New Canine Friend

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

New Canine Friend

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Welcome to Casa Sprots, Miss Christy Lee Sprots!

I'll leave that avatar up for a couple days. She's my dream pooch -- half Corgi, half Border Collie (according to the person who turned her in).

She and Libby get along great, and I can't wait to see her in action when I take her fishing. Will she be like Casey, who scared off every fish in the stream by running back and forth on logs and rocks? Or like Libby, who doesn't scare any fish because she's at the top of the ridge chasing chipmunks and crows?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

a1mamacat

Re: New Canine Friend

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:29 pm

Ohhh very lovely duo. 🥰
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:00 pm

Love the White Sox Brigade!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:11 pm

It looks like ChristyLee won't be doing a lot of fishing, at least no fly fishing in the high country.

She had an episode of breathing difficulty going up a little hill Monday evening. I called MatiasMom, and she advised me to get her in to the vet right away, which I did. The diagnosis was pulmonary stenosis, which is rare enough in dogs that no one anywhere near here treats it. The vet said that even if I did spend the time and money finding treatment, there's a good chance it wouldn't work.

So, it looks like I'll have her for anywhere from a few months to a few years. MatiasMom, the vet, and the shelter I adopted her from all say the same thing -- no strenuous or sudden exertion, no high-altitude hiking, no rough play with Libby.

I hope it's years, but we'll see.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:24 pm

:(
Well, then

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:14 pm

:(

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm

I'm sorry your new fur baby will have struggles, but I have no doubt whatever time she's allotted will be the best ever.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:50 pm

I'm sure it's not the same thing, but my kitty Dub, years ago when I first met everyone here, had what they call feline asthma, which basically means they don't breathe so well and they don't know what else to call it. He got a steroid shot every three months that seemed to help keep the lung tissues down, and he seemed to breathe much better.

Prednisolone or prednisone, something like that. Might be a Band-Aid-type treatment that could make you new pal feel better.

Best wishes. Sure is pretty!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:41 am

No matter how much time she has left, it will be much better time for having had you as her two footer.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Thanks, all.

Here's hoping for at least a couple more years with my bright and lively friend.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:23 pm

And I say goodbye to my dream pooch. :(

It just got to be too hard for her to breathe -- even a jog across the yard, and her tongue and lips would turn blue from lack of circulation. The vet said she actually lasted a few months more than she expected her to.

a1mamacat

#12 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:30 pm

Ahh so sorry Sprots. Many hugs 🙁

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks, Saucy.

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:59 pm

Gone too soon. So sorry.
--------

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 pm

Oh Sprots. This is so sad. Hugs and just jeez.
Well, then

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:47 pm

Sorry to see this, but she did live a wonderful last few months with someone who cared about her. She'll take that with her.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#17 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:51 pm

Oh, man.. so sorry Sprots! I know you made her last months wonderful.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:51 pm

:cry: I'm sorry to hear that.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#19 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:36 pm

Thanks, Skoop, MsKing, BiT, TLynn, and BobJ -- much appreciated.

Her last months were as wonderful as we could make them. She didn't know she was sick. The only time she demonstrated unhappiness was when we would take Libby for a walk and leave her at the house -- ear-splitting howls resulted!Then she would sulk for a little while when we came home.

Veterinary science is truly amazing, but this is one area that may never be fixed. If they couldn't fix Cooper Manning, they're darn sure not going to put in the research to fix it for random mutts.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:37 pm

I just noticed this sad update in this old thread.

I'm sorry, Sprots. :(

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#21 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:49 pm

Thanks, Marley. I'm feeling better today, and so it goes.