Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 pm

He was vaccinated.

Res ipsa loquitur.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 pm
He was vaccinated.

Res ipsa loquitur.
He is apparently asymptomatic -- his case was caught because he's tested daily. The real issue is whether the other people with whom he attended unmasked events caught it from him. We probably won't know that for at least a few days. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

bazodee

#3 Post by bazodee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:32 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
He was vaccinated.

Res ipsa loquitur.
He is apparently asymptomatic -- his case was caught because he's tested daily. The real issue is whether the other people with whom he attended unmasked events caught it from him. We probably won't know that for at least a few days. --Bob
I think the real question is, given the heightened transmissibility of the Delta variant, how many of all of us are also COVID-positive? Most of us aren't testing nearly as often as we did nine months ago.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:30 pm

bazodee wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 am
I think the real question is, given the heightened transmissibility of the Delta variant, how many of all of us are also COVID-positive? Most of us aren't testing nearly as often as we did nine months ago.
You were testing often? Why?

I've never been tested.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

bazodee

#5 Post by bazodee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:36 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:30 pm
bazodee wrote:

I've never been tested.
Needed to travel (fly) twice. Very early in the outbreak, I had some symptoms that were consistent with COVID, but resolved easily. At that point it was thought that may offer some degree of immunity.

wbtravis007

#6 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:41 pm

BackInTex wrote:
bazodee wrote:

I've never been tested.
Were you never exposed to someone who tested positive? Chances of a symptom-free infection are high enough to concern me about the possibility of infecting someone when I was exposed. And, even when I wasn’t, I was getting tested every week for free with no wait and orally until my parents were vaccinated. They’re in their 90s and I was doing their grocery shopping. If I had it I wanted to know.

No big deal.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:05 pm

I was tested shortly before my two medical procedures in January, and then Mrs. SSS and I were tested again before we went on an out-of-state trip last month.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
He was vaccinated.

Res ipsa loquitur.
Here's another example of a politician who's a giant hypocrite. Abbott isn't stupid. He's got medical issues and I'd be willing to bet he got vaccinated as quickly as he could. And he has access to medical treatment most of us don't. But instead of telling everyone about his vaccine status and encouraging them to get vaccinated themselves, as ex-Pres Bush did, he's instead been posturing about their freedoms to kill themselves and their fellow Texans.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:06 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
He was vaccinated.

Res ipsa loquitur.
Here's another example of a politician who's a giant hypocrite. Abbott isn't stupid. He's got medical issues and I'd be willing to bet he got vaccinated as quickly as he could. And he has access to medical treatment most of us don't. But instead of telling everyone about his vaccine status and encouraging them to get vaccinated themselves, as ex-Pres Bush did, he's instead been posturing about their freedoms to kill themselves and their fellow Texans.
What the fuck are you talking about?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lubboc ... 5557701001
Well, then

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:06 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
What the fuck are you talking about?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lubboc ... 5557701001
Whatever CNN tells him to, as usual
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:32 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:41 pm
BackInTex wrote:
bazodee wrote:

I've never been tested.
Were you never exposed to someone who tested positive? Chances of a symptom-free infection are high enough to concern me about the possibility of infecting someone when I was exposed. And, even when I wasn’t, I was getting tested every week for free with no wait and orally until my parents were vaccinated. They’re in their 90s and I was doing their grocery shopping. If I had it I wanted to know.

No big deal.
We got tested back in 2020 cause it was free.
That was it.
I had no test before my surgery, unless they didn't tell me. Why would you test weekly? We were taking care of grandbabes during the initial phases. Holy crap. And, there were Covid pos cases "around" preschool and kindergarten classes.
We survived. Ta da!
Well, then

wbtravis007

#12 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm

[/quote]
Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:32 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I've never been tested.

No big deal.
That was it.
I had no test before my surgery, unless they didn't tell me. Why would you test weekly? We were taking care of grandbabes during the initial phases. Holy crap. And, there were Covid pos cases "around" preschool and kindergarten classes.
We survived. Ta da!
I said why I was testing weekly: because of my parents I wanted to know if I had it. And, it was free, no line, no pain or discomfort. My thought was: why NOT get tested weekly.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

No big deal.
That was it.
We survived. Ta da!
I said why I was testing weekly: because of my parents I wanted to know if I had it. And, it was free, no line, no pain or discomfort. My thought was: why NOT get tested weekly.
[/quote]
Because you could catch it within the 10-14 day period anyway and not test positive? Seems a bit obsessive. Especially on the day they got vaccinated.
Well, then

wbtravis007

#14 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:45 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

No big deal.
That was it.
We survived. Ta da!
Because you could catch it within the 10-14 day period anyway and not test positive? Seems a bit obsessive. Especially on the day they got vaccinated.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean about the 10-14 day stuff. What I’m saying is pretty simple. I had the opportunity to get tested hassle-free weekly and wanted to know if I had it as often as I could. So, why not?

