Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

#76 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Pima County raises health insurance costs for unvaccinated employees

Moments after Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich released a legal report that called the City of Tucson's employee vaccine mandate "illegal," Pima County Board of Supervisors moved forward with its own approach to encouraging its workforce to get vaccinated amid the delta variant case surge.

3 men cited, released after Vail principal threatened to be zip-tied over COVID-19 policy

On Tuesday, Tucson Police Department shared that 58-year-old Frank Tainatongo was charged and released on a misdemeanor trespassing charge after he and two other men reportedly showed up at Mesquite Elementary School to zip-tie the school's principal, Diane Vargo, after one of the men's children was told to quarantine due to potential COVID-19 exposure.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:14 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:28 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:17 pm
If you get it, you can spread it to others, and that can happen before you know you have the disease.
I haven't seen anywhere that it has been proven that asymptomatic people can spread the disease. Up to a few months ago, I read that not a single case has been identified as being contracted from an asymptomatic source.

Do you have any sources that say otherwise? Not a chest bumping challenge. I seriously want to know as this has been a major reason for the 24/7 mask mandates, but from what I've seen, and researched, it always comes back as "well, just be on the safe side".
The disease is most contagious one or two days before most people feel sick. So the mask mandates aren't just a precaution against asymptomatic people but against presymptomatic ones, which is where the biggest risk of transmission occurs. Another cautionary note because I honestly don't know the answer is that the study Bob cited and most others about asymptomatic transmission of the disease predate the delta variant which is far more contagious than the varieties that were prevalent up to a couple of months ago. This is one more recent study/

Delta’s rise is fuelled by rampant spread from people who feel fine
People infected with the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 are more likely to spread the virus before developing symptoms than are people infected with earlier versions, suggests a detailed analysis of an outbreak in Guangdong, China. “It is just tougher to stop,” says Benjamin Cowling, an epidemiologist at the University of Hong Kong and a co-author of the study, which was posted on a preprint server on 13 August.

Cowling and his colleagues analysed exhaustive test data from 101 people in Guangdong who were infected with Delta between May and June this year, and data from those individuals’ close contacts. They found that, on average, people began having symptoms 5.8 days after infection with Delta — 1.8 days after they first tested positive for viral RNA.

In the latest work, the researchers also found that those infected with Delta had higher concentrations of viral particles, or viral load, in their bodies than did people infected with the original version of SARS-CoV-2. “Somehow the virus is appearing quicker and in higher amounts,” says Cowling. As a result, 74% of infections with Delta took place during the presymptomatic phase — a higher proportion than for previous variants. This high rate “helps explain how this variant has been able to outpace both the wild-type virus and other variants to become the dominant strain worldwide”,
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#78 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:33 pm

Spock wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:45 am
"People Like Me" hmm. I have had Covid already. Hence, I see no need for the shot. I would actually be willing to place a bet on who gets Covid first-me with my natural immunity or you with your vaccine?

It is not totally fair, because I am out living my life while you are hiding in your basement-but I still am willing to bet that you get Covid first.
And this pretty much sums it up. This isn't a matter of making a reasoned calculation about health and safety. It's a matter of proving your manhood while Bob and I are hiding in our basements.

You also continue to overlook the real question here. The issue isn't whether vaccine immunity is better than natural immunity. The issue is whether natural immunity plus a vaccine is better than natural immunity alone. And you've never really given a good answer for that one. You work on a farm, and I assume that your farm has a number of safety features in terms of equipment, safe practices, livestock and crop treatments, and more. Do you go out and make a determination what one safety feature is the most effective in dealing with a problem and ignore all others? I've never worked on a farm but I am familiar with principles of insurance and risk management. Effective risk management combines a variety of techniques (and insurance coverages) to minimize the risk as much as possible. The usual reasons for not adopting particular techniques are that they aren't cost effective, but that's not the case with the COVID vaccine, nor is the risk of side effects from the vaccine enough to offset its benefits.

And for the record, I don't hide in my basement. Mrs. SSS and I went to two movies today (lots of theaters locally have Tuesday bargain days). Sunday, we saw Shang-Chi and ate out for Sunday brunch. I don't frequent crowded, poorly ventilated restaurants; we eat outside when practical, and I make sure to get theater tickets that are distanced from other patrons. But I don't think that keeps us from living our lives and enjoying life.

silverscreenselect

#79 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Another Covid denier learns a hard lesson:
Volusia County [FL] Councilman Fred Lowry is hospitalized with COVID-19, County Chair Jeff Brower announced Tuesday. "He is in the hospital wrestling with COVID-19," Brower said as Tuesday's council meeting kicked off with Lowry's chair empty for the second consecutive week. "He's pretty darned sick," Councilwoman Billie Wheeler added in the late afternoon, saying Lowry had texted her an update. Wheeler told The News-Journal that Lowry was hospitalized Monday night after being treated with monoclonal antibodies last Friday. "He has been sick for around two weeks and got the antibody (treatment) last Friday and went to the emergency room late last night," she said via text.

