An Object Lesson in Patience

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

An Object Lesson in Patience

#1 Post by Spock » Sat May 22, 2021 10:59 am

It has been absolutely fascinating over the last 15 months to watch the Covid Lab Leak theory slowly gain acceptance as a viable hypothesis rather than a wild-eyed conspiracy theory. The dam really broke in early May with the publication of the Nicholas Wade paper. Mr. Wade (among other things) is (was) a long-time science reporter at the New York times.

It is also an object lesson in how science shouldn't work.

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-ori ... -at-wuhan/

In many ways, it has become the operative theory.

https://unherd.com/2021/05/how-scientis ... cepticism/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVVE6MD7tRw

While I don't expect most here to read (or listen) to these long links-I encourage people to skim through the articles and at least read about Peter Daszak and his role in the Wuhan labs and his corrupt prominent role in placing the lab leak theory initially off-limits.

I would also remind people that SSS with his lack of scientific curiosity and his usual 5 seconds of Googling slammed the hell out of me with the now discredited early stuff from March and April 2020 that dismissed out of hand the lab leak theory.

>>>>"The yawning gap between the actual state of knowledge at the time and the confidence displayed in the two letters should have been obvious to anyone in the field of virology. And indeed, there were scientists from outside the guild, but in fields adjacent enough to speak competently, who said as much. The Lancet and Nature Medicine letters were in fact anti-scientific in spirit and intent. Yet the pronouncements had the effect of shutting down inquiry that was not only legitimate, but urgently needed."<<<<

I have often said that many here have the attention span of a gnat and immediately accept the initial narrative. But that outlook failed this time and patience prevailed to the point where we have the director of Biden's CDC mentioning the lab leak theory in testimony to Congress.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: An Object Lesson in Patience

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Rec
Well, then

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 22, 2021 2:25 pm

At least he's not claiming the lab created then released the virus.

The same guy wrote "A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Well, then

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Wed May 26, 2021 4:52 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Well, then

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 26, 2021 5:38 pm

Note a key sentence: "Experts in viral genome evolution determined that it almost certainly was not engineered as a bioweapon because it has several naturally occurring features and is closely related to a 2014 coronavirus that came from a bat in a cave in China."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:38 pm
Note a key sentence: "Experts in viral genome evolution determined that it almost certainly was not engineered as a bioweapon because it has several naturally occurring features and is closely related to a 2014 coronavirus that came from a bat in a cave in China."
Means nothing in the discussion. Engineering something doesn't require you to start from scratch. Deflection much...
Well, then