor and his wife became ardent supporters of animal rights and eventually established a foundation named for that movie.

A-56. “I'm hard to get, Steve. All you have to do is ask me.”

LAUREN BACALL

A-57. Though he was undoubtedly part Polynesian, there is some doubt about the accuracy of his claim that his mother was a Tahitian princess.

JON HALL

STEVE MARTIN

A-59. The knee movements of the smallest mushroom in Fantasia were modeled after this screen funnyman.

CURLY HOWARD

A-60. “You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair.”

B-1. Stephen Spielberg named the main antagonist in this movie after his lawyer.

JAWS

B-2. “What is your nationality?”
“I'm a drunkard.”

CASABLANCA

B-3. While many think this movie cops out on the ending of the original novel, it actually follows the changes that Agatha Christie herself made in the stage adaptation.

TEN LITTLE INDIANS (OR AND THEN THERE WERE NONE)? MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS? WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION?

B-4. “Listen kid, I'm not gonna bulls**t you, all right? I don't give a good f**k what you know or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless. Not to get information. It's amusing to me to torture a cop. You can say anything you want ‘cause I've heard it all before. All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get.”

RESERVOIR DOGS

B-5. The 1966 remake of this 1943 comedy marked the final screen appearance of one of Hollywood’s most beloved stars.

THE MORE THE MERRIER

B-6. “You shoulda shot that fella a long time ago. Now he's too rich to kill.”

GIANT

B-7. This 1957 classic was the first Disney movie sans animation to be selected for preservation by the National Film Registry.

OLD YELLER

B-8. “Forgive me?”
“Forgive you for what?”

BRIEF ENCOUNTER

THE OMEN

B-10. “You're probably thinking, ‘My boyfriend said this was a superhero movie, but that guy in the suit just turned that other guy into a f**king kebab!’ Well, I may be super, but I'm no hero. And yeah, technically, this is a murder. But some of the best love stories start with a murder. And that's exactly what this is, a love story. And to tell it right, I gotta take you back to long before I squeezed this ass into red spandex.

DEADPOOL

B-11. Ira Hayes played himself in this movie.

SANDS OF IWO JIMA

“But they are naked!”

THE WICKER MAN

B-13. This film marks the only time Frederick Douglass was portrayed – albeit briefly – by an actor in a feature film. (Now there’s a biopic waiting to happen….)

LINCOLN

B-14. “Sorry to wake you but something has come up.”
“Yeah, I know, she just paid me a visit with a butcher knife.”

PLAY MISTY FOR ME

B-15. The University of Arizona Agricultural Department were given the assignment of making sure the corn in this musical lived up to the claims made about it.

OKLAHOMA

B-16. “I'm not a mouse and I'm not a man. I'm a dentist!”

THE PALEFACE

B-17. Four words have been added to the title of this blockbuster to match the titles of its three sequels.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

B-18. ‘He used to be a big shot.”

THE ROARING TWENTIES

B-19. This 1934 movie reunited a popular character star with the actor who had played his son in his Oscar-winning role.

TREASURE ISLAND

B-20. Did you hear that, Annie?”
“I heard it. About time one of you lunkheads said it!”

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

B-21. If you want to see President Harry Truman sing a duet with Colonel Bat Guano, this will surely be your only chance.

KISS ME KATE

A WALK IN THE WOODS

B-23. Frank Capra wanted Marie Dressler to play the title role in this movie, but Harry Cohen nixed the idea of borrowing her from MGM.

LADY FOR A DAY

B-24. “So what resolution should we make for the new year? It's to let God know that you have the guts and the will to do it alone. Resolve to fight for yourselves, and for others, for those you love. And that part of God within you will be fighting with you all the way.”

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

B-25. This movie marked the second time that Deborah Kerr played a role that had previously earned Margaret Leighton a Tony.

NIGHT OF THE IGUANA

B-26. “Don't f**k with me, fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.”

MOMMY DEAREST

B-27. This 1953 adaptation of a sci-fi classic changed the setting from Victorian England to southern California.

WAR OF THE WORLDS

BORN YESTERDAY

B-29. This widely-panned 2011 film was a remake of one of the movies quoted in Part A.

ARTHUR

B-30. “I mean, why do we have a winner? I mean, if we just wanted to intimidate the districts, why not round up twenty-four of them at random and execute them all at once? Be a lot faster.”

B-31. One of the young stars of this movie famously – but temporarily – changed her name to honor a bird injured during filming.

LAST SUMMER

B-32. “How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!”
“Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team the Ducks?”

SPACE JAM

B-33. This 1951 film is generally regarded as the best of more than 50 screen and television adaptations of the same source material – including an animated version twenty years later in which the lead actor reprised his role.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

B-34. “My first novel, on which I had labored for seven years, was just out. Surprisingly for a scholarly work on early Virginia, it was doing a brisk nationwide sale - possibly because it was liberally peppered with sex. Because, after all, early Virginia was liberally peppered with sex. Could that have been why Hollywood bought it?”

BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

B-35. The big band classic performed by Dorothy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers in this movie was the first recording to receive a Gold Record.

SUN VALLEY SERENADE

B-36. “Four years ago something terrible happened here. We did nothing about it, nothing. The whole town fell into a sort of settled melancholy and all the people in it closed their eyes and held their tongues and failed the test with a whimper. And now something terrible's going to happen again – and in a way, we're lucky, because we've been given a second chance.”

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK

B-37. This movie featured my favorite actress in a role originated on Broadway by Tammy Grimes.

CALIFORNIA SUITE

B-38. “We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

DEAD POETS SOCIETY

B-39. The first American film by a European director who went on to win two Oscars, it was notorious at the time for its strip poker scene.

THE ICE STORM

B-40. “Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!”

42ND STREET

B-41. One of the stars of the preceding film made a long-desired transition – and successful – transition to tougher roles with this movie.

MURDER MY SWEET

B-42. “I'm ten years old. My life is half over and I don't even know if I'm black with white stripes or white with black stripes!”

MADAGASCAR

B-43. This comedy was a gender-reversed remake of an earlier film starring Clark Gable’s wife and Florence Eldredge’s husband.

LIVING IT UP

B-44. “You've got it all wrong, the issue here ain't p*ssy. The issue here is monkey.”

THE RIGHT STUFF

B-45. This movie featured Nora Charles as Glinda.

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD

B-46. “Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me, I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done.”

SERGEANT YORK

B-47. Four of the five actors nominated for Oscars for this movie were never nominated before or after; the fifth was nominated four other times without ever winning.

B-48. “It must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you're the smartest person in the room.”
“”No, it’s awful!”

BROADCAST NEWS

BATTLEGROUND

B-50. “Hey, that's my cat! His name's Jake, not Fellini! I won't have any ‘eenie’ in this house!”

BREAKING AWAY

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:22 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Cheating here because this one was driving me nuts. It's PEYTON PLACE (Arthur Kennedy-Four other noms; Lana Turner; Russ Tamblyn; Hope Lange; Diane Varsi).

silverscreenselect

#33 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:29 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
MELVYN DOUGLAS

mellytu74

#34 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:44 pm

A WALK IN THE WOODS

It's DUMB AND DUMBER.

LINCOLN

I took a quick look through the cast list and didn't see anyone playing Douglass.

How about GLORY? Not sure but I am trying to figure out a movie it might be.

mellytu74

#35 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:51 pm

For heaven's sake ....

JOAN CRAWFORD in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

BUT YOU ARE, BLANCHE.

mellytu74

#36 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Three Strangers was just on TV. Geraldine Fitzgerald directed on Broadway and off-Broadway after Hollywood.

could this be GERALDINE FITZGERALD??

Vandal
Director of Promos

#37 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:29 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:44 pm

LINCOLN

I took a quick look through the cast list and didn't see anyone playing Douglass.

How about GLORY? Not sure but I am trying to figure out a movie it might be.
It's GLORY, played by Raymond St. Jacques.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#38 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:21 pm

I believe Frederick Douglass was also portrayed in HARRIET, the "somewhat" accurate biopic of Harriet Tubman.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

jarnon

#39 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:31 pm

THE ICE STORM
I looked up the director of The Ice Storm, and it's Ang Lee, who is Taiwanese.

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:36 pm
Among the actors, all of the answers are either correct or include the correct answer.

Among the movies, there are three 'definite' answers that are wrong. The one with alternate answers includes the correct answer.
B-13, B-22 and B-39 have been identified as the wrong ones, so everything else in LB's consolidation is correct, and we can remove their clues:

TERI GARR? EMMA STONE?

A-3. ROBERT YOUNG
A-4. BEN JOHNSON
A-5. CLAIRE BLOOM
A-6. FRANK LANGELLA
A-7. BOB HOSKINS
A-8. MATTHEW MODINE
A-9. JEAN HARLOW
A-10. MEL BROOKS
A-11. JAMES COBURN
A-12. NIGEL HAWTHORNE
A-13. NORMAN FELL
A-14. TOMMY CHONG
A-15. ELAINE STRITCH
A-16. RICHARD JENKINS
A-17. EILEEN BRENNAN
A-18. PAUL FORD

A-20. JOHN GIELGUD
A-21. KIM HUNTER
A-22. KATHRYN GRANT
A-23. NEVILLE BRAND
A-24. GLADYS COOPER

A-26. MARGARET HAMILTON
A-27. BUCK JONES
A-28. DAVID STRATHAIRN
A-29. GENE TIERNEY
A-30. CHRIS TUCKER
A-31. JESSICA LANGE
A-32. GILBERT GOTTFRIED
A-33. KATHLEEN FREEMAN
A-34. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
A-35. FLORA ROBSON
A-36. LORRAINE BRACCO
A-37. JEANETTE NOLAN
A-38. TED KNIGHT
A-39. SCOTT WILSON
A-40. JERRY O'CONNELL
A-41. JERRY ORBACH

A-44. ANNE BAXTER
A-45. CAMERON MITCHELL
A-46. JOSH BROLIN
A-47. PETER DAVISON
A-48. JANE POWELL

MELVYN DOUGLAS

A-50. JASON LEE

GERALDINE FITZGERALD

A-52. EDDIE MURPHY
A-53. BOBBY DARIN
A-54. STERLING HOLLOWAY

A-56. LAUREN BACALL
A-57. JON HALL
A-58. STEVE MARTIN
A-59. CURLY HOWARD

JOAN CRAWFORD

B-1. JAWS
B-2. CASABLANCA

B-4. RESERVOIR DOGS
B-5. THE MORE THE MERRIER
B-6. GIANT
B-7. OLD YELLER
B-8. BRIEF ENCOUNTER
B-9. THE OMEN
B-10. DEADPOOL
B-11. SANDS OF IWO JIMA
B-12. THE WICKER MAN

GLORY? HARRIET?

B-14. PLAY MISTY FOR ME
B-15. OKLAHOMA
B-16. THE PALEFACE
B-17. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
B-18. THE ROARING TWENTIES
B-19. TREASURE ISLAND
B-20. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
B-21. KISS ME KATE

DUMB AND DUMBER

B-23. LADY FOR A DAY
B-24. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE
B-25. NIGHT OF THE IGUANA
B-26. MOMMY DEAREST
B-27. WAR OF THE WORLDS
B-28. BORN YESTERDAY
B-29. ARTHUR

B-31. LAST SUMMER
B-32. SPACE JAM
B-33. A CHRISTMAS CAROL
B-34. BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
B-35. SUN VALLEY SERENADE
B-36. BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
B-37. CALIFORNIA SUITE
B-38. DEAD POETS SOCIETY

B-40. 42ND STREET
B-41. MURDER MY SWEET
B-42. MADAGASCAR
B-43. LIVING IT UP
B-44. THE RIGHT STUFF
B-45. THE GREAT ZIEGFELD
B-46. SERGEANT YORK

PEYTON PLACE

B-48. BROADCAST NEWS
B-49. BATTLEGROUND
B-50. BREAKING AWAY
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#40 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:37 pm

BILL TRAVERS
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#41 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:55 pm

TAKING OFF, directed by Milos Forman.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#42 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:29 am

jarnon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Beatty has four nominations, Eastwood 2. It's Beatty

TERI GARR? EMMA STONE?

Definitely EMMA STONE in La La Land

Still don't know this one

Could this be DENNIS MILLER, in The Net?

Definitely KAREN BLACK in Airport 1975

HUDSON appears to have been about 5 years younger than N'Yongo when she won.

mellytu74

#43 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Unbilled = cameos?

Unbilled = something without a William?

Cameos in movies starring a William who is also the star of one of the movies on List B?

I got nothin'

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:58 pm

Trying to jump start this again. The actors are on the list in two different capacities. The logical guess here is that one actor is on the list for a film he or she appeared it while the other is on there for a different reason. The name that strikes me is Curly Howard. He made dozens of Three Stooges shorts, but I can't picture Frank including him on the basis of a short subject whose only other significant actors are the other Stooges. So I'm wondering if he's on here for his name. There aren't a whole lot of acting Curlys out there, so maybe this is a link to a film that has the name word "Curly" in it.

kroxquo

#45 Post by kroxquo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:36 am

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:58 pm
Trying to jump start this again. The actors are on the list in two different capacities. The logical guess here is that one actor is on the list for a film he or she appeared it while the other is on there for a different reason. The name that strikes me is Curly Howard. He made dozens of Three Stooges shorts, but I can't picture Frank including him on the basis of a short subject whose only other significant actors are the other Stooges. So I'm wondering if he's on here for his name. There aren't a whole lot of acting Curlys out there, so maybe this is a link to a film that has the name word "Curly" in it.
Curly Sue perhaps?

Or maybe a film that has a character named Curly. Oklahoma and City Slickers are two that I can think of off hand.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Vandal
Director of Promos

#46 Post by Vandal » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Same message as posted on the other game:

Can the usual suspects please give this another shot? I hate to see good talent wasted.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

franktangredi

#47 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Same message as posted on the other game:

Can the usual suspects please give this another shot? I hate to see good talent wasted.
I can give a hint or two, but let's hold off and see what happens.

franktangredi

#48 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:20 am

Two hints:

(a) Variants of this Tangredi have been used before in a general quiz, using Associated Words instead of movies.

(b) There was discussion here of how Curly might be used. I could have used Moe instead ... but not Larry.

silverscreenselect

#49 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:39 am

franktangredi wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:20 am
(b) There was discussion here of how Curly might be used. I could have used Moe instead ... but not Larry.
Moe and Curly were brothers, as was Shemp, so the link for Curly is probably due to his last name, Howard. It may mean that there's a link to a movie with Howard in the title (Melvin and Howard, Howard the Duck, Howards End). That would also explain why Ted Knight, who had very few significant movie roles, is on the list as well, as a link to a movie with "Knight" in the title. On the other hand, there aren't very many "Orbach" or "Strathairn" movies, so Jerry Orbach and David Strathairn must be on the list for some other reason.

mellytu74

#50 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:38 pm

David Straithairn was in Dominick and Eugene!

Dominick the Donkey!

Oh, wait - I confused my puzzles.

Carry on.