What's going on here?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

What's going on here?

#1 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 05, 2021 8:39 am

This is one of those things that make you go..."What the ?"

The picture is an official release from the Carter Library, but looks photoshopped because the Bidens look enormous next to the Carters. Joe is further back that Jimmy and still Jimmy looks too small, so it is not just a cheap lens distorting object size due to relative distance.

Do you think it is photoshopped, and if so, why would they do it? If not, are the Bidens really that large compared to the Carters (and the mini-child chairs they are sitting in)?

The second thing is the Bidens not wearing a mask, yet making sure they have one as they leave the building going outside. I do not have an issue with them not wearing masks as all four of them have been vaccinated, but then to put them on as they leave the building, well, that's as absurd as wearing a mask on a zoom call.

The no mask thing makes me think the picture is photoshopped, that all parties were masked during the visit but they wanted a "clean" photo to commemorate the event. If so....fail.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

Re: What's going on here?

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am

Definitely a weird photo. Biden truly looks 'shopped. Mr. Carter's feet look huge, that could be a weird camera angle thing. Mrs. Carter was always tiny, and surely has shrunk as she's aged. Also weird that Mrs. Biden looks far less 'shopped than the President. Prolly not the strangest thing we'll see in the next three years, 7 and a half months.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am
Definitely a weird photo. Biden truly looks 'shopped. Mr. Carter's feet look huge, that could be a weird camera angle thing. Mrs. Carter was always tiny, and surely has shrunk as she's aged. Also weird that Mrs. Biden looks far less 'shopped than the President. Prolly not the strangest thing we'll see in the next three years, 7 and a half months.
I didn't notice Carter's feet, but you're right. This sort of confirms the cheap lens theory and the picture has not been modified.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 05, 2021 10:00 am

I took thousands of photos in my younger years. I've never had one that looks that strange.

The only explanation I can think of is that a long lens was used.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Wed May 05, 2021 10:22 am

Canon’s website offers an explanation:

On images shot with a wide-angle lens, perspective appears to be exaggerated: Nearby objects may look much bigger (and hence nearer) than they really are, and faraway objects look even smaller and further away. This effect also amplifies distances between objects, i.e., things look further away from each other. The shorter the focal length, the bigger the perspective exaggeration effect. The perspective exaggeration effect is why wide-angle lenses are not ideal for shooting portraits or any other subject where it is important for the shape of the subject to be faithfully captured.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:54 am

What Vandal found, in addition to the use of a very bright flash. Shadows help the human brain establish perspective, and the lack of any shadows makes the forced perspective even worse. Very poor decisions by the photographer, and by the press office that released the photo. But no sinister plots, I"m afraid.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:54 am
What Vandal found, in addition to the use of a very bright flash. Shadows help the human brain establish perspective, and the lack of any shadows makes the forced perspective even worse. Very poor decisions by the photographer, and by the press office that released the photo. But no sinister plots, I"m afraid.
All these things mentioned, plus being in close range to the subjects while using a wide-angle lens makes the distortion even worse.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx