A rare grand slam feat

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

A rare grand slam feat

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:18 pm

I suspect this has happened before, but it certainly can't be commonplace. Both the Pirates and the Cubs hit grand slams in the same inning (the third) of their game today. I wonder how many times that's happened in the past. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

Re: A rare grand slam feat

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:18 pm
I suspect this has happened before, but it certainly can't be commonplace. Both the Pirates and the Cubs hit grand slams in the same inning (the third) of their game today. I wonder how many times that's happened in the past. --Bob
Beast will know…👍
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
One of my favorite bits of odd baseball trivia is that Cecil Fielder (career AL, almost exclusively in the AL East, mostly known for playing in the early 90's) hit the first grand slam at what was then known as Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix while playing for the Angels.

And another interesting bit of trivia that was provided to me by (maybe MACRAE) when I used that nugget in TMOTTBG was that the D'backs Yamil Benitez hit a grand slam in the bottom half of that same inning!

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/199 ... RI1998.htm

Don't know how many other times it's been done, but there's at least one instance...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:25 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
One of my favorite bits of odd baseball trivia is that Cecil Fielder (career AL, almost exclusively in the AL East, mostly known for playing in the early 90's) hit the first grand slam at what was then known as Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix while playing for the Angels.

And another interesting bit of trivia that was provided to me by (maybe MACRAE) when I used that nugget in TMOTTBG was that the D'backs Yamil Benitez hit a grand slam in the bottom half of that same inning!

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/199 ... RI1998.htm

Don't know how many other times it's been done, but there's at least one instance...

lb13
Wow. The bottom of the third in that game was a TTO inning.

Today's been quite a day for grand slams. There have been at least 6 today, including a third in that Cubs-Pirates game, and a walk-off grand slam with the Brewers three runs down to the Cardinals (but with only one out in the inning). --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:58 am

Don't any of you stat nuts know how to Google?

Halfway down this page, in the section named "Most Grand Slams In One Inning By Both Teams," ignore those entries showing 2 for the same team, and you'll have your answer:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/rb_grsl2.shtml

It includes both the game LB referred to and yesterday's game.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx