Board Membership

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: Board Membership

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:16 am
Congratulations! Sounds like quite an honor.

Don’t forget to employ your trusty go-to when you disagree with somebody and want to disparage them but don’t want to address whatever their point is — the old guffawing with the strength of 3-5 ordinary men.

Never gets old! And is sure to earn everybody’s respect.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#27 Post by tlynn78 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:06 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:52 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am
Spock wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 pm
Congrats on becoming a Montana TPTB. With Montana getting a second House seat the sky is the limit. House? Senate? Governor? Dare I say President?

I am getting visions of TGirl using the office similar to the way that John Dutton (Kevin Costner) in Yellowstone uses the Montana Livestock Commission Board thingie that he is on to work his will behind the scenes.
LOL! I have not watched a single episode of that show yet.
t
You're probably more of a Big Sky person.
Not that one, either. Yet. At this point I think maybe I'll watch TV when I retire. Someday.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#28 Post by Spock » Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:06 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

LOL! I have not watched a single episode of that show yet.
t
Not that one, either. Yet. At this point I think maybe I'll watch TV when I retire. Someday.
I think Yellowstone is probably the first "TV" show I have really made sure to watch in years.

I am down to the last 2 seasons of Big Bang Theory to catch up on and I finished "The Americans" over the winter.

Slowly starting a watch on "Parks and Recreation."

Bob Juch

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm
tlynn78 wrote:

I think Yellowstone is probably the first "TV" show I have really made sure to watch in years.

I am down to the last 2 seasons of Big Bang Theory to catch up on and I finished "The Americans" over the winter.

My friend, Jaida Dreyer, wrote and sang "The Killer" from season 2, episode 6.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#30 Post by tlynn78 » Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 pm
Spock wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm
tlynn78 wrote:

My friend, Jaida Dreyer, wrote and sang "The Killer" from season 2, episode 6.

I need to make an effort to catch that one

lilclyde54

#31 Post by lilclyde54 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 am

Congratulations. I was on the Executive Board of the MS Counseling Assc. for about a decade and it was a great experience. We all came from similar backgrounds and had mostly similar goals for MCA so our most aggravating thing was usually that one person who always had one more question or point to make when our chairman was trying to conclude the meeting.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

tlynn78

#32 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:36 pm

lilclyde54 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 am
Congratulations. I was on the Executive Board of the MS Counseling Assc. for about a decade and it was a great experience. We all came from similar backgrounds and had mostly similar goals for MCA so our most aggravating thing was usually that one person who always had one more question or point to make when our chairman was trying to conclude the meeting.
Good info! I'm hoping my experience is similar. We certainly will all have a vested interest in the health of Montana's Public Employee Retirement System, so there's that.

wbtravis007

#33 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:06 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

Don’t forget to employ your trusty go-to when you disagree with somebody and want to disparage them but don’t want to address whatever their point is — the old guffawing with the strength of 3-5 ordinary men.

Pretty sure that Dale Carnegie was kind of big on the importance of paying compliments when the opportunity presents itself and wishing people well as well, so I think you’re on really good ground when it comes to the well bless your sweet heart track as far as winning friends and influencing people and stuff.

For some reason I have in my head that Sprots is kind of an expert on Dale Carnegie. If I’m right about that, she might correct me on this if she sees it. Otherwise, I’m thinking that the Montana Sky is the limit here!

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm

A personal note on retirement boards.

In 2013, the company I worked for sent me to a training class at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania on pension plan investment. It was designed to provide guidance for those who administered pension plans in determining what sort of investments to make. By 2013, most of the entities that still offered defined benefit pensions were governmental bodies (we actually had people from Guam there). Most of the people at the class were non-industry board members like TGirl who were trying to get a better idea of just what they would be asked to vote for at these various meetings in terms of investment strategies and choices.

It was a three-day class, with a fairly easy exam at the end which got me some sort of certificate. They had the most lavish spreads I've ever seen for breakfast and lunch each day (we didn't get dinner unfortunately). And they threw an open-bar get together the night before the class started at one of the hotels where people were staying. Of course, it wasn't cheap. The cost was somewhere in the $4-5000 range. I tried to argue that we didn't really need to send anyone to this, but they basically said that the money had been budgeted, so I went.

The main thing I took away from the class was that retirement boards and other pension funds invest entirely differently than insurance companies do. To fund life insurance policies and fixed annuities, insurance companies invest almost exclusively in bonds and other fixed interest rate products. Stocks and alternative investments make up only a small portion of the portfolios. On the other hand, pension funds invest heavily in stocks, because they count on higher annual yields than you can get in bonds. That's all good when the stock market is going well, and it even allows the company to cut back on the contributions it makes to the pension fund, but when the market hits the skids, or even just flattens for an extended period of time, that's when the private funds sometimes go belly up. And that's one reason why we don't have many private defined benefit pension plans left.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#35 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 am

Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm
They had the most lavish spreads I've ever seen for breakfast and lunch each day (we didn't get dinner unfortunately).
I hope you explored the great dining choices in Philly. When I loved there for eight months, I would have gained 20 pounds if I hadn't walked everywhere.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#36 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:28 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:06 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Pretty sure that Dale Carnegie was kind of big on the importance of paying compliments when the opportunity presents itself and wishing people well as well, so I think you’re on really good ground when it comes to the well bless your sweet heart track as far as winning friends and influencing people and stuff.

For some reason I have in my head that Sprots is kind of an expert on Dale Carnegie. If I’m right about that, she might correct me on this if she sees it. Otherwise, I’m thinking that the Montana Sky is the limit here!
Thanks, WB, but my background in that regard draws from Toastmasters, not Dale Carnegie. The two systems do overlap a bit. For example, when my younger brother took a Dale Carnegie course, one of his assignments was to write and deliver an original speech about leadership. And Toastmasters definitely tries to help you chart a course to influence people.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#37 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 am
When I loved there for eight months, I would have gained 20 pounds if I hadn't walked everywhere.
Eight months of loving. That must have helped keep the weight off as well.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

wbtravis007

#38 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:29 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:28 am
wbtravis007 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Thanks, WB, but my background in that regard draws from Toastmasters, not Dale Carnegie. The two systems do overlap a bit. For example, when my younger brother took a Dale Carnegie course, one of his assignments was to write and deliver an original speech about leadership. And Toastmasters definitely tries to help you chart a course to influence people.
I was thinking that one of your Toastmasters speeches had something to do with him.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#39 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Pretty sure Tgirl is capable of distinguishing non relevant message board snark from actual deliberation of important matters.
You have some weird butt heart about bless your heart. Proctologist needed here.
Well, then

wbtravis007

#40 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Pretty sure Tgirl is capable of distinguishing non relevant message board snark from actual deliberation of important matters.
You have some weird butt heart about bless your heart. Proctologist needed here.

I don’t even know what that means and am not gonna worry my pretty little head trying to figure it out.

I’m not trying to suggest that she’s not capable of responding to someone with whom she disagrees in a mature manner, though, if that’s what you mean.

tlynn78

#41 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:04 pm

Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm
A personal note on retirement boards.

In 2013, the company I worked for sent me to a training class at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania on pension plan investment. It was designed to provide guidance for those who administered pension plans in determining what sort of investments to make. By 2013, most of the entities that still offered defined benefit pensions were governmental bodies (we actually had people from Guam there). Most of the people at the class were non-industry board members like TGirl who were trying to get a better idea of just what they would be asked to vote for at these various meetings in terms of investment strategies and choices.

It was a three-day class, with a fairly easy exam at the end which got me some sort of certificate. They had the most lavish spreads I've ever seen for breakfast and lunch each day (we didn't get dinner unfortunately). And they threw an open-bar get together the night before the class started at one of the hotels where people were staying. Of course, it wasn't cheap. The cost was somewhere in the $4-5000 range. I tried to argue that we didn't really need to send anyone to this, but they basically said that the money had been budgeted, so I went.

The main thing I took away from the class was that retirement boards and other pension funds invest entirely differently than insurance companies do. To fund life insurance policies and fixed annuities, insurance companies invest almost exclusively in bonds and other fixed interest rate products. Stocks and alternative investments make up only a small portion of the portfolios. On the other hand, pension funds invest heavily in stocks, because they count on higher annual yields than you can get in bonds. That's all good when the stock market is going well, and it even allows the company to cut back on the contributions it makes to the pension fund, but when the market hits the skids, or even just flattens for an extended period of time, that's when the private funds sometimes go belly up. And that's one reason why we don't have many private defined benefit pension plans left.
Interesting.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#42 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:54 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

I don’t even know what that means and am not gonna worry my pretty little head trying to figure it out.

I’m not trying to suggest that she’s not capable of responding to someone with whom she disagrees in a mature manner, though, if that’s what you mean.
Dude, really. I'm not on a board and can call out your bs snarkily. Plus, it's stupid.
Well, then

tlynn78

#43 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:23 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Dude, really. I'm not on a board and can call out your bs snarkily. Plus, it's stupid.
There is that.

wbtravis007

#44 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:23 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

There is that.

There is what?

I tell ya ... y’all are either talking in some kind of code or y’all are just way over my head, because I can’t make any sense out of it. That’s ok. Never mind.

And this is no big deal or anything, but just so you’ll know, I don’t identify as a dude

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#45 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:23 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

There is that.

There is what?

I tell ya ... y’all are either talking in some kind of code or y’all are just way over my head, because I can’t make any sense out of it. That’s ok. Never mind.

And this is no big deal or anything, but just so you’ll know, I don’t identify as a dude
Hey nonbinary peep your faux naivete is unbecoming to one so socially aware. :)
Well, then