Candor from Gen. Milley

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Candor from Gen. Milley

#1 Post by jarnon » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Army General Mark Milley (Princeton ‘80), Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, reveals his opinion of his former Commander in Chief in a new book.

Top US general warned of ‘Reichstag moment’ in Trump’s turbulent last days

Gen Mark Milley drew comparison to Nazi Germany as Trump tried to overturn election defeat, new book I Alone Can Fix This says
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

Re: Candor from Gen. Milley

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:16 pm

And we should believe him anymore than anyone else because?

Today’s generals are as much politicians as those actually being honest and running for office.

He’s just trying to make a buck off his 5-minutes.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:09 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Today’s generals are as much politicians as those actually being honest and running for office.

Demonstrably false. General Milley didn't write the book. He was just quoted in it.

But if you could watch January 6 and not see an insurrection in action as the Vice President, the Senate, and the House fled for their safety from a mob that Donny ginned up and told to march to the Capitol, then there's really no hope for you, and nothing left to do but politically crush you and anyone, particularly elected officials, who are unwilling to defend our democracy from a violent rebellion. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:39 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:09 pm
BackInTex wrote:

Demonstrably false. General Milley didn't write the book. He was just quoted in it.

But if you could watch January 6 and not see an insurrection in action as the Vice President, the Senate, and the House fled for their safety from a mob that Donny ginned up and told to march to the Capitol, then there's really no hope for you, and nothing left to do but politically crush you and anyone, particularly elected officials, who are unwilling to defend our democracy from a violent rebellion. --Bob
Why do you waste your time refuting BiT's podsnappery? He's a dedicated member of Trump's claque.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I really hope that you don't live long enough to see what a real insurrection looks like.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I really hope that you don't live long enough to see what a real insurrection looks like.
I've already lived long enough to see plenty, albeit none of them here (before January 6) and none of them up close and personal. Remember Ferdinand Marcos? Remember the Arab Spring? And there used to be this guy called Qaddafi. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:57 pm

Spock wrote:
The only thing separating January 6 from what Spock would probably consider a "real" insurrection was the rather inept leadership of the mob. I wonder what he would be saying if they had caught up to some members of Congress.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:06 pm
Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I've already lived long enough to see plenty, albeit none of them here (before January 6) and none of them up close and personal. Remember Ferdinand Marcos? Remember the Arab Spring? And there used to be this guy called Qaddafi. --Bob
Good, so you should be able to tell the difference between a real insurrection and and a mostly peaceful protest.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:06 pm
Spock wrote:
Good, so you should be able to tell the difference between a real insurrection and and a mostly peaceful protest.
I can. Peaceful protests don't result in elected officials fleeing for their lives. They don't result in elected officials begging for the National Guard to protect them. And they don't result in sworn officers being savagely beaten. --Bob

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:00 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am
I can. Peaceful protests don't result in elected officials fleeing for their lives. They don't result in elected officials begging for the National Guard to protect them. And they don't result in sworn officers being savagely beaten. --Bob
I said mostly peaceful. You removed that word.

And you proved my point. You have no idea what an insurrection is or looks like. Insurrectionists don't spend time taking selfies.

Edited to add:

Insurrectionists are armed and USE those arms as they attack their target. The only shot during the Jan 6 riot was at point blank range at an unarmed protester. No shots fired by the protesters. Not one.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 am

BackInTex wrote:

I must say that I am a bit shocked to see that BiT expressed so little regard for our military and its leaders.

I have had the pleasure in the past decade of knowing a few general officers. Unquestionably, politics is part of the job. However, each overwhelmingly was driven not by political ambition or personal ego but rather a sense of duty and trying to make the country a little better, a little safer. Are there generals who are ego-maniacs? Undeniably, as is true for any other position or line of work. However, one cannot blindly label the entire group.

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:57 am

Appa23 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 am
BackInTex wrote:

I must say that I am a bit shocked to see that BiT expressed so little regard for our military and its leaders.

I have had the pleasure in the past decade of knowing a few general officers. Unquestionably, politics is part of the job. However, each overwhelmingly was driven not by political ambition or personal ego but rather a sense of duty and trying to make the country a little better, a little safer. Are there generals who are ego-maniacs? Undeniably, as is true for any other position or line of work. However, one cannot blindly label the entire group.
The overwhelming majority of military leadership do their job and try to keep their opinions out of the news. Those that seek to get their opinions in the news are a different bunch. But to get to be a general, yes, you are a politician, at least within the military. But the politics should stay in the military. Generals expect, as they should, not be be insubordinated by those who report to, or have reported to, them. They should be held to the same standard.
~~ Thomas Jefferson