Obsessive? Hell, if it’s hassle free and I can get it daily or hourly, why not do it? Just don’t understand why you think that needs to be explained again.

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:03 pm

bazodee wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
He was vaccinated.

Res ipsa loquitur.
Los Angeles County health officials report that 30% of current COVID cases (98% of which are the delta variant) are breakthrough cases of those already vaccinated. This comes on the same day that three fully vaccinated US Senators report testing positive for COVID. And there's been one study that shows that the virus load in breakthrough cases is actually higher than in other new COVID cases, although the time period during which breakthrough individuals can spread the virus is lower. This actually makes sense, because the vaccine would likely do a better job of warding off lower levels of infection and it would take a high virus dose to overwhelm the body's immune system. Also, the vaccinated body would react more quickly, giving the virus less time to cause severe distress.

And Bazodee is undoubtedly right. Not all that many people got tested last year, and almost nobody on a regular basis. So a lot of mild cases could easily have been ignored. All of this makes the "natural immunity" claim of those who have already had the virus much shakier than it was two or three months ago.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:13 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 pm

Trump held a rally in Alabama and when he recommended that his audience get vaccinated he was booed. Of course, being Trump, he waffled somewhat, saying that the people had the right to choose whether to get the shot or not.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:53 pm

earendel wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 pm
Trump held a rally in Alabama and when he recommended that his audience get vaccinated he was booed. Of course, being Trump, he waffled somewhat, saying that the people had the right to choose whether to get the shot or not.

"...saying that the people had the right to choose whether to get the shot or not."

So, stating a fact is "waffling"? I mean, so far, people do have the right to choose.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:24 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:53 pm
earendel wrote:

"...saying that the people had the right to choose whether to get the shot or not."

So, stating a fact is "waffling"? I mean, so far, people do have the right to choose.
Many have the right to choose to get vaccinated or to keep their job.

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:24 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
earendel wrote:

I haven't heard of any employers who fire employees for getting vaccinated, but like you say, it's a free country.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:59 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:24 pm
tlynn78 wrote:

I haven't heard of any employers who fire employees for getting vaccinated, but like you say, it's a free country.
I missed the word, "not"; I was awake since 2:30. Nevertheless, there are some businesses that have posted signed saying those who are vaccinated are banned; that would include their employees, I suppose.

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:17 am

tlynn78 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Do they? Does their "right to choose" include the right to infect others, possibly ending up in hospitalization or death? I've always heard that "the right to swing my fist ends at the point of someone else's nose". So choosing not to be vaccinated may be OK for the individual, but not if it impinges on the rights of others to not become sick.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:34 am

earendel wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:17 am
tlynn78 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Do they? Does their "right to choose" include the right to infect others, possibly ending up in hospitalization or death? I've always heard that "the right to swing my fist ends at the point of someone else's nose". So choosing not to be vaccinated may be OK for the individual, but not if it impinges on the rights of others to not become sick.
None of that changes the fact that currently, the vaccine is a choice and not a mandate. Like abortion, that, you know, literally kills another human nearly 100% of the time.

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 am

earendel wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Do you feel that way about the flu vaccine? Did you two years ago?

Also, where does one's right to be fat and unhealthy end (when it limits my right to go on about my life even if it puts them at risk because of their poor health)?

If we're going to mandate vaccinations we should mandate exercise and diet restrictions when someone's BMI exceeds certain thresholds as they will then consume more than their share of medical resources. Cigarettes should be banned or at least those who smoke go to the back of the line at hospitals (as suggested by some legal "scholars" here for the unvaccinated).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#25 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 am

earendel wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Don't forget your shingles vaccine mandate, too.

"Shingles itself is not contagious. You can't spread the condition to another person. However, the varicella-zoster virus is contagious, and if you have shingles, you can spread the virus to another person, which could then cause them to develop chickenpox.'
Well, then