Samoa ex-PM is pulling a Trump

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Samoa ex-PM is pulling a Trump

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Samoa's first female leader locked out of swearing-in ceremony

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/22601815 ... n-ceremony

Opponents of Samoa’s first elected female prime minister locked the doors of the statehouse to prevent her from taking office on Monday in what she characterized as a “bloodless coup."

The Washington Post reports that Fiame Naomi Mata’afa and her followers were not deterred by the bizarre stunt and instead erected a tent on the statehouse lawn where she took her oath of office.

The Post notes that this is the latest development in what has been a tumultuous six-week constitutional crisis as Mata’afa’s opponent, Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, refuses to cede power.

Malielegaoi has been prime minister of the island of roughly 200,000 people since 1998.

The crisis began when the national elections ended on April 9 in a 25-25 tie between Mata’afa and Malielegaoi.

The tie appeared to have been broken when the sole independent lawmaker went with Mata’afa, but the ruling Human Rights Protection (HRP) Party, which Malielegaoi leads, appointed another HRP lawmaker that restored the tie.

To resolve the issue, the Post reports that Afioga Tuimalealiifano Vaaletoa Sualauvi II, the head of state of Samoa and a Malielegaoi-ally, announced a new election. However, Mata’afa’s FAST Party successfully petitioned the Supreme Court to annul the last-minute appointment, resulting in her victory.

Despite the ruling, normal procedures that would take place with a new prime minister were canceled without explanation, such as the opening of Parliament.

“We have to fight this because we want to retain this country as a country that is democratically ruled, premised on the rule of law,” Mata’afa told New Zealand news outlet Newshub.

Malielegaoi called Mata’afa's swearing-in ceremony "a joke," the Post reports.

“Oh my, where have we ever seen a Speaker sworn in, in a tent? Shameful,” he reportedly said to New Zealand media.

Mata’afa's rise to power would have international implications as she has pledged to stop a planned $100 million Chinese wharf from being built in Samoa.

The wharf was part of the reason why she had left the HRP. Although she has expressed a desire to maintain relationships with Beijing, the Post reports that she took issue with adding to Samoa's $150 million debt to China.

The Post reports that international observers appear to be reluctant to take sides in the crisis that has resulted in two governments laying claim to the country.

"We have faith in Samoa’s democracy and in their institutions,” New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, according to the Post.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne called on “all parties [to] respect the rule of law and democratic processes.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

Re: Samoa ex-PM is pulling a Trump

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Explain what you mean by “a Trump”.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 24, 2021 10:46 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:10 pm
What he would have done.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 25, 2021 5:50 am

It's times like this that I really miss Flock not being here to make fun of these people's names.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 25, 2021 6:49 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:46 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:10 pm
What he would have done.
Say what it is you think he would have done and show me where he did that. Not "would have" because he had a similar situation and didn't, despite the left's predictions he would. Just like they predicted he wouldn't accept the 2016 results, yet it was the left that didn't.
Last edited by BackInTex on Tue May 25, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 25, 2021 7:56 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:49 am
Just like they predicted he wouldn't accept the 2016 results, yet it was the left that didn't.
I must have missed the mob of Hillary protestors who stormed the Capitol in January 2017 trying to stop the election certification after she encouraged them to do so.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 25, 2021 8:34 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:56 am
BackInTex wrote:
Just like they predicted he wouldn't accept the 2016 results, yet it was the left that didn't.
I must have missed the mob of Hillary protestors who stormed the Capitol in January 2017 trying to stop the election certification after she encouraged them to do so.
The mob was in the House Chambers for four full years. I don't know how you missed it.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:46 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:34 am
BackInTex wrote:
The mob was in the House Chambers for four full years. I don't know how you missed it.
True story.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue May 25, 2021 9:27 am

BackInTex wrote:
Say what it is you think he would have done and show me where he did that. Not "would have" because he had a similar situation and didn't, despite the left's predictions he would. Just like they predicted he wouldn't accept the 2016 results, yet it was the left that didn't.
It was accurate - just 4 years early. :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

wbtravis007

#10 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:07 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:46 am
BackInTex wrote:

True story.
Story being the operative word.

I know this is a thing. I've heard it before. But, I honestly have no idea what the hell people are talking about when they say something like this.

Can somebody splain this, please?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:07 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
True story.

I know this is a thing. I've heard it before. But, I honestly have no idea what the hell people are talking about when they say something like this.

It gets their panties in a bunch that Donny was impeached twice, both times by bipartisan votes, and that both trials resulted in bipartisan votes for conviction, though not by the two-thirds majority required for a conviction. They probably also won't like it very much when Donny is arrested and stands trial. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
True story.

It gets their panties in a bunch that Donny was impeached twice, both times by bipartisan votes, and that both trials resulted in bipartisan votes for conviction, though not by the two-thirds majority required for a conviction. They probably also won't like it very much when Donny is arrested and stands trial. --Bob
I'm still thinking the dems' panties are smaller in the big picture. Wadwise.
Well, then

wbtravis007

#13 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:10 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

I'm still thinking the dems' panties are smaller in the big picture. Wadwise.
Right...

What’s an ark?

And, I guess it’s also worth asking: what’s a Wadwise?