Worst MLB defensive play ever?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19908
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:27 pm

This play by the Pirates today against the Cubs has to be a candidate for the worst MLB defensive play ever. It's important to know that there were two outs in the inning and a runner on second when the play started. Somehow, a routine ground ball to third, fielded cleanly and in plenty of time, thrown to first and caught cleanly by the first baseman well in advance of the batter's arrival, ended up with the runner scoring and the batter reaching second safely.

If you didn't recognize the MLB uniforms, you'd have thought it was a play straight from a Little League game. And not a good one. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30583
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:10 pm

I can't see the video since it wants me to disable my ad blocker (Ain't happening)... but did any of the Pirates commit three errors on that one play?



lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19908
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:14 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:10 pm
I can't see the video since it wants me to disable my ad blocker (Ain't happening)... but did any of the Pirates commit three errors on that one play?



lb13
Here's another link.

Two out, man on second. Routine ground ball to third. The throw's in plenty of time, but it pulls the Pirate first baseman off the bag to toward home. Instead of running into the out, Baez (the batter) hits the brakes and slowly retreats toward home. Instead of stepping on the bag, the first baseman chases Baez. When he gets around ten feet from the plate, he realizes that Contreras, the runner who started the play at second, never stopped running and is about to touch the plate. So instead of running down Baez or just retreating to touch first base, he soft-tosses the ball to the catcher, but the throw is late and Contreras beats the tag.

In the meantime, Baez has again reversed course and is now booking for first base. No one was covering. The second baseman ran over but couldn't handle the throw from the catcher. Not only does Baez reach first (so the run scored), but he takes second on the wild throw. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30583
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:45 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:14 pm
Two out, man on second. Routine ground ball to third. The throw's in plenty of time, but it pulls the Pirate first baseman off the bag to toward home. Instead of running into the out, Baez (the batter) hits the brakes and slowly retreats toward home. Instead of stepping on the bag, the first baseman chases Baez. When he gets around ten feet from the plate, he realizes that Contreras, the runner who started the play at second, never stopped running and is about to touch the plate. So instead of running down Baez or just retreating to touch first base, he soft-tosses the ball to the catcher, but the throw is late and Contreras beats the tag.

In the meantime, Baez has again reversed course and is now booking for first base. No one was covering. The second baseman ran over but couldn't handle the throw from the catcher. Not only does Baez reach first (so the run scored), but he takes second on the wild throw. --Bob
Wow. I was a first baseman in Little League, and I may have dropped a few easy throws, but I'm pretty sure I'd have never chased a runner back towards home plate...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Ritterskoop
Posts: 5489
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu May 27, 2021 9:11 pm

Just step on the bag, don't lolly-gag down the line toward home. Dumbass.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19190
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 27, 2021 9:45 pm

ESPN has their "Not Top 10 Plays of the Week." This one will probably finish number one on the Not Top 10 Plays of the Year.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
kroxquo
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: On the Road to Kingdom Come
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#7 Post by kroxquo » Fri May 28, 2021 5:39 am

Not as bad as the Pittsburgh fiasco, but if we are talking about bad defense, we can't for get this immortal bonehead (literally) play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

User avatar
mrkelley23
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:14 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:45 pm
ESPN has their "Not Top 10 Plays of the Week." This one will probably finish number one on the Not Top 10 Plays of the Year.
The century, I'm thinking
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19908
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:11 pm
Just step on the bag, don't lolly-gag down the line toward home. Dumbass.
Or just finish chasing Baez all the way to the plate and tag him. If he goes all the way back to the plate, he's automatically out. And it's not a timing play -- no run can score on a play where the batter-runner makes the third out before safely reaching first base. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30583
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:25 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:11 pm
Just step on the bag, don't lolly-gag down the line toward home. Dumbass.
Or just finish chasing Baez all the way to the plate and tag him. If he goes all the way back to the plate, he's automatically out. And it's not a timing play -- no run can score on a play where the batter-runner makes the third out before safely reaching first base. --Bob
I keep watching that video over and over looking for any evidence that ANYONE involved in it, including Baez himself, knew that putting him out would have negated the entire travesty. There's no way Baez got in that rundown.... er, walkdown intentionally. And Baez was practically leaning on the catcher when he received the throw from the first baseman.... yet the catcher instinctively turned to try to tag Contreras. And either of the middle infielders (and maybe the right fielder) could have charged to first in plenty of time and yelled "Hey, idiots! Throw the damn ball here and none of this ever happened!" I guess it just goes to show you that stupidity is contagious...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19908
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 28, 2021 8:27 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:08 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:25 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:11 pm
Just step on the bag, don't lolly-gag down the line toward home. Dumbass.
Or just finish chasing Baez all the way to the plate and tag him. If he goes all the way back to the plate, he's automatically out. And it's not a timing play -- no run can score on a play where the batter-runner makes the third out before safely reaching first base. --Bob
I keep watching that video over and over looking for any evidence that ANYONE involved in it, including Baez himself, knew that putting him out would have negated the entire travesty. There's no way Baez got in that rundown.... er, walkdown intentionally. And Baez was practically leaning on the catcher when he received the throw from the first baseman.... yet the catcher instinctively turned to try to tag Contreras. And either of the middle infielders (and maybe the right fielder) could have charged to first in plenty of time and yelled "Hey, idiots! Throw the damn ball here and none of this ever happened!" I guess it just goes to show you that stupidity is contagious...

lb13
I assume Baez was thinking something along the lines of, "Keep the play alive and maybe something good will happen." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30583
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#12 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 am

More Little League problems for the Pirates....

https://www.mlb.com/video/hayes-home-run-overturned

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19190
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 am
More Little League problems for the Pirates....

https://www.mlb.com/video/hayes-home-run-overturned

lb13
The only thing that makes this play even slightly excusable is that the ball hit the wall just over the fence and caromed back on the field. The batter couldn't be sure if it was in play, in which case he would need to hustle to reach second base.

Having said that, a single because the runner has to go back and touch the base is the equivalent of a single in which the runner trips over the bag and has to stop. It's much, much, much better than what actually happened.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator
Posts: 6822
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#14 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:12 am

Me after seeing this play the next day:


:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:



Me after watching this play again this morning:


:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19908
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Worst MLB defensive play ever?

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Yet another bonehead play in a Pirates game, although this time the Pirates were the beneficiaries, not the victims. They scored three runs on an infield single that was fielded no more than 20 feet from home plate. Arguing was involved when the Mets (the aforementioned boneheads) should have been playing baseball. Shades of David Cone.

Fortunately for the Mets, form reasserted itself in the nick of time. After this play put them behind 6-0 in the bottom of the 1st, the bullpen contributed 8 2/3 innings of shutout baseball and Mets scored 7 unanswered runs, capped by a 9th inning Conforto homer, to salvage the game by a 7-6 score. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply