A loophole in Georgia's new voter suppression law

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Re: A loophole in Georgia's new voter suppression law

#26 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:07 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:07 pm
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced today that the 2021 All Star Game and MLB draft will not be held in Atlanta as previously scheduled. A new location has not yet been selected. A planned tribute to Atlanta (and Milwaukee) Braves star Hank Aaron, who died during the offseason, will still be held during the All-Star festivities.
And 100s of oppressed minorities will be further oppressed by having the opportunity to earn a living hosting this event taken somewhere else, probably a location that is more white. Brilliant!

Oh, and how many minorities can actually afford tickets to this