R.I.P. James Rodney (J.R.) Richard

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

R.I.P. James Rodney (J.R.) Richard

#1 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Houston Astros legend J.R. Richard passes away at age 71
Houston Astros legend J.R. Richard has passed away at the age of 71.

The team released the following statement: “Today is a sad day for the Houston Astros as we mourn the loss of one of our franchise icons, J.R. Richard. J.R. will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of the greatest pitchers in club history. He stood shoulder to shoulder with club icons Larry Dierker, Joe Niekro and Nolan Ryan, to form a few of the best rotations in club history. Sadly, his playing career was cut short by health issues, but his 10 years in an Astros uniform stand out as a decade of excellence. We send our heartfelt condolences to J.R.’s wife, Lula, his family, friends and countless fans and admirers.”
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

BackInTex

Re: R.I.P. James Rodney (J.R.) Richard

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 pm

When Houston Astros flamethrower J.R. Richard debuted against the San Francisco Giants at Candlestick Park on September 5, 1971, he did so in relative anonymity. He received no television coverage, and no radio broadcast beyond the clubs’ local markets. Willie Mays and baseball’s fourth-best offense awaited him. The rookie responded by striking out 15 Giants to tie a major league record.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 pm

I remember going to a game in Atlanta against the Astros when J.R. was pitching. I bet one of my friends that the Braves would not hit a ball out of the infield (the dirt area) in an entire inning. I made the bet twice and won both times (the second time was a double-or-nothing proposition).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Richard was the subject of one of a handful of recurring silly baseball arguments me and my Dad used to have. Even after he knew he was wrong, he'd still bring them up because they became such an in-joke between us...

He always claimed George Brett hit .400 in a season (Not quite)

He was very sure Dave Dravecky's arm fell off while pitching in a game (Again...... not quite)

And he was absolutely positive JR Richard had a heart attack on the mound and died. I believe the heart attack was true (unsure of where or when), but he had certainly not died.... and as it turned out, he outlived my Dad by four years.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:15 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 pm
Richard was the subject of one of a handful of recurring silly baseball arguments me and my Dad used to have. Even after he knew he was wrong, he'd still bring them up because they became such an in-joke between us...

He always claimed George Brett hit .400 in a season (Not quite)

He was very sure Dave Dravecky's arm fell off while pitching in a game (Again...... not quite)

And he was absolutely positive JR Richard had a heart attack on the mound and died. I believe the heart attack was true (unsure of where or when), but he had certainly not died.... and as it turned out, he outlived my Dad by four years.

lb13
Not a heart attack, but a stroke.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 pm

I remember when he first was getting headlines (probably after striking out those 15 Giants) and he was being called James Rodney Richard. We had a local DJ on the Top 40 station I listened to who called himself the Real Rodney Russell. I was forever conflating the two in my mind, so I was somewhat happy when he switched to JR. RIP, wild man.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:12 pm

I can only imagine how difficult it was for NL teams to face Nolan Ryan on a Friday night, then J. R. Richard the next afternoon. What a great combo!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:02 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:12 pm
I can only imagine how difficult it was for NL teams to face Nolan Ryan on a Friday night, then J. R. Richard the next afternoon. What a great combo!
30 strikeouts and 30 walks. :)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:02 pm
Vandal wrote:
30 strikeouts, 15 base on balls, 15 hit by pitch. :D
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:07 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:02 pm
Vandal wrote:
30 strikeouts, 15 base on balls, 15 hit by pitch. :D
And one ejection...
lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#11 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:57 pm

If you come for the king:

I know it's the Rangers. Be quiet.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:02 am

I saw JR pitch for the Oklahoma City 89ers (now the Dodgers), at that time the AAA farm team for the Astros. He didn't exactly overwhelm (in 1971 his record was 12-7, and in 1972 it was 10-8) but he was exciting to watch.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

wbtravis007

#13 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:35 am

Vandal wrote:

And don’t forget Joe Niekro in between them (who, like his brother, threw wicked knuckleballs).

Yes, it was a stroke. He had been complaining about weakness in his arm or shoulder. Some thought he was just making excuses for one or more subpar outings. I think he had a clot around the neck or shoulder.

Post-career he was homeless for quite a few years. Kind of bounced back at least for awhile, if not for good. Haven’t heard anything about him in awhile.