Galveston

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Galveston

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:03 pm

Celebrating Quinn's 6th birthday and Jake's belated 4th, since the zoo was closed during freeze.
Kids, grands, inlaws with lotsa laughs.
Today is hot and sunny-I lasted maybe 45 minutes because sun is wicked.
Thursday we arrived and it was cold, windy, windy, windy and last night had a spectacular storm. Stayed up til midnite which is way too late.
Anyway, during crap windy weather we had squadrons of pelicans fly over, saw an American white ibis, and today the lovebugs are out in force.
The ocean is so fabu.
Well, then

BackInTex

Re: Galveston

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:32 pm

where are y’all staying? We’ve got a place at Vista Del Mar for Memorial Day weekend.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:45 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:32 pm
where are y’all staying? We’ve got a place at Vista Del Mar for Memorial Day weekend.
It's a rental in Pointe West, right next to the dune walkway. Stairs are killing us. It's very nice, kids got passes for pool etc so grands have been on beach for 3 hours and now at pool...we're watching Astros.
We have 8 adults, 2 kids.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:47 pm

We're west of you, the 19 mile drive at 40 mph was almost as annoying as going thru Houston
Well, then

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:47 pm

One of my favorite memories is from Galveston.

I was 20 years old and we were in Houston area for the wedding of a family friend. I talked to a girl for quite awhile on the beach while my folks were waiting in the car and laughing at me.

Always kind of regretted not at least getting her name.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:47 pm

I was 20 years old and we were in Houston area for the wedding of a family friend. I talked to a girl for quite awhile on the beach while my folks were waiting in the car and laughing at me.

Do you remember which beach? One, like me, forgets how long it is.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:14 pm

I went to Galveston in 1990 when I was in Houston for a month, turning over the product I wrote to BMC in Sugarland. They paid $2 million for it then killed it because it competed too successfully with their product.

My girlfriend flew down from Boise, and we made some trips. BMC didn't have anything for me to do after the first few days, but they had paid for everything for a month (including the rental of a brand new Thunderbird!), so we had three weeks to explore.

We went to Galveston and looked around, then drove to and on the beach. We drove to where there was a beached shipwreck. On the way, we passed a Jeep Wagoneer full of people sitting in the middle of a tide pool. We thought they must have driven into it and gotten the distributer wet. We explored the wreck and drove back. By then, the tide was coming in, and the water was up to the doors of the Jeep. We didn't drive over to them as we were worried about getting stuck ourselves. We figured they must have had a tow truck on the way to pull them out. We drove back downtown and had a great seafood dinner, then went back to Houston.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:56 pm
Spock wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:47 pm

Do you remember which beach? One, like me, forgets how long it is.
I have no idea-my best guess is that it was close to wherever the main route from Houston comes in as we were limited by time.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:45 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:32 pm
It's a rental in Pointe West, right next to the dune walkway. Stairs are killing us. It's very nice, kids got passes for pool etc so grands have been on beach for 3 hours and now at pool...we're watching Astros.
We have 8 adults, 2 kids.
Actually, I just looked. Our reservation is Point West, also. Don't know why I was thinking Vista Del Mar, but then I looked it up and it is on the other side of the road. We will have 8 adults, 1 infant, and 1 dog.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:28 am

Ours is on other side too. Think clubhouse, pool etc is on right.
Well, then