The Chair

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

The Chair

#1 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:35 pm

My wife and I just finished up the first season (6 episodes) on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. Sandra Oh plays Dr. Ji-Yoon Kim, the new English department chair at fictional Pembroke University, the first woman and POC in that position. She spends most of her time battling the faculty while trying to keep her adopted daughter in line (the young actress, Everly Carganilla, is superb) and managing an on-and-off relationship with Bill, one of the tenured professors.

The older actors are all first rate, especially scene-stealing Holland Taylor. There are some major laughs along the way.

The ending of episode six makes me wonder how they'll make another season, but that's what writers are for! I'm all for season 2.

Not to be confused with the John McEnroe-hosted reality show of yore.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

bazodee

Re: The Chair

#2 Post by bazodee » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:04 pm

We just switched from Netflix discs-by-mail to streaming. So, The Chair was the very first series that I watched that is actually a current media event. I'm used to watching series 12 months after everyone else has already seen it.

Loved The Chair, but I love making fun of people in general. I do worry that some will use the over-the-top antics of the students as proof positive of what's common on campuses nowadays. I think the writers crafted a brief cameo for the one Conservative on campus.