Nasty little phish technique

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Nasty little phish technique

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 am

I just got an e-mail with a phishing technique I hadn't seen before. It purported to be from Amazon, telling me that my payment method had been rejected. The return e-mail address was wrong so I knew the message was problematic.

The new part, though, was that it displayed a "corrective" link that really did show an Amazon Web page address. Only when I hovered my cursor over the link did I discover that it actually would have sent me somewhere entirely different. I can imagine how they did that, but it's a new technique in my experience so I thought I'd warn folks. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

Re: Nasty little phish technique

#2 Post by triviawayne » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:56 am

or, as usual, don't click on any links.

If your payment method for whatever reason suddenly didn't work and Amazon were to actually contact you with a link, you can always just manually go to Amazon.com and deal with it from there.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 am
I just got an e-mail with a phishing technique I hadn't seen before. It purported to be from Amazon, telling me that my payment method had been rejected. The return e-mail address was wrong so I knew the message was problematic.

The new part, though, was that it displayed a "corrective" link that really did show an Amazon Web page address. Only when I hovered my cursor over the link did I discover that it actually would have sent me somewhere entirely different. I can imagine how they did that, but it's a new technique in my experience so I thought I'd warn folks. --Bob
If you use Chrome, you should install this extension: https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHom ... check.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:27 am

I got the same E-mail. I rejected it summarily because I haven't ordered anything from Amazon for months.

Little did I know, SteelersFan just ordered and received To Hell and Back by Audie Murphy and some other items, so that may be how scammer creep found us. The local library doesn't have To Hell and Back and has suspended Inter Library Loan for the duration of uncertainty about the Delta variant. In other words, indefinitely. He was pleased to note how closely the movie followed the book.

I have no memory of the original, but Mom saved this photo of Audie in town, and I came across it years later and have since lost track of it. I'm glad somebody posted it on Cinema Treasures.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 am

At the Georgia Lottery, they warned us about clicking on links that seem legitimate that you're not sure of. What you did was correct, hover over the link and you'll see the real URL. I've gotten two or three calls this week about charges on my Amazon account. Of course, since I didn't receive any notice of a purchase, I knew those were bogus.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com