RIP Roger Hawkins

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

RIP Roger Hawkins

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri May 21, 2021 6:37 am

That's not a name you'd recognize, but you'd recognize his body of work. He was a drummer, one of the legendary "Swampers" at Muscle Shoals (and a founder of Muscle Shoals Sound Studios).

https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/swamper ... -died.html
Born in Mishawaka, Indiana and a longtime Shoals resident, Hawkins played on classic R&B and rock hits including: “Mustang Sally” by Wilson Pickett; “When a Man Loves a Woman” by Percy Sledge; “Respect,” “Chain of Fools” and “Think” by Aretha Franklin; “I’ll Take You There” by The Staple Singers; “Old Time Rock and Roll” by Bob Seger; “Slip Away” by Clarence Carter; and many others.

Perhaps his most immortal groove, and he created many of those, powers 1966 Pickett smash “Land of 1000 Dances.” Particularly the infectious breakdown pattern, played on Hawkins’ gold-sparkle Ludwig kit and Speed King kickdrum pedal.

The hundreds of sessions he played on also include recordings by Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Otis Redding, James Brown, Johnny Taylor, Rod Stewart, Cat Stevens, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Buffett, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Glenn Frey, Boz Scaggs, Candi Staton, Jimmy Cliff, Levon Helm, Delbert McClinton, Steve Cropper, Alicia Keys and many more.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

earendel

Re: RIP Roger Hawkins

#2 Post by earendel » Fri May 21, 2021 8:06 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:37 am
That's not a name you'd recognize, but you'd recognize his body of work. He was a drummer, one of the legendary "Swampers" at Muscle Shoals (and a founder of Muscle Shoals Sound Studios).

https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/swamper ... -died.html
Born in Mishawaka, Indiana and a longtime Shoals resident, Hawkins played on classic R&B and rock hits including: “Mustang Sally” by Wilson Pickett; “When a Man Loves a Woman” by Percy Sledge; “Respect,” “Chain of Fools” and “Think” by Aretha Franklin; “I’ll Take You There” by The Staple Singers; “Old Time Rock and Roll” by Bob Seger; “Slip Away” by Clarence Carter; and many others.

Perhaps his most immortal groove, and he created many of those, powers 1966 Pickett smash “Land of 1000 Dances.” Particularly the infectious breakdown pattern, played on Hawkins’ gold-sparkle Ludwig kit and Speed King kickdrum pedal.

The hundreds of sessions he played on also include recordings by Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Otis Redding, James Brown, Johnny Taylor, Rod Stewart, Cat Stevens, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Buffett, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Glenn Frey, Boz Scaggs, Candi Staton, Jimmy Cliff, Levon Helm, Delbert McClinton, Steve Cropper, Alicia Keys and many more.
I heard this on Sirius XM, the 60s channel. They played several songs on which he had been the drummer, including "Take a Letter, Maria".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 21, 2021 8:24 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Hawkins played on classic R&B and rock hits including: ... “Respect,” “Chain of Fools” and “Think” by Aretha Franklin;
The recent Genius miniseries (now available on Hulu) about Aretha Franklin (Cynthia Erivo) included her Muscle Shoals recording sessions in the first episode. An actor named Daniel Baldock played Hawkins, who had a brief scene along with the other backup musicians talking with Franklin during a break in the recording session.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Fri May 21, 2021 3:32 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
That's not a name you'd recognize, ...
Speak for yourself.

RIP, Mr. Hawkins
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Estonut wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:32 pm
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Speak for yourself.

RIP, Mr. Hawkins
In all fairness, Esto, Spiff made a valid, if generalized, statement, as I doubt that the average music fan would know this name.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Sun May 23, 2021 12:48 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Estonut wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Speak for yourself.

RIP, Mr. Hawkins
In all fairness, Esto, Spiff made a valid, if generalized, statement, as I doubt that the average music fan would know this name.
True, but generalizations will generally not apply on this site.

I'd have been totally fine had he said, "That's not a name most people would recognize, ..."

I doubt that you and I are the only ones here familiar with the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.
Groucho Marx

wbtravis007

#7 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:00 am

Estonut wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:48 am
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Speak for yourself.

RIP, Mr. Hawkins

I'd have been totally fine had he said, "That's not a name most people would recognize, ..."

I doubt that you and I are the only ones here familiar with the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.
I'd bet that on just about any "site" on the internet you could find at least one jerk.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:00 am
Estonut wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:

I'd bet that on just about any "site" on the internet you could find at least one jerk.
All the ones you visit, for sure.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Estonut wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Estonut wrote:

Like this one.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

wbtravis007

#10 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:34 am

Estonut wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Estonut wrote:

I know you are but what am I?

I'm rubber and you're glue.

I'd have been totally fine if you had said something like: "Well, actually, I do know of this guy ..."