RIP Athos the Cat

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kroxquo

RIP Athos the Cat

#1 Post by kroxquo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:26 pm

My daughter Janneke's friend for the last 17 years crossed the rainbow bridge today. Janneke had this to say:

There is a ticking clock that hangs over us all. There are times when it becomes visible, and there are those for whom the clock never shows, just its loud, clanging end.

Her clock shows twelve hours.

Twelve hours before, my cat was curled up beside me. I worked, crunching numbers and writing formulas, and she watched birds, letting me know they were there through the steady rumble of a contented purr. Her eyes moved from the birds to me and back again, purring never ceasing. She and I were content in the knowledge that this state of being, this simple pleasure of delighting in each other’s company would not end.

Fourteen years before, I heard her purr for the first time. I went to the animal shelter and asked them to give me the cat least likely to get adopted. They gave me a monstrous twenty pound behemoth of a cat, and I named her Athos.

Her cat carrier vibrated with purrs the whole way home. We were content in the knowledge that we would be together, and that we would derive a simple joy just from being beside one another.

Eight hours before, she started yowling and walking in small circles. I watched, tried placating her with food, tried treating the low blood sugar she probably had, and watched as those efforts failed, and she collapsed. I loaded her into her carrier and rushed. Still no clock in sight, but reality beginning to creep in. Athos is 17. There exists a clock, and though I know it ticks down to zero, it can’t be this close. I repeated my mantra, I believed, and I wished.

Years before - I doubt she or I remember - there were moments when I thought of running, of loading up the car and leaving, just my passport, a backpack, and me. Every time I thought about it, she was there, this little orange face, and the promise we’d made to each other. The simple joy of each other’s company. The lulling rumble of a contented purr, and my hand nestled in her fur in kind.

As her clock comes into view, and I see how close to the end it is, I remember how much she’s saved me, and that I cannot promise the same in kind.

I get a call, and the options are laid out before me. It is 12.30AM. I am alone.

It will not be the first time I lose a pet. It will not be the last. But there is a special hurt that cuts deep. I didn’t know today would be the last day. I didn’t know that snuggle would be the last. I didn’t know the moment I loaded her into the carrier would be the last. When I can see the clock, it’s easier to relish that last comfortable moment before the plunge into the abyss. When the clock is hidden, you’re left with a hollow pain and the desperate wish for reality to not be so. You beg for that one last moment where you can nudge the hands of the clock, hold them still long enough to savour what you have.

That quiet, peaceful comfort of nestling beside each other.

It is 12.30AM. I am alone, save for the clock.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: RIP Athos the Cat

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:46 pm

I am so very sorry. I have a purrer who sleeps with me. The best purrer ever. This was a beautiful tribute.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:47 pm

:cry: I feel my own clock ticking. :cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:48 pm

Such a beautiful tribute. Hugs.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:55 am

Strange how dusty the room got as I was reading this. As the chosen companion/slave to the soon-to-be 16 year-old princess Freya, who adopted me as a kitten on first glance, this post definitely had an effect on me.

:cry:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck