Incompetence may have spread the fear

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: Incompetence may have spread the fear

#26 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 am

Estonut wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:57 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:18 am
Estonut wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:28 am
I don't believe any infected bat, nor any other infected animal, was ever found.
You need a new belief system.
OK. Please cite all reports you've seen of animals infected with COVID-19 in the proper time-frame.
I have much better things to do.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#27 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:31 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:18 am
You need a new belief system.
OK. Please cite all reports you've seen of animals infected with COVID-19 in the proper time-frame.
Like making postulations without any basis, logic, facts or intelligence?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:31 am

Estonut wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:31 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 am
Estonut wrote:
Like making postulations without any basis, logic, facts or intelligence?
Bingo!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:27 pm

A scientist adventurer and China’s ‘Bat Woman’ are under scrutiny as coronavirus lab-leak theory gets another look

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:27 pm
A scientist adventurer and China’s ‘Bat Woman’ are under scrutiny as coronavirus lab-leak theory gets another look

I'm not sure how this happened, but I followed Bob's link because you always get a few free articles from the Post at the start of every month. When I did, they offered me a free one-year digital subscription, sponsored by Barbie. All I had to give them was my e-mail address. I'm not sure if Bob was responsible for this, if so thanks, or this was just some random occurrence.

Freebies tend to find me, wherever I go.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#31 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

I'm not sure how this happened, but I followed Bob's link because you always get a few free articles from the Post at the start of every month. When I did, they offered me a free one-year digital subscription, sponsored by Barbie. All I had to give them was my e-mail address. I'm not sure if Bob was responsible for this, if so thanks, or this was just some random occurrence.

Nope, must be random or an offer for anyone. I pay for a subscription.

earendel

#32 Post by earendel » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:27 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

Nope, must be random or an offer for anyone. I pay for a subscription.
I have a free subscription - after a dust-up between Donald Trump and Jeff Bezos, Bezos offered a free WP subscription to anyone with a government or military email address.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#33 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:02 am

earendel wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:27 am

I have a free subscription - after a dust-up between Donald Trump and Jeff Bezos, Bezos offered a free WP subscription to anyone with a government or military email address.
At one time, Amazon Prime members got a six-month free digital subscription to the Post, but it's now one month with a 99 cent a month offer for the next three months. The permanent rate for Prime members is currently $5.99 a month.

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:50 pm

In Maryland, every person who died of Covid-19 in June was unvaccinated.
Last month, 130 people died of Covid-19 in Maryland. None of them were vaccinated, according to Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan. In addition, unvaccinated people made up 95% of new Covid-19 cases in the state and 93% of new Covid-19 hospitalizations, Hogan said at a news conference Wednesday.

The connection between vaccination status and Covid-19 is not specific to Maryland and is not limited to last month, medical experts have said. Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, said Maryland's data is a trend that will be seen in states across the country.
"No question that almost all of the deaths and hospitalizations will be in unvaccinated individuals, and therefore we should expect most of severe illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths will occur predominantly in areas of low vaccination and high Delta," such as in the South and Mountain West, he said.

"So far it's confirming what we saw with Phase 3 clinical trials: That all of the vaccines authorized for emergency use give extra protection against hospitalizations and deaths, so this has been confirmed now in very practical settings over the past year," Hotez added. "It's a reminder that you have every reason to get vaccinated."

In addition, unvaccinated people made up 95% of new Covid-19 cases in the state and 93% of new Covid-19 hospitalizations, Hogan said at a news conference Wednesday. The connection between vaccination status and Covid-19 is not specific to Maryland and is not limited to last month, medical experts have said.
Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, said Maryland's data is a trend that will be seen in states across the country. "No question that almost all of the deaths and hospitalizations will be in unvaccinated individuals, and therefore we should expect most of severe illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths will occur predominantly in areas of low vaccination and high Delta," such as in the South and Mountain West, he said.
By the way, Governor Hogan of Maryland is a Republican, one of what used to be the sensible moderate Republicans and now seem to be an ever decreasing number. On the other hand, the Republican believers in junk science and conspiracy theories are also decreasing, although not for the same reason.

Spock

#35 Post by Spock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:50 pm
In Maryland, every person who died of Covid-19 in June was unvaccinated.
Last month, 130 people died of Covid-19 in Maryland. None of them were vaccinated, according to Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan. In addition, unvaccinated people made up 95% of new Covid-19 cases in the state and 93% of new Covid-19 hospitalizations, Hogan said at a news conference Wednesday.

The connection between vaccination status and Covid-19 is not specific to Maryland and is not limited to last month, medical experts have said. Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, said Maryland's data is a trend that will be seen in states across the country.
"No question that almost all of the deaths and hospitalizations will be in unvaccinated individuals, and therefore we should expect most of severe illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths will occur predominantly in areas of low vaccination and high Delta," such as in the South and Mountain West, he said.

"So far it's confirming what we saw with Phase 3 clinical trials: That all of the vaccines authorized for emergency use give extra protection against hospitalizations and deaths, so this has been confirmed now in very practical settings over the past year," Hotez added. "It's a reminder that you have every reason to get vaccinated."

In addition, unvaccinated people made up 95% of new Covid-19 cases in the state and 93% of new Covid-19 hospitalizations, Hogan said at a news conference Wednesday. The connection between vaccination status and Covid-19 is not specific to Maryland and is not limited to last month, medical experts have said.
Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, said Maryland's data is a trend that will be seen in states across the country. "No question that almost all of the deaths and hospitalizations will be in unvaccinated individuals, and therefore we should expect most of severe illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths will occur predominantly in areas of low vaccination and high Delta," such as in the South and Mountain West, he said.
By the way, Governor Hogan of Maryland is a Republican, one of what used to be the sensible moderate Republicans and now seem to be an ever decreasing number. On the other hand, the Republican believers in junk science and conspiracy theories are also decreasing, although not for the same reason.
I would not automatically assume that the unvaccinated cases in Maryland are all Republican mouth breathers. After all, Maryland has a fairly large percentage of African Americans who tend to have a lower vaccination rate than the general public. A large number of the new cases might be unvaccinated Democrat voting African Americans in Maryland.

Some granularity in that direction would be nice.

I also love how people tend to forget about the large African American population in places like Mississippi and so forth. Unvaccinated in the south does not necessarily mean Republican.

Some of their hesitancy may be justified from things like the Tuskegee Syphilis thing.

silverscreenselect

#36 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:08 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:28 pm
I also love how people tend to forget about the large African American population in places like Mississippi and so forth. Unvaccinated in the south does not necessarily mean Republican.

Some of their hesitancy may be justified from things like the Tuskegee Syphilis thing.
The current vaccination efforts are directed towards those who are hesitant. Ignorance can be overcome with information. Willful stupidity cannot.
Americans who say they will definitely not get vaccinated against COVID-19 are overwhelmingly white and Republican, according to polling by the Kaiser Family Foundation. Meanwhile, the group that plans to wait and watch for problems is disproportionately Black and Hispanic.

While about one-third of Americans have not been immunized against COVID-19, their reasons and intentions break down largely along racial and political lines. Only 14% of Americans say they will definitely not get vaccinated. But this group is 69% white, compared with 7% Black and 12% Hispanic. Republicans make up 58% of this group, while Democrats account for 18%.

On the other hand, KFF polling found that 10% of respondents said that they would "wait and see" before getting the shots. The "wait and see" group is disproportionately Black (18%) and Hispanic (22%), compared with the "definitely not" group, where they make up 7% and 12%, respectively. While the "definitely not" group is basically unchanged, the "wait and see" group has shrunk to a quarter of the size it was when vaccines began rolling out in December, as more and more people have gotten their shots.
https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandem ... vaccinated