Big Brother Is Here -- 2021 Florida Edition

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Big Brother Is Here -- 2021 Florida Edition

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:57 am

Under the law [FL Governor Ron DeSantis] signed Tuesday, which goes into effect July 1, public universities must assess “viewpoint diversity” on campus each year through a survey developed by the State Board of Education, a requirement that a free-speech expert predicted as a model for other conservative-led states. Although the Florida law does not address penalties for schools where the survey finds low levels of “intellectual freedom” and “viewpoint diversity,” DeSantis has hinted at the potential for budget cuts at universities that don’t pass muster.

The bill defines those two terms as the exposure to — and encouragement or exploration of — “a variety of ideological and political perspectives." DeSantis says he is concerned about the free flow of ideas on campus and whether higher education stifles free speech from conservatives. "We want our universities to be focused on critical thinking and academic rigor. We do not want them as basically hotbeds for stale ideology,” DeSantis said at a news conference Tuesday. “That’s not worth tax dollars and not something we’re going to be supporting moving forward.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... 8060e5a17c

So, DeSantis wants to survey what students at public universities think, and if sufficient numbers of them, whatever those might be, don't have the "right thoughts," whatever those might be, the schools could lose funding.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: Big Brother Is Here -- 2021 Florida Edition

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:07 am

That will backfire. A college that leans right would violate the law.

In my first quarter at UCLA, I was in an English seminar (I jumped over the "Freshman English" courses thanks to my SAT score). Unfortunately, the professor had us read an article in "The New Republic" and write a paper analyzing it. We quickly found that if we disagreed with it, we got a "D". Those of us who refused to be quietly indoctrinated complained to the English department head but were told to go away and shut up. With a law like Florida's, we could have sued.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Y'all do see the irony in this scenario...
Well, then

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:43 pm
Y'all do see the irony in this scenario...
Unfortunately they don't. This is just the opposite of the thread title.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)