RIP Colin Powell

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

RIP Colin Powell

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:32 am

Breaking news. Age 84. Reportedly from the trumpvirus.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

Re: RIP Colin Powell

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 am

Powell had been fully vaccinated but it's unclear whether he had a booster shot or not. Approximately 7,000 people in the US who were vaccinated have died. According to the latest CDC data, those who are unvaccinated are 11 times more likely to die from COVID than those unvaccinated, but for older people, the gap is less. Among t hose 80 or over (like Powell), the unvaccinated are five times more likely to die than the fully vaccinated. 85% of the breakthrough cases resulting in death have been with those over 65. These figures are through August, which are the most recent comprehensive CDC statistics. Obviously, they do not take into account the effects of booster shots.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 am
Powell had been fully vaccinated but it's unclear whether he had a booster shot or not. Approximately 7,000 people in the US who were vaccinated have died. According to the latest CDC data, those who are unvaccinated are 11 times more likely to die from COVID than those unvaccinated, but for older people, the gap is less. Among t hose 80 or over (like Powell), the unvaccinated are five times more likely to die than the fully vaccinated. 85% of the breakthrough cases resulting in death have been with those over 65. These figures are through August, which are the most recent comprehensive CDC statistics. Obviously, they do not take into account the effects of booster shots.
His immune system was compromised. He was treated for multiple myeloma. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 am
[/quote]

BINGO!!!!!

As is the case with most "Covid" deaths-there were severe underlying factors.

But, yeah, let's reorder society for it.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:25 am

Spock wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 am
Bob78164 wrote:
BINGO!!!!!

Look, you selfish prick, you and those like you are the ones forcing us to "reorder society" because you won't take a simple and safe step to protect those around you. Taking a safe and effective vaccine is not reordering society. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:31 am

Spock wrote:
BINGO!!!!!

Almost everyone in this country has underlying factors. This disease has increased the death rate in this country by about 20% in a little over one year. For every 100 people who died in 2019, about 120 died since then. Over 700,000 Americans are dead now who wouldn't have died if it weren't for COVID. That's more than the population of Wyoming or Vermont.

But, yeah, let's keep dismissing this as a bad case of the flu that only affects people who were about to die anyway.

Weyoun

#7 Post by Weyoun » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:11 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BINGO!!!!!

[/quote]

Who said anything about re-ordering society? Folks are saying you should get a shot because there are folks out there with weakened immune systems who can get very sick from Covid despite doing what they can to protect themselves.

You seem happy this guy died. That’s pretty disgusting.

wbtravis007

#8 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm

Pretty sad to hear this.

Believe it or not, I knew him when he was a colonel.

I think he would have been a great president

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BINGO!!!!!

I really thought you couldn't outdo yourself, but you did. Congratulations. How pro-life of you.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:30 pm

Spock, does your BINGO! moment mean that you believe a large population should not do small things in order to protect our most vulnerable smaller populations?

I'm wanting to make sure I understand your position.

Thanks.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:25 pm

General Odierno and Captain Cleland are waiting for your orders, General.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:30 pm
Spock, does your BINGO! moment mean that you believe a large population should not do small things in order to protect our most vulnerable smaller populations?

Thanks.
Just saw this as Jarnon's post moved the thread up. I won't answer today. Plus, I want to think about it a little.

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:57 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:28 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:30 pm

Thanks.
Just saw this as Jarnon's post moved the thread up. I won't answer today. Plus, I want to think about it a little.
FWIW-I am only going to answer Skoop's question and this is my only post on it. She either gets where I am coming from or not.

I am going to channel a missing BB-TANSTAAFL-"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

By all accounts, this is the first disease in history where we have quarantined the healthy. That is not a "Small Thing" and it comes at a tremendous cost. It is not a "Free Lunch"-now, maybe those costs are worth paying, maybe not-but when one side pretends there are no costs to anything they propose-you can't figure out the answer.

My personal favorite example of a supposed "Small thing" is masking 5 year olds in the schools for a disease with a median age of death well into the 80's. It is patently obvious that these kids will pay and are paying a high price in learning socialization skills and so forth that will likely be with them for the rest of their lives. It is tough enough for them to learn socialization skills with all the electronics today-now you throw masks in and they can't see other kids' faces and this generation of kids is paying a high price for a "Small Thing." To say nothing of whether the masks in schools actually work or not.

Maybe it is worth having our 5 year olds pay these obvious socialization costs-maybe it is not-but when one side essentially treats masking 5 year olds as a "Free Lunch" and will not recognize these costs-it is not a fair discussion.

