Big 12 Back to 12 Teams

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Big 12 Back to 12 Teams

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 am

The Big 12, which was down to ten teams and soon to be eight with the departures of Oklahoma and Texas is now back to 12 again. They have accepted Brigham Young, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF as members. BYU as an independent will be joining the league for the 2023-24 year, while the other three schools, which are in the American Athletic Conference, will be joining the following year. My guess is that all the switching will occur a lot sooner, most likely next year.

The AAC is probably the best of the Group of Five Division I FBS conferences outside of the Power Five. In past years, both UCF and Cincinnati have been in the running for bids to the BCS but the overall strength of their conference has prevented that. This move leaves the AAC in bad shape as far as football is concerned, with the best remaining programs being Temple, East Carolina, and South Florida.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

Re: Big 12 Back to 12 Teams

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:43 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 am
This move leaves the AAC in bad shape as far as football is concerned, with the best remaining programs being Temple, East Carolina, and South Florida.
Memphis would like to have a word regarding the remaining teams.

Temple's new president Jason Wingard was a star football player [honorable mention AA] at Stanford and comes to North Broad from Columbia, where he was Dean and Professor of the School of Professional Studies.

The first thing he did was get rid of the dead wood in the top levels of the administration. Interviews for a new Athletic Director (to replace interim Fran Dunphy - nice man but I hope the next thing he's looking for is a tee time at Merion]. The grapevine says the final interviews of the top five candidates will be done by mid-month. that particular grapevine is rarely wrong.

Jason Wingard - who will be on CNBC on September 15 - won't broker any penny-ante crap. I am betting the Connemara rosary beads that the Owls situation will be much better athletically within two years. The man is Temple Tuff (sadly lacking in the current FB coach but you and I discussed that).

As of this morning, the Temple Owls have 23 players in the NFL. Per the ourlads.com website, which tracks the NFL players for college programs.

More than Cincinnati. Or Houston. Or UCF. Or Boise State, darlings of the G5

More than former Big East conference mates WVU and Pitt.

And Baylor, for which Matt Rhule departed (the Bears get a break because of the scandal that Rhule was cleaning up). And Texas Tech, also in the Big 12.

Or Rutgers, who has been a dumpster fire for far longer than Temple. ANd which, according to the Bergen Record last Sunday, has been playing fast and loose with the taxpayers money since joining the Big Ten (it's a subscription-only story but there are indications of the depths of it on Twitter).

Or Georgia Tech

But, you knew the last one, right sss? :D

Don't be picking on my Owls. Bad times now but better times ahead.