Surfside, FL building collapse

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Surfside, FL building collapse

#1 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:46 pm

This is just horrible. A thing of nightmares. 53 condo units, gone.

The entire back part of the building collapsed to the ground <-- click here to see street view from a few years back.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

triviawayne

Re: Surfside, FL building collapse

#2 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 pm

anyone care to speculate?

i'm going to guess a truck smacked into one of those pillars.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Sinkhole.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:29 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 pm

There is video of the collapse from the security camera of the neighboring property. The collapse started in the middle, leaving a "stand alone" tower, which then collapsed shortly afterwards.

If what you speculate is true, they may be able to determine that because whomever would have done that will likely still be in the vehicle.

However, there are reports about know unstableness of the property and that it had been "known" to have been sinking since the '90s (it was built in 1981).

Wdowinski said his research is not meant to suggest certainty about what caused the collapse. The building was sinking at a rate of about 2 millimeters a year in the 1990s, and could have slowed or accelerated in the time since, he said.

In his experience, even the level of sinking observed in the 1990s typically results in impacts to buildings and their structures, Wdowinski said. He believes that very well could have been the case for the Champlain building in the 1990s, based on his findings.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm
triviawayne wrote:

Sinkhole.
That's uncalled for! :)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Notice in BiT's Google image that there is a very similar-looking building nearby.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#7 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:13 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:29 pm
triviawayne wrote:

There is video of the collapse from the security camera of the neighboring property. The collapse started in the middle, leaving a "stand alone" tower, which then collapsed shortly afterwards.

If what you speculate is true, they may be able to determine that because whomever would have done that will likely still be in the vehicle.

However, there are reports about know unstableness of the property and that it had been "known" to have been sinking since the '90s (it was built in 1981).

Wdowinski said his research is not meant to suggest certainty about what caused the collapse. The building was sinking at a rate of about 2 millimeters a year in the 1990s, and could have slowed or accelerated in the time since, he said.

In his experience, even the level of sinking observed in the 1990s typically results in impacts to buildings and their structures, Wdowinski said. He believes that very well could have been the case for the Champlain building in the 1990s, based on his findings.

I didn’t click on the link, the only thing I read was when it first happened and there was no information; silly of me to assume that was still the case.

I was thinking more of a truck hitting a pillar, but not an immediate collapse.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 am

My daughter, who does human trafficking rescue, says they found 15 women in the building. She handled three of them.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:38 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 am
My daughter, who does human trafficking rescue, says they found 15 women in the building. She handled three of them.
Was this before or after the collapse?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Latest news: 4 dead, 149 still unaccounted for. Many residents belong to the Lubavitcher Chassidim Orthodox Jewish sect.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:35 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:38 am
Bob Juch wrote:
After.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:35 am
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
After.
Wow. Were condos there being used as brothels or just stash housing?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am
Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

After.
They were being housed there, all in one apartment. It was human trafficking but not prostitution.

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:02 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

After.
They were being housed there, all in one apartment. It was human trafficking but not prostitution.
That's some expensive stash housing. Two units were for sale at $600K.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:02 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am
BackInTex wrote:

That's some expensive stash housing. Two units were for sale at $600K.
I doubt that the story will be reported in the news. My daughter didn't talk to the three victims; she just made arrangements for them.

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:32 pm

As delicately as I can put this, I would have thought that they would have found more bodies and/or survivors by now, at least under some of the debris. You would also think that of the 150 or so people unaccounted for, some of them who weren't home when it happened might have contacted authorities to let them know they were safe.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:32 pm
As delicately as I can put this, I would have thought that they would have found more bodies and/or survivors by now, at least under some of the debris. You would also think that of the 150 or so people unaccounted for, some of them who weren't home when it happened might have contacted authorities to let them know they were safe.
Many of those condos were probably winter residences, but yes, there should have been lots of "I'm safe" calls. I was sent to Mexico City right after the 1985 earthquake, and they were rescuing hundreds of people trapped in the rubble. There were over 10,000 killed, IIRC.

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:33 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17 pm
Many of those condos were probably winter residences, but yes, there should have been lots of "I'm safe" calls. I was sent to Mexico City right after the 1985 earthquake, and they were rescuing hundreds of people trapped in the rubble. There were over 10,000 killed, IIRC.
It was about 60 condos. The building didn't allow short-term rentals (VBRO, ets.) so a lot of the units may have been empty, but even if half were occupied and averaged 4 per unit, that is 120 people.

They are still in "rescue" mode which means they can't just go in with heavy equipment to begin lifting large chunks of concrete for fear they may cause a shift in debris that may kill someone that is still alive.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:52 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:33 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17 pm
It was about 60 condos. The building didn't allow short-term rentals (VBRO, ets.) so a lot of the units may have been empty, but even if half were occupied and averaged 4 per unit, that is 120 people.

They are still in "rescue" mode which means they can't just go in with heavy equipment to begin lifting large chunks of concrete for fear they may cause a shift in debris that may kill someone that is still alive.
And the fire is still burning. :(

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:20 am

Condo owners in Surfside building were facing assessments for $15 million worth of repairs
Condo owners in the South Florida tower that collapsed last week were facing assessments for millions of dollars worth of repairs -- with payments set to begin a week after the building's deadly fall. The Champlain Towers South condo association approved a $15 million assessment in April to complete repairs required under the county's 40-year recertification process, according to documents obtained by CNN.

The documents show that more than two years had passed after association members received a report about "major structural damage" in the building before they started the assessment process to pay for necessary repairs. Owners would have to pay assessments ranging from $80,190 for one-bedroom units to $336,135 for the owner of the building's four-bedroom penthouse, a document sent to the building's residents said. The deadline to pay upfront or choose paying a monthly fee lasting 15 years was July 1.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com