Lowry, a 67-year-old registered Republican, is midway though his second four-year term on the Volusia County Council. He attracted controversy this summer for promoting conspiracy theories, including some about the coronavirus pandemic, in a sermon at Deltona Lakes Baptist Church. "We did not have a pandemic, folks. We were lied to," Lowry said in the May 30 sermon. He referred to Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, as "Dr. Falsey" — "I did not mispronounce that. That’s the way I wanted to say it." — and labeled him a liar and pervert. He also took issue with media coverage of the COVID-19 treatment hydroxychloroquine and the theory coronavirus originated in a Wuhan lab.
https://www.news-journalonline.com/stor ... 713876001/

Bob Juch

#80 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm
Another Covid denier learns a hard lesson:
Volusia County [FL] Councilman Fred Lowry is hospitalized with COVID-19, County Chair Jeff Brower announced Tuesday. "He is in the hospital wrestling with COVID-19," Brower said as Tuesday's council meeting kicked off with Lowry's chair empty for the second consecutive week. "He's pretty darned sick," Councilwoman Billie Wheeler added in the late afternoon, saying Lowry had texted her an update. Wheeler told The News-Journal that Lowry was hospitalized Monday night after being treated with monoclonal antibodies last Friday. "He has been sick for around two weeks and got the antibody (treatment) last Friday and went to the emergency room late last night," she said via text.

Lowry, a 67-year-old registered Republican, is midway through his second four-year term on the Volusia County Council. He attracted controversy this summer for promoting conspiracy theories, including some about the coronavirus pandemic, in a sermon at Deltona Lakes Baptist Church. "We did not have a pandemic, folks. We were lied to," Lowry said in the May 30 sermon. He referred to Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, as "Dr. Falsey" — "I did not mispronounce that. That’s the way I wanted to say it." — and labeled him a liar and pervert. He also took issue with media coverage of the COVID-19 treatment hydroxychloroquine and the theory coronavirus originated in a Wuhan lab.
https://www.news-journalonline.com/stor ... 713876001/
Thin the herd. :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#81 Post by Spock » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:42 pm

Bob#'s>>>"You live in a rural area. Since I'm going to my office every work day, whereas I'm guessing you don't have extended contact with a whole lot of people, you may win that bet, though I hope it ends in a draw with neither of us contracting the disease. Hell, I probably have close contact with more people in elevators on a daily basis than you do in your regular day. But the data now make it quite clear that having had the disease once is less protective against both getting the disease and severe illness than is being fully vaccinated."<<<

Been kind of chuckling about your "Ma and Pa Kettle" view of my life. Leaving aside any contacts I might have. Mrs. Spock works in an office with a large number of other women who come from a wide geographic area with kids in a number of school systems and their husbands work in businesses of various sizes doing whatever they do. So no-it is not just Ma and Pa Kettle on the Prairie here.

As a further note, the Spocklette (while living at home) now 20 worked this summer with large crews of Mexicans on various projects so we had whatever exposure that might have added to the equation.

Kind of a fun story about one of the Mexicans. He used to work for the guys who rent my hog barns and now works doing repairs for the large dairy conurbation where the Spocklette was working.

It was so funny when he figured out who she was, because he said he remembered a little girl helping me around the barns and he got a kick out of seeing her now.

As he was hard to understand, we never figured out if he figured it from the last name or because she looks a lot like me (poor girl LOL)

Weyoun

#82 Post by Weyoun » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:45 am

LOL. I continue to be unimpressed with Spock’s dick swinging about how much he embraces life while the rest of us are cowards.

I’ve been to Alaska and in Egypt in the last four months.

I’m also *constantly* exposed to Covid through my work. Thanks, Delta!

I travel only using sensible precautions and after negative testing.

I’ll take my chances with the booster shot - but thanks for your concern.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#83 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm

SSS wrote:
You also continue to overlook the real question here. The issue isn't whether vaccine immunity is better than natural immunity. The issue is whether natural immunity plus a vaccine is better than natural immunity alone. And you've never really given a good answer for that one.
The question for me and the bridge game I direct is whether the immunity one player has from having had Covid is enough. She insists it's better than the vaccine. Our bridge board insists it isn't and is requiring vaccination for all players in our face to face games.

I haven't seen a down side to having Covid and getting the vaccination on top of it, but she has dug her heels and refuses to get it. I remembered this thread providing an answer to the question of whether having had the virus is equal to or better than vaccination, but it doesn't. Where would be the best place to look for that info?

I'd really like to have her back, as my lower level game is floundering since we restarted face to face games. And it's not because people are afraid of catching Covid, it's because they prefer playing online. They can't renege, they can't lead out of turn, and they've got their convention cards and notes open in an adjacent screen. OK, that was off-topic, sorry.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller