Those Who Can Reach Dave On EFB

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Those Who Can Reach Dave On EFB

#1 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 am

When I helped jaybee get back onto the Bored Friday night, I had to change the captcha settings since the WWTBAM themed sortable questions Dave added to ward off spambots were getting a bit too hard for even seasoned veterans of the Bored. I changed it back last night after noticing some spammers had gotten through, but it seems there've been a few more registrations overnight (most unable to activate their accounts), so I'm not sure if it went back to those old questions that were keeping spammers (and maybe a few legits) on the outside.

Anyway, if someone could give him a ping that he might want to look at the captcha situation and fix anything I might have goofed up, along with maybe at least getting rid of that million dollar answers question that half the people on this Bored would probably fail right now...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: Those Who Can Reach Dave On EFB

#2 Post by Vandal » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:13 am

I sent him your message.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#3 Post by tubadave » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:08 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 am
When I helped jaybee get back onto the Bored Friday night, I had to change the captcha settings since the WWTBAM themed sortable questions Dave added to ward off spambots were getting a bit too hard for even seasoned veterans of the Bored.
Now that's just sad. :P

littlebeast13 wrote:
I changed it back last night after noticing some spammers had gotten through, but it seems there've been a few more registrations overnight (most unable to activate their accounts), so I'm not sure if it went back to those old questions that were keeping spammers (and maybe a few legits) on the outside.
I just checked on it, and it reverted back to using that same question, since it is (as far as I can remember) the only one I put in there.

littlebeast13 wrote:
Anyway, if someone could give him a ping that he might want to look at the captcha situation and fix anything I might have goofed up, along with maybe at least getting rid of that million dollar answers question that half the people on this Bored would probably fail right now...
I'm certainly open to changing the question (suggestions welcome) though the captcha should remain, as it has proven reasonably effective at keeping out the majority of the digital canned meat product.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 pm

tubadave wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:08 pm
littlebeast13 wrote:
When I helped jaybee get back onto the Bored Friday night, I had to change the captcha settings since the WWTBAM themed sortable questions Dave added to ward off spambots were getting a bit too hard for even seasoned veterans of the Bored.
Now that's just sad. :P

littlebeast13 wrote:
I changed it back last night after noticing some spammers had gotten through, but it seems there've been a few more registrations overnight (most unable to activate their accounts), so I'm not sure if it went back to those old questions that were keeping spammers (and maybe a few legits) on the outside.
I just checked on it, and it reverted back to using that same question, since it is (as far as I can remember) the only one I put in there.

littlebeast13 wrote:
I'm certainly open to changing the question (suggestions welcome) though the captcha should remain, as it has proven reasonably effective at keeping out the majority of the digital canned meat product.
How smart are the spammers? Can we use a CAPTCHA that’s squarely answered on the Bored’s front page (by what 5-letter word do we refer to this message board), or are there actual humans behind them who would figure it out and bypass the filter? —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:22 am

tubadave wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:08 pm
littlebeast13 wrote:

If we're assuming most members and wannabe members will have some interest in BAM, the host question (is it still there?) is probably OK. Most people with any interest (at least Americans) would probably know that Regis was the only primetime host, and the others were all Syndie.

Just don't ask any movie FF questions in case I ever get locked out!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com