CDC Drops Mask Requirements for Vaccinated People

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: CDC Drops Mask Requirements for Vaccinated People

#26 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 19, 2021 5:49 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm
About five customers did not have masks, but the vast majority (including me) were still wearing them.
Why? I thought you were all about "follow the science". While I'm sure the public appreciates not having to see your ugly mug ( :P ), the science and the CDC says a mask is of no use to you. And science also says wearing a mask when not needed is harmful as you are breathing in dirty air your body is designed to expel.
He wore his mask so people wouldn't think he's a Republican.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 19, 2021 6:12 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:43 pm
Wed May 19, 2021 3:34 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm
Why? I thought you were all about "follow the science". While I'm sure the public appreciates not having to see your ugly mug ( :P ), the science and the CDC says a mask is of no use to you. And science also says wearing a mask when not needed is harmful as you are breathing in dirty air your body is designed to expel.
First, there is no "science" that says that wearing a mask is harmful. People in medical settings routinely wore masks all day before the pandemic. Second, wearing the mask isn't "of no use to you," although for someone in my situation, it's only minimally helpful. But the reason I was wearing the mask in Publix (and I think why many others were still wearing masks) was to try to keep everyone at ease while shopping there.
Keeping them at ease by continuing to tell them there is something to fear?
Plenty of Californians aren't yet fully vaxxed even though they want to be. Vaccinations opened here to the general public on April 15, so if you moved as fast as possible and weren't otherwise eligible, if you got the Moderna vaccine you won't be fully vaxxed until May 27 at the earliest.

I know I'm fully vaxxed, but those I run across in indoor settings don't know that, usually don't know me, and shouldn't have to take my word for it. Sadly, there are simply too many people around who are willing to tell a bald-faced lie to avoid the inconvenience of wearing a mask. So I'm fine continuing to wear my mask for another month or so until everyone who wants to be vaccinated has had a fair opportunity to do so. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:12 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:43 pm
First, there is no "science" that says that wearing a mask is harmful. People in medical settings routinely wore masks all day before the pandemic. Second, wearing the mask isn't "of no use to you," although for someone in my situation, it's only minimally helpful. But the reason I was wearing the mask in Publix (and I think why many others were still wearing masks) was to try to keep everyone at ease while shopping there.
Keeping them at ease by continuing to tell them there is something to fear?
Plenty of Californians aren't yet fully vaxxed even though they want to be. Vaccinations opened here to the general public on April 15, so if you moved as fast as possible and weren't otherwise eligible, if you got the Moderna vaccine you won't be fully vaxxed until May 27 at the earliest.

I know I'm fully vaxxed, but those I run across in indoor settings don't know that, usually don't know me, and shouldn't have to take my word for it. Sadly, there are simply too many people around who are willing to tell a bald-faced lie to avoid the inconvenience of wearing a mask. So I'm fine continuing to wear my mask for another month or so until everyone who wants to be vaccinated has had a fair opportunity to do so. --Bob
And then there are people who make counterfeit vax cards. :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#29 Post by Estonut » Wed May 19, 2021 9:22 pm

People in medical settings routinely wore masks all day before the pandemic.
I doubt there's a single medical professional who "routinely wore a mask all day before the pandemic." They wore them to maintain a sterile field, but removed them as soon as they left the room.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm

Estonut wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:22 pm
I doubt there's a single medical professional who "routinely wore a mask all day before the pandemic." They wore them to maintain a sterile field, but removed them as soon as they left the room.
The "as soon as they left the room" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Many health care professionals worked closely with patients with infectious diseases for hours at a time. And surgery often takes several hours. So, while they weren't wearing masks non-stop on an 8-hour (or longer shift), they also weren't taking them off every couple of minutes either.

And let's also not forget many people in Japan, China, and other countries who wore routinely wore masks in public before the pandemic without reports of harmful effects.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#31 Post by Estonut » Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm
Estonut wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:22 pm
The "as soon as they left the room" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Many health care professionals worked closely with patients with infectious diseases for hours at a time. And surgery often takes several hours. So, while they weren't wearing masks non-stop on an 8-hour (or longer shift), they also weren't taking them off every couple of minutes either.
So you agree that your original assertion was wrong. All day means all day.
Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm
And let's also not forget many people in Japan, China, and other countries who wore routinely wore masks in public before the pandemic without reports of harmful effects.
China is so good at self-reporting adverse news...
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 20, 2021 12:00 am

Estonut wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm
No, "all day" doesn't necessarily mean constantly every minute of the day. You can say that somebody watches television all day, but that doesn't mean that his eyes are glued to the set without bathroom or meal breaks for eight hours or more. The definition in dictionary.com is: "taking up, extending through, lasting for, or occurring continually during a day, especially the hours of daylight; daylong" Note that it says continually, not continuously. Adopting your definition, few if any activities would be "all day." And while the Chinese aren't very open about what goes on, health records in Japan are a lot more accessible.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#33 Post by Estonut » Thu May 20, 2021 5:59 am

Thu May 20, 2021 12:00 am
Estonut wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm
No, "all day" doesn't necessarily mean constantly every minute of the day. You can say that somebody watches television all day, but that doesn't mean that his eyes are glued to the set without bathroom or meal breaks for eight hours or more. The definition in dictionary.com is: "taking up, extending through, lasting for, or occurring continually during a day, especially the hours of daylight; daylong" Note that it says continually, not continuously. Adopting your definition, few if any activities would be "all day." And while the Chinese aren't very open about what goes on, health records in Japan are a lot more accessible.
The second definition for "continually" in dictionary.com is: "without cessation or intermission; unceasingly; always." Of course, you know which one they meant...
Groucho Marx