RIP Nanci Griffith

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

RIP Nanci Griffith

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:06 pm

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/13/10275647 ... gwriter-68

Nanci Griffith, a Texas-born singer-songwriter celebrated in folk and country-music circles for her crystalline voice and storytelling skill, died Friday in Nashville at age 68.

The news was confirmed by her management company, Gold Mountain Entertainment.

No cause of death or further information was provided, reportedly at Griffith's behest: "It is Nanci's wish that no statement or press release happens for a week following her passing."

Griffith was known for her skills as a story-telling songwriter, producing memorable songs like "Late Night Grand Hotel" and "It's a Hard Life Wherever You Go." Her songs also proved successful for other singers: Kathy Mattea scored a country Top 5 hit with "Love at the Five and Dime," while Suzy Bogguss cracked the country Top 10 with "Outbound Plane," written by Griffith with Tom Russell.

She also was known as an interpreter of songs by other writers, performing with a light, clear voice. She was closely associated with "From a Distance," a Julie Gold song that provided a major hit for Bette Midler. Other Voices, Other Rooms, a 1993 album devoted entirely to songs written by Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, and others, featured guest appearances by Dylan and Prine, and earned Griffith a Grammy Award in 1994.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.