Board Membership

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Board Membership

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 am

Not to be confused with Bored membership. Anyone here ever served on a "Board?"
I've been appointed to my first one, and not sure what to expect; have to travel to Helena next month for my first meeting.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

Re: Board Membership

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 am
I've been appointed to my first one, and not sure what to expect; have to travel to Helena next month for my first meeting.
I've been on several, both volunteers and corporate.

What they all had in common that most members stay quiet, and there are one or two members who aren't the chairperson who will be outspoken and won't necessarily agree with the others.

They're a good study in group dynamics.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 am

BobJ is right. Also I worked for boards for 15 years, attended all meetings, etc. Is this a public sector board or private?
Well, then

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:08 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 am
BobJ is right. Also I worked for boards for 15 years, attended all meetings, etc. Is this a public sector board or private?
Montana Public Employees Retirement Board
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 am
tlynn78 wrote:
I've been on several, both volunteers and corporate.

What they all had in common that most members stay quiet, and there are one or two members who aren't the chairperson who will be outspoken and won't necessarily agree with the others.

They're a good study in group dynamics.
Sounds about what I expected.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:01 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:08 am
Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 am
Montana Public Employees Retirement Board
Assume Montana has open meetings laws so there will be restrictions, timing of posting, speaking, quorums and all that happy crap.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 pm

IMHO, the worst thing that can happen is that you get one or two people on the board who love to hear themselves talk whether or not they actually have anything germane to contribute. Generally speaking, people who end up on boards are well-meaning and knowledgeable and want to make a difference for the better. May all your members be among the latter without the deleterious effects of the former.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:26 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
I think the key question that will determine the quality of your experience is whether you receive enough information far enough in advance of the meeting that you're comfortable you are able to make informed decisions. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:26 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 pm
IMHO, the worst thing that can happen is that you get one or two people on the board who love to hear themselves talk whether or not they actually have anything germane to contribute. Generally speaking, people who end up on boards are well-meaning and knowledgeable and want to make a difference for the better. May all your members be among the latter without the deleterious effects of the former.
From your lips... I'd even take the former if the latter prevails.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:28 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Or those who like to talk and haven't read any material provided in advance.
"Board guy"- Load this for me (5 min before meeting)
"Me"- Sure (you fuckwit, silently but just)
Well, then

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:28 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
I'll try not to be that person. Apparently I'm getting an admin assistant and a laptop.

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:28 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
I'll try not to be that person. Apparently I'm getting an admin assistant and a laptop.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Try to avoid repeating yourself there. :)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:57 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 pm
lol, maybe I AM that person who likes to hear herself talk...

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:19 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:57 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 pm
lol, maybe I AM that person who likes to hear herself talk...
As long as you read the junk...
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:25 pm

Also hope you have a chair strong enough to cut off peeps who go on tangents unrelated to agenda items which ya can't do in public meetings. Tho I'm pretty sure you know all that anyway. Do you know any of the board?
Well, then

tlynn78

#17 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:25 pm
Also hope you have a chair strong enough to cut off peeps who go on tangents unrelated to agenda items which ya can't do in public meetings. Tho I'm pretty sure you know all that anyway. Do you know any of the board?
Not yet, most of us are newly appointed by the new Gov.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Agree wholeheartedly with this observation about a strong chair.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Spock

#19 Post by Spock » Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 pm

Congrats on becoming a Montana TPTB. With Montana getting a second House seat the sky is the limit. House? Senate? Governor? Dare I say President?

I am getting visions of TGirl using the office similar to the way that John Dutton (Kevin Costner) in Yellowstone uses the Montana Livestock Commission Board thingie that he is on to work his will behind the scenes.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
And resist the temptation to bash someone over the head with it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#21 Post by tlynn78 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

Spock wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 pm
Congrats on becoming a Montana TPTB. With Montana getting a second House seat the sky is the limit. House? Senate? Governor? Dare I say President?

I am getting visions of TGirl using the office similar to the way that John Dutton (Kevin Costner) in Yellowstone uses the Montana Livestock Commission Board thingie that he is on to work his will behind the scenes.
LOL! I have not watched a single episode of that show yet.
t

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Word.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:

Word.
Or throw a laptop.
Well, then

wbtravis007

#24 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:16 am

Congratulations! Sounds like quite an honor.

Don’t forget to employ your trusty go-to when you disagree with somebody and want to disparage them but don’t want to address whatever their point is — the old guffawing with the strength of 3-5 ordinary men.

Never gets old! And is sure to earn everybody’s respect.

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 08, 2021 11:52 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am
Spock wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 pm

LOL! I have not watched a single episode of that show yet.
t
You're probably more of a Big Sky person.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com