CDC Drops Mask Requirements for Vaccinated People

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

CDC Drops Mask Requirements for Vaccinated People

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 13, 2021 1:06 pm

The CDC has now issued new guidelines that people who are fully vaccinated do not have to wear masks indoors or maintain physical distance with certain exceptions (immune compromised, those showing COVID symptoms, and while traveling). Where state and local ordinances or store policies still require masks, people must still comply. Fully vaccinated people also do not have to be tested following exposure unless they are residents or employees of a correctional or detention facility or homeless shelter. The CDC recommends that those who have not been vaccinated do so as soon as possible and continue to wear masks until then. (Somehow I doubt many of those who refuse to get vaccinated will follow this last guideline.)

It remains to be seen how much longer businesses will keep mask mandates in place or distancing customers in theater or restaurant settings. (None of the movies we've been to have had enough people in the showings we've attended where social distancing could possibly have been a problem.)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

triviawayne

Re: CDC Drops Mask Requirements for Vaccinated People

#2 Post by triviawayne » Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Considering there is no way to know who is and who is not vaccinated this seems a little early

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm
Considering there is no way to know who is and who is not vaccinated this seems a little early
CDC guidelines are just that -- guidelines that don't have the force of law. State and local governments, of course, often look to CDC guidance to decide what the law should be. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Thu May 13, 2021 5:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:06 pm
The CDC has now issued new guidelines that people who are fully vaccinated do not have to wear masks indoors or maintain physical distance with certain exceptions (immune compromised, those showing COVID symptoms, and while traveling). Where state and local ordinances or store policies still require masks, people must still comply. Fully vaccinated people also do not have to be tested following exposure unless they are residents or employees of a correctional or detention facility or homeless shelter. The CDC recommends that those who have not been vaccinated do so as soon as possible and continue to wear masks until then. (Somehow I doubt many of those who refuse to get vaccinated will follow this last guideline.)

It remains to be seen how much longer businesses will keep mask mandates in place or distancing customers in theater or restaurant settings. (None of the movies we've been to have had enough people in the showings we've attended where social distancing could possibly have been a problem.)

So basically the exact same rules that I have been following since March 2020.

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Thu May 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:40 pm
Thu May 13, 2021 1:06 pm

I would like to add for those who think me a bit flippant-that when TPTB shut down the small locally owned bookstore (for example) but kept the Walmarts open with no limits on attendance-I decided their "Guidelines" weren't worth a bucket of warm piss.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm
How absolutely terrifying!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:40 pm
As did several hundred thousand of your fellow Americans who aren't around to tell their story any more.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 14, 2021 9:55 am

Now I need another way to keep people from thinking I'm a Republican.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:55 am
Wal-Mart (and Sam's Club), Costco, and Trader Joes have dropped mask requirements except where required by local mandates.

On a personal note, Mrs. SSS and I dined indoors last night for the first time in a year. It was an upscale Mexican restaurant that was fairly spacious, seemed to have good ventilation, and not very crowded so we could get some decent separation from fellow diners. I'm still not willing to go into a crowded bar or similar venue, regardless of who may or may not be wearing a mask. And before dinner, we went to a movie where we were the only people in the auditorium.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 pm

Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am
I'm still not willing to go into a crowded bar or similar venue, regardless of who may or may not be wearing a mask.
Aren't you vaccinated? If so, you apparently don't hold the CDC up as being so authoritative when it conflicts with what you believe. Just like Spock.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 16, 2021 9:24 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 pm
I'm still not willing to go into a crowded bar or similar venue, regardless of who may or may not be wearing a mask.
Aren't you vaccinated? If so, you apparently don't hold the CDC up as being so authoritative when it conflicts with what you believe. Just like Spock.
You may be right. I also would feel uncomfortable in the current environment in such a crowd, and I see no need to eat or drink under such conditions. And if I'm wrong, I miss out on having a couple of beers in a crowded bar. If Spock's wrong, ...

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 17, 2021 6:59 am

Sun May 16, 2021 9:24 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 pm
You may be right. I also would feel uncomfortable in the current environment in such a crowd, and I see no need to eat or drink under such conditions. And if I'm wrong, I miss out on having a couple of beers in a crowded bar. If Spock's wrong, ...
This is all about living vs staying alive. You won't miss out on a couple of beers. You can have those at home. You will miss out on life. But it's a personal choice. I'm just surprised you held the CDC up as the standard and yet now you hold yourself up as that standard while chiding Spock for doing the same thing.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Mon May 17, 2021 8:19 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wal-Mart (and Sam's Club), Costco, and Trader Joes have dropped mask requirements except where required by local mandates.

