Help me

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Help me

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:24 pm

I know other people have actual problems, but all I've been watching is HGTV.
Well, then

tlynn78

Re: Help me

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:03 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:24 pm
Gah. Just.. gah.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:09 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:03 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Gah. Just.. gah.
I know.
Well, then

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
most of the buttons on your remote should solve the problem, but if it comes down to it, the TV does get plugged in, and you could just unplug it.

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:51 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
most of the buttons on your remote should solve the problem, but if it comes down to it, the TV does get plugged in, and you could just unplug it.
You gotta want to solve the problem, first. :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Today on House Hunters International:

Steve and Marcia are looking for a vacation home in Acapulco. Steve is a pencil salesman and Marcia is a part time dog walker.

There budget is $1.1 million.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:58 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Spoilsport! We just got our estimate...
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:58 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:51 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
You gotta want to solve the problem, first. :lol:
As if. Pshaw.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Steve and Marcia are looking for a vacation home in Acapulco. Steve is a pencil salesman and Marcia is a part time dog walker.

Of course it is. Our budget is already blown.
Well, then

SpacemanSpiff

#10 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:10 pm

The worst part of watching HGTV (other than the Tournament of Roses Parade) is that Mrs. Spiff starts getting ideas on things to do around the house. Unfortunately, one of her bad qualities is mission creep.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm

Vandal wrote:

Did you seriously just type 'there' budget? Please tell me you copy-and-pasted before I succumb to the vapors. :lol:

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:23 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm
Vandal wrote:

Did you seriously just type 'there' budget? Please tell me you copy-and-pasted before I succumb to the vapors. :lol:
Bwahahaaaaa
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:23 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm
Vandal wrote:

Happens to the best (and worst) of us.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

jaybee

#14 Post by jaybee » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:03 pm

I've been on "the other side" of many HGTV and the like shows. Just remember:

What is real: Most of the names of the hosts and people involved.

What is fake: Everything else.
Jaybee

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:06 pm

jaybee wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:03 pm

Oh nooooooo
Well, then

Earl the Squirrel

#16 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:22 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Three words:

90. Day. Fiance.

You're welcome.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:34 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Three words:

90. Day. Fiance.

You're welcome.
Oh no. Oh no. I did that awhile back. Crossing my fingers....
Well, then

mellytu74

#18 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:55 pm

Um ....

Someone in this household is a sucker for houses where the house hunters search for places at The Beach.

Sometimes they are on a bargain hunt.

Sometimes they are not.

BUT, this person insists on watching to look at decorating ideas. Color schemes. And the like.

The other person in this household grouses.

He prefers not to move furniture when someone gets ideas. He also prefers not to paint again. Sherwin Williams Casablanca. A lovely light sand that serves as a wonderful background for teal and coral in one BR, aqua in the other and navy and assorted blues in the LR.

I think he is silly.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Say Yes to the Dress so I can look on in horror when the spoiled bride to be cries when her dress is “out of budget” at $5000! I’m so happy college football is back!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

mellytu74

#20 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 pm

kayrharris wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 pm
Say Yes to the Dress so I can look on in horror when the spoiled bride to be cries when her dress is “out of budget” at $5000! I’m so happy college football is back!
YES!!!

I'm sorry. Some of these brides .... :O :O

tlynn78

#21 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:22 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:10 pm
The worst part of watching HGTV (other than the Tournament of Roses Parade) is that Mrs. Spiff starts getting ideas on things to do around the house. Unfortunately, one of her bad qualities is mission creep.
LOL - we call that collateral creativity

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:23 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 pm
kayrharris wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 pm
YES!!!

I'm sorry. Some of these brides .... :O :O
Fo reals. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:27 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:10 pm
We're so close to creep that we're on other people's missions...
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:30 pm

jaybee wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:03 pm

It's been awhile. You need to expound and regale us with what's what. I've been watching Good Bones, Flip or Flop, Hometown, the Detroit reno thing that's pretty cool.
Well, then

jaybee

#25 Post by jaybee » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Well, like they say about lawyers, "Don't ever ask a question in court that you don't already know the answer to". TV show production is so expensive that they will leave little to chance. So while what you see is "real" it's not really real at all.

Tidbits:

You know those ambush shows? The ones where there is a film crew at Lowe's or Home Depot? They interview shoppers in the store and then hop in the truck, follow them home and a few days later there is a new gazebo or new deck or a new kitchen or a new whatever. What really happens is that people who have pre applied show up at the Home Depot to interview on camera. And maybe, the camera crew will score a few 'real' shoppers to tape too. Then, several months go by as those tapes and the potential projects are evaluated and a build plan is made. Only then do they shoot the "same day" scene of all the crew arriving to get to work.

The house buying shows are almost all fake. There never are multiple houses to look at and to choose from to buy. Usually they choose a homeowner who is willing to pretend that they are considering to buy (the house that they already own) then they pick a few other houses to look at that they pretend are for sale. It's easy to find people who are willing to open up their homes just to get a few seconds on camera.

The shows are pretty good about sticking to their time frame. If they say that they remodel a kitchen in three days than that is mostly true. Mostly because there are weeks of pre-work that gets done and lots of after work to do. If we were on a three-day shoot we always reached a point on day #3 where we would just "build for camera". That was to get things to the point where you could shoot 'the big reveal'. Again using a kitchen as an example: Plumbing and electrical would not work, possibly even half of the room would be unfinished. We only had to be concerned with what the camera would see.

Most of the hosts are actors, although some do have a background in whatever trade or skill they are representing. Even those with skills however do not actually do much except on-camera things. It takes a lot of work, time and acting skill to host a show. They have a full schedule with taping and are working from an overview provided by the pre-production crew so it's much more efficient to leave the actual work to the people who have been planning the project out for months. Even on those shows where they talk about having the homeowners do "Homework" overnight after the camera crew leaves are all set-ups. I'd often have the homeowners come up to me after hours asking what they should do. I'd tell them to go out to dinner and get some rest.

Total fakes: While I never worked with him, many of the crew did some of the old time shows with Bob Villa. His building skills were non-existent - they said that if someone handed him a hammer he had a 50/50 chance of holding it correctly. The old series "Whale Wars" was a complete propaganda piece to promote the Sea Shepard's cause. They shot one scene where several members of the Sea Shepard crew were "captured" and held for a short time on one of the whaling vessels. It made for dramatic TV viewing. In reality, the SS people jumped on board the whaler and held on to ladders or railings to stay on board long enough so that the scene could be shot. The whaling crew were all about getting the SS people back to their ship as safely and as quickly as possible. Pretty much all of WW was edited to show the Sea Shepard as defenders rather than the aggressors that the really were.

On The Other Hand: There is some reality in some of the hosts. Build guy Jimmy Diresta has got to be one of the most skilled innovators that I've ever met. That guy can make anything. Joanie Sprague (The carpenter on Trading Spaces) may have started out her TV career on "America's Next Top Model" but by the time she took over the Trading Spaces slot she had become a very skilled carpenter - she even does carpentry type work as a side job. I know, because I trained her over several years. Celebrity chefs Guy Fieri and Cat Cora are both the real deal - being skilled chefs as well as having the on camera skills needed for reality type TV. In real life, Fieri is exactly as brash and in your face as he appears on camera - but the bottom line is that he's a really nice guy who is very good at what he does, cares about his family and is doing a job.

But is reality TV real? Not so much. As I said earlier in this thread 99% is structured and scripted TV. Watch it for ideas but not for how something is really done. This is true across all the venues of reality TV. I may not have worked on these but I know - Does Clarkson really drive for two solid days on "Top Gear" to see if he can beat May and Hammond across Europe? Hell no. They are excellent actors (and highly paid). We only see what the camera wants us to see - as long as they get the shots needed it's all good. So they get the action shots needed, head back to the hotel and let the editors do the rest. This works fine (until the public learns that Bear Grylls spent the night at a hotel instead of a tent)
Jaybee