Now maybe it is worth pouring tremendous time, resources and effort into Covid mitigation efforts into the pre-schools and kindergartens for a disease with a median age of death well into the 80's-maybe it is not-but when one side won't recognize the costs of doing so it is not a fair debate.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:12 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:57 am
Maybe it is worth having our 5 year olds pay these obvious socialization costs-maybe it is not-but when one side essentially treats masking 5 year olds as a "Free Lunch" and will not recognize these costs-it is not a fair discussion.
I realize that you're not going to reply to this, but talking about a "free lunch" in regard to COVID really pisses me off. For almost two years now, you and the other COVID deniers and nay-sayers have gotten a free lunch paid for by those of us who chose to follow the guidelines in the early months of COVID and the vaccination protocols in more recent months. You talk about impinging on your freedoms while you get the benefit of all of us who have followed the guidelines. With the exception of a few events like Trump rallies (remember Herman Cain) and motorcycle conventions, you have been able to do as you please safer because most of us have followed the guidelines, which results in a lessened likelihood of anyone, including you, getting infected. All the while, you haven't shown the slightest concern about infecting any of us. True, some of you have paid with your lives or lengthy hospital stays, but as you so often point out, most of you get through it unscathed and can gloat about how we stayed masked and hiding in basements. That is selfishness, pure and simple. A lot more of you wouldn't have gotten through it unscathed if we hadn't spent two years sacrificing to some extent for the common good.

I'm guessing that five-year-olds in London in 1941 paid some obvious socialization costs by having to hunker down in air raid shelters every night and keep blackout curtains in place and follow strict curfews. But their parents didn't whine about it all the time.

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:25 pm

Spock wrote:
My personal favorite example of a supposed "Small thing" is masking 5 year olds in the schools for a disease with a median age of death well into the 80's. It is patently obvious that these kids will pay and are paying a high price in learning socialization skills and so forth that will likely be with them for the rest of their lives. It is tough enough for them to learn socialization skills with all the electronics today-now you throw masks in and they can't see other kids' faces and this generation of kids is paying a high price for a "Small Thing." To say nothing of whether the masks in schools actually work or not.

Now maybe it is worth pouring tremendous time, resources and effort into Covid mitigation efforts into the pre-schools and kindergartens for a disease with a median age of death well into the 80's-maybe it is not-but when one side won't recognize the costs of doing so it is not a fair debate.
I may be wrong but the purpose behind making children isn't to protect them from the disease but to prevent them from getting the virus and spreading it to their parents or grandparents (the latter of whom would be considered to be in a high-risk group).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:36 pm

earendel wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:25 pm
Spock wrote:

I may be wrong but the purpose behind making children isn't to protect them from the disease but to prevent them from getting the virus and spreading it to their parents or grandparents (the latter of whom would be considered to be in a high-risk group).
Exactly. What would it do to their psychological health if they knew (or later learned) that grandma had died from a disease they got from them?

The primary goal of masks has always been to protect those around the mask-wearer. Masks aren't particularly effective at protecting the wearer from infection, although they are better than nothing. --Bob

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:03 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:36 pm
What would it do to their psychological health if they knew (or later learned) that grandma had died from a disease they got from them?
As a grandparent I consider the well being of my grand
kids a higher priority than my longevity and I think masking kids is abusive and damaging to their social development.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:03 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
What would it do to their psychological health if they knew (or later learned) that grandma had died from a disease they got from them?
kids a higher priority than my longevity and I think masking kids is abusive and damaging to their social development.
So is being in the ICU, as well as death.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:47 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
No one in this thread is saying kids should wear a mask because they might get sick. Try to keep up.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:47 pm
BackInTex wrote:

No one in this thread is saying kids should wear a mask because they might get sick. Try to keep up.
I just did.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:35 pm

BackInTex wrote:
See you at the Soylent Green factory.

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:57 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:35 pm
BackInTex wrote:
See you at the Soylent Green factory.
Preferable to DePelchin.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#23 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:28 pm

Spock,

It sounds like you are saying that you don't think mask-wearing is what I called "a small thing."

I saw that you don't intend to do a back-and-forth, and I'm not trying to have the last word, only to say that I think I understand your position.

Well-meaning people want what is best for the most people; they just sometimes disagree on how to arrive at that point.

I accepted that folks in Asian cities have been wearing masks for years, but if that's not something you accept as a good public health move, that's where we are. Thanks for the explanation.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#24 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:39 pm

The Diamond Princess is a luxury cruise. In February 2020, during a cruise of the Western Pacific, cases of COVID-19 were detected onboard. The vessel was quarantined off Japan for two weeks, after which all remaining passengers and crew were evacuated. Of the 3,711 people onboard, 712 became infected with the virus – 567 of 2,666 passengers, and 145 of 1,045 crew. Figures for total deaths vary from early to later assessments, and because of difficulties in establishing causation. As many as 14 are reported to have died from the virus, all of them older passengers - an overall mortality rate for those infected of 2%
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.