RIP Ivory Billed Woodpecker

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Ivory Billed Woodpecker

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:10 pm

The US Fish and Wildlife Service is going to delist the woodpecker and 22 other species from its endangered species list because no specimens have been spotted in decades and the Service believes them to be extinct. The woodpecker began disappearing in the 1800s due to the loss of its native habitat, and the last verified sighting of one was in the 1940s. The woodpecker was about 1.5 feet long with a 2.5 foot wingspan and was known as the Lord God Bird because of its size and beauty. That beauty led to a lot of them being killed by collectors to be mounted. The bird was painted by a number of artists as well, including Audobon. Some ornithologists think the bird may still be alive because of several unverified sightings this century in Arkansas. As

Eleven of the other 22 extinct species were native to Hawaii.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/finding-the-lord-god-bird/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

wbtravis007

Re: RIP Ivory Billed Woodpecker

#2 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:10 pm
The US Fish and Wildlife Service is going to delist the woodpecker and 22 other species from its endangered species list because no specimens have been spotted in decades and the Service believes them to be extinct. The woodpecker began disappearing in the 1800s due to the loss of its native habitat, and the last verified sighting of one was in the 1940s. The woodpecker was about 1.5 feet long with a 2.5 foot wingspan and was known as the Lord God Bird because of its size and beauty. That beauty led to a lot of them being killed by collectors to be mounted. The bird was painted by a number of artists as well, including Audobon. Some ornithologists think the bird may still be alive because of several unverified sightings this century in Arkansas. As

Boy, that truly is an interesting and beautiful bird. I bet if birdwatching was a big hobby of mine woodiness would be involved if I were to ever see one.

Hell, this photo would probably cause a twitch at least in and of itself.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 pm

Boy, that truly is an interesting and beautiful bird. I bet if birdwatching was a big hobby of mine woodiness would be involved if I were to ever see one.

You must be a floopah? No? Check urban dict.
Well, then

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am
wbtravis007 wrote:

<snork>
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

wbtravis007

#5 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am
wbtravis007 wrote:

I did. Never heard of it before. Didn’t know it was a thing. Hilarious!

That was a big “if” in my post.

And, in case anybody has any video or anything, I’m just gonna say that I was just trying to help it to get over the fence and into the coop.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:35 pm

With the Hawaii extinctions and so forth-it is a good opportunity to recommend my third favorite book.

David Quammen's "Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction."

Very readable. Lots of stuff on Alfred Wallace (Darwin's Contemporary and rival-or whatever)-The Wallace Line in Indonesia is pretty cool.

FWIW-My favorite book is The Private McAuslan Stories

and my second is "Scouting on Two Continents"

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:50 am

At The Charleston Museum you can see a display of an Ivory-billed woodpecker, a passenger pigeon and a Carolina parakeet. Fun Fact: Carolina parakeets fed on sand spurs. Sand spurs are not endangered.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:05 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:50 am
Fun Fact: Carolina parakeets fed on sand spurs. Sand spurs are not endangered.
Of course not, that's because there aren't any Carolina parakeets left.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com