Riddle me this, Spockman

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Riddle me this, Spockman

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 pm

I had to make a fast, unexpected trip to Northern Kentucky over the last two days. About four miles (give or take, most of the trip was a blur) east of Wall, SD, I passed an exit labeled, I kid you not, 239th Street. There was no exit for 238th St., nor 240th Street. Not even First, or fourth, or any other numbered street. Nothing but badlands as far as the eye can see.. Someone has a sense of the absurd.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

Re: Riddle me this, Spockman

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:41 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 pm
I had to make a fast, unexpected trip to Northern Kentucky over the last two days. About four miles (give or take, most of the trip was a blur) east of Wall, SD, I passed an exit labeled, I kid you not, 239th Street. There was no exit for 238th St., nor 240th Street. Not even First, or fourth, or any other numbered street. Nothing but badlands as far as the eye can see.. Someone has a sense of the absurd.
It turns into 411th Avenue and is about 50 miles long. Someone was expecting a metropolis there, I guess.

I noticed that on I-90 before Wall. I see there's a Wounded Knee Museum in Wall now.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

Re: Riddle me this, Spockman

#3 Post by Spock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 pm

I just wrote a long answer, but my internet is really crappy tonight and I lost it and I don't want to retype it at the risk of losing again tonight.

For now, I will just say that it seems consistent with normal rural street naming conventions that typically start at one corner of the county and are based on the mile system.

For example, I live on 150th Street and between 370th and 380th Ave. I am 5 miles south and 27 something miles west of the northeast corner of the county.

We got street addresses maybe 20 years ago. Rural addresses typically have a 5 digit house number.