On a personal note, Mrs. SSS and I dined indoors last night for the first time in a year. It was an upscale Mexican restaurant that was fairly spacious, seemed to have good ventilation, and not very crowded so we could get some decent separation from fellow diners. I'm still not willing to go into a crowded bar or similar venue, regardless of who may or may not be wearing a mask. And before dinner, we went to a movie where we were the only people in the auditorium.
What kind of "upscale" restaurant offers coupons?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am

Estonut wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:19 am
Bob Juch wrote:

The kind I go to.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:18 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

In my area, Fogo do Chao and Flemings, among others. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 17, 2021 10:04 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:18 am
Estonut wrote:
Fogo de Chao is kind of a Golden Corral where they carve the meat at your table and charge you five times as much for a meal.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Mon May 17, 2021 10:04 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
In my area, Fogo do Chao and Flemings, among others.
Fogo de Chao is kind of a Golden Corral where they carve the meat at your table and charge you five times as much for a meal.
Yes, one of those "upscale" buffets...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
It's a Brazillian rodízio restaurant. I've eaten at the one in Las Vegas. It was good, but the similar one in the Planet Hollywood Miracle Mile was better. The one n the Mirage used to be good, but the last time I went there, it was terrible.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:57 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
It's a Brazillian rodízio restaurant. I've eaten at the one in Las Vegas. It was good, but the similar one in the Planet Hollywood Miracle Mile was better. The one in the Mirage used to be good, but the last time I went there, it was terrible.
The one at Planet Hollywood takes Groupon.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Today I went grocery shopping for the first time since the new CDC guidelines were announced. There are two major grocery chains in Atlanta: Kroger and Publix. Kroger still has a mask mandate in place, with signs at the door. Masks are no longer required at Publix for fully vaccinated customers, although the old signs were still on the doors. Everyone I saw at Kroger was wearing masks. At Publix, two employees, one of them an older woman who was a cashier, did not have masks. She was standing behind the plexiglass shield that they still have in place at the checkout line. About five customers did not have masks, but the vast majority (including me) were still wearing them.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
We ate at Fogo in Houston back in the day. The Woodlands one closed. Kinda agree on the Golden Corral analogy...also Flemings is here in The Woodlands. Not THAT upscale...
Well, then

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm

Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm
About five customers did not have masks, but the vast majority (including me) were still wearing them.
Why? I thought you were all about "follow the science". While I'm sure the public appreciates not having to see your ugly mug ( :P ), the science and the CDC says a mask is of no use to you. And science also says wearing a mask when not needed is harmful as you are breathing in dirty air your body is designed to expel.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:36 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:57 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
It's a Brazillian rodízio restaurant. I've eaten at the one in Las Vegas. It was good, but the similar one in the Planet Hollywood Miracle Mile was better. The one n the Mirage used to be good, but the last time I went there, it was terrible.
We had one of those here; I planned to take my carnivorous son for his birthday, but it got shut down before I could when the owner was arrested for sex assault against members of his staff.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 19, 2021 3:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm
About five customers did not have masks, but the vast majority (including me) were still wearing them.
Why? I thought you were all about "follow the science". While I'm sure the public appreciates not having to see your ugly mug ( :P ), the science and the CDC says a mask is of no use to you. And science also says wearing a mask when not needed is harmful as you are breathing in dirty air your body is designed to expel.
First, there is no "science" that says that wearing a mask is harmful. People in medical settings routinely wore masks all day before the pandemic. Second, wearing the mask isn't "of no use to you," although for someone in my situation, it's only minimally helpful. But the reason I was wearing the mask in Publix (and I think why many others were still wearing masks) was to try to keep everyone at ease while shopping there.

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Wed May 19, 2021 3:34 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm
First, there is no "science" that says that wearing a mask is harmful. People in medical settings routinely wore masks all day before the pandemic. Second, wearing the mask isn't "of no use to you," although for someone in my situation, it's only minimally helpful. But the reason I was wearing the mask in Publix (and I think why many others were still wearing masks) was to try to keep everyone at ease while shopping there.
Keeping them at ease by continuing to tell them there is something to fear?
~~ Thomas Jefferson