I think Angel Hernandez...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

I think Angel Hernandez...

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm

...forgot that it's impossible to balk to second base. The only possibility is that he was somehow saying Singer made a move toward first base.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

Re: I think Angel Hernandez...

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm
...forgot that it's impossible to balk to second base. The only possibility is that he was somehow saying Singer made a move toward first base.
I disagree. He made a move towards home, then turned to throw. I don't know if the leg twitch prior to the quick step towards home would count. It seems it should as the balk is supposed to be "an illegal motion on the mound that the umpire deems to be deceitful to the runner(s)." The leg twitch just prior to him stepping towards home is deceitful. But his left leg clearly left the ground towards home plate and then he planted on it in front of where it was previously positioned before turning around.

The rule says "At any time during the pitcher’s preliminary movements and until his natural pitching motion commits him to the pitch, he may throw to any base provided he steps directly toward such base before making the throw. " He did not step directly towards second. He stepped towards home.

Good call.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 pm
Good call.
Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Hernandez is, as a rule, infuriatingly bad. Also quick tempered, exceedingly arrogant, and seemingly in love with the idea of the game being about him. He should've been fired long ago.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm
I disagree. He made a move towards home, then turned to throw. I don't know if the leg twitch prior to the quick step towards home would count. It seems it should as the balk is supposed to be "an illegal motion on the mound that the umpire deems to be deceitful to the runner(s)." The leg twitch just prior to him stepping towards home is deceitful. But his left leg clearly left the ground towards home plate and then he planted on it in front of where it was previously positioned before turning around.

The rule says "At any time during the pitcher’s preliminary movements and until his natural pitching motion commits him to the pitch, he may throw to any base provided he steps directly toward such base before making the throw. " He did not step directly towards second. He stepped towards home.

Good call.
The leg twitch is the only thing that could lead to a balk call. The jump turn he executed on making the throw to second is standard baseball stuff. He does step directly toward second, at least within the bounds of interpretation of the rule, which gives pitchers almost 40 degrees of leeway. Watch his feet. After the twitch (which I do agree could be called a balk), he jumps, and the next place his left foot comes down is toward second.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

CB Bucknor
Merry Man

#5 Post by CB Bucknor » Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm
Hernandez is, as a rule, infuriatingly bad. Also quick tempered, exceedingly arrogant, and seemingly in love with the idea of the game being about him. He should've been fired long ago.

Flattery will get you everywhere, Bonehead! And those bouquets for my man Angel are gonna get you straight to the showers.....

(multiple arm gyrations and dance moves later)

YEROUTTAHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr outta here!!!!!!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:02 pm

Umpire Ángel Hernández Finishes Regular Season With Worst Rating in MLB

As expected, Ángel Hernández finished the 2023 regular season as the lowest-rated umpire in baseball.

Umpire Auditor, which tracks missed calls in each game throughout the season, reported that Hernández racked up 161 bad calls in 10 games this season. Alongside their announcement that Hernández had the worst season of any umpire in the league, Umpire Auditor attached a thread of his worst moments of the year.

The 62-year-old Hernández missed over half of the 2023 season due to back surgery, eventually going on a minor league rehab assignment in July to get readjusted to the game following his extended absence. Ironically, he made headlines for his inconsistent and poor calls in Triple-A, as well as upon his return to the big leagues.

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastba ... ing-in-mlb
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster