Pujols

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Pujols

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:44 pm

Well, then

mrkelley23

Re: Pujols

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 pm

It will be interesting to see if this allows him to take a curtain call of sorts with the Cards. IIRC, he's got a personal services clause in his contract, which binds him to the Angels for another 10 years after this one.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 pm
It will be interesting to see if this allows him to take a curtain call of sorts with the Cards. IIRC, he's got a personal services clause in his contract, which binds him to the Angels for another 10 years after this one.
Is that like for PR etc?
Well, then

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:29 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Is that like for PR etc?
Yeah, that's my understanding, although it's been ten years since I did any thinking about it. I was really sad when he left, but I knew the Cards would never pay him what he could get on the open market. I was just hoping the difference would be small enough he might stay. But when I heard the amount, I said Godpseed, and wondered what kind of drugs the Angels owner was on.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:29 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Is that like for PR etc?
Yeah, that's my understanding, although it's been ten years since I did any thinking about it. I was really sad when he left, but I knew the Cards would never pay him what he could get on the open market. I was just hoping the difference would be small enough he might stay. But when I heard the amount, I said Godpseed, and wondered what kind of drugs the Angels owner was on.
Everyone knew that contract was going to be an overpay (Actually, paying for his production with the Cards, since that's how baseball free agency works)... but it couldn't have turned out worse for the Angels.

One playoff appearance in those 10 years, an LDS sweep, despite being backed by one of the greatest players of all time in center during that same timespan...

Pujols never approached the value he gave the Cards in any of his five decent seasons with the Angels... then utterly fell off a cliff the final five years....

...Which nullified any chance the Angels might extract alternative value from the contract by Pujols chasing the homerun record in those latter years, which was a realistic possibility when he signed the deal.

I honestly thought they'd cut bait on him after their series they placed in St. Louis in 2019. He has a ghastly cumulative negative WAR over the past five years, and that contract's been a sunk cost for a long time....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Miguel Cabrera is on the same train in Detroit. He's currently hitting .098, 6-for-61, with a .179 OBP.

I see no reason to keep throwing him out there.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Mon May 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Pujols has signed with the Dodgers.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/314 ... ources-say
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster