If you haven't booked travel already for this year...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

If you haven't booked travel already for this year...

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 pm

... and want to, you might be too late for decent prices.

Remember that I mentioned in another post that airfare to BHM was expensive? We went ahead and booked tickets at the end of March, primarily because they would not charge a change fee if I did a change for tix bought before 3/31. Those tix were $870 for the pair.

Just for grins, I checked the same flight for the current price, and it's an astounding $1665. (I looked at the seating charts, and there aren't many seats sold, so that isn't the reason.)

And don't get started on car rentals, which is its own nightmare right now with demand and (no) supply. The car I booked months ago for $120 (Alamo via Costco) for two days is now going for $210 and up.

Similarly, Mrs Spiff and I decided to go to South Florida for New Years, and booked everything by the end of March. Airfare is only up modestly ($200 total), but as with the BHM flight, there isn't that much movement on seats. The car rental has jumped from $245 for four days to $370, and some companies aren't taking reservations for certain categories. And the hotel room we'd booked for $587 (total) for three nights is now just shy of $1000.

Just saying - if you're planing on travel, look into it now and maybe either wait and hope for the best, or just punt until 2022.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

BackInTex

Re: If you haven't booked travel already for this year...

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm

I'm not seeing it, but then again I'm only looking at round trip to Hawaii for the trip (3 different bookings) we tried last year. I had RT tickets for $825. I see some on comparable dates for $735. But since Ms. BiT will not be teaching anymore we can go anytime. I see some RT offerings in October for $595. It probably depends on the destinations. Hawaii still may be a less desirable destination for many as they have some fairly tough restrictions.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 04, 2021 4:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm
I'm not seeing it, but then again I'm only looking at round trip to Hawaii for the trip (3 different bookings) we tried last year. I had RT tickets for $825. I see some on comparable dates for $735. But since Ms. BiT will not be teaching anymore we can go anytime. I see some RT offerings in October for $595. It probably depends on the destinations. Hawaii still may be a less desirable destination for many as they have some fairly tough restrictions.
Have you seen in the news that people are renting U-Haul trucks to sightsee in Hawaii because auto rentals are not available?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 04, 2021 5:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:34 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm
Have you seen in the news that people are renting U-Haul trucks to sightsee in Hawaii because auto rentals are not available?
No. But good for U-haul branching out.

I just checked Avis. They have cars, now, for October. Not for July. :shock:
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Tue May 04, 2021 8:37 pm

BHM?

=
Bahamas?

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Tue May 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Spock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:37 pm
BHM?

=
Bahamas?
Birmingham, Alabama
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:51 pm
Spock wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:37 pm
BHM?

=
Bahamas?
Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks