WTG, Zaila Avant-garde!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

WTG, Zaila Avant-garde!

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:48 am

Louisiana eighth-grader Zaila Avant-garde became the first Black American to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee Thursday night, taking the 2021 crown with the successful spelling of the word “murraya.” The 14-year-old jumped and twirled on stage after winning, capping an extraordinary rise in the competition after only taking up competitive spelling two years ago. Avant-garde finished in 370th place in the 2019 competition—the 2020 competition was cancelled due to Covid—before winning the title this year, a feat she attributes to the help of her tutors and a “a bit of luck.”

That might be true about the luck part, other than the fact that the 14-year-old appears to be good at just about everything she sets her mind to. Avant-garde already has three Guinness World Records in basketball dribbling, including: the most simultaneously basketballs dribbled (six basketballs for 30 seconds); the most basketball bounces (307 bounces in 30 seconds); and the most bounce juggles in one minute (255 using four basketballs). Avant-garde’s remarkable skills netted her an appearance in a commercial with Stephen Curry and cemented her status online as an all-around legend.

In an appearance on Good Morning America Friday, Avant-garde, who was given her last name by her father in honor of jazz musician John Coltrane, said she hopes her win inspires others. “I’m hoping that in a few years I’ll see a whole lot more African American females, and males too, doing well in the Scripps Spelling Bee,” said Avant-garde. “You don’t really see too many African Americans doing too well in spelling bees and that’s a bit sad, because it’s a really good thing … and kind of is a gate-opener to be interested in education.”

I didn't get to watch this year, but I know it will be around on Youtube soon, if not already.

Congratulations to Zaila!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

Re: WTG, Zaila Avant-garde!

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:09 am

They talked about her on the morning talk show I like to listen to.

Spelling is her hobby. One thing not mentioned in your quotes, which really impressed me, is that she says she practices spelling about 7 hours a day. I don't think luck had as much to do with it as much as determination and grit. She is an impressive person and hopefully we will see much about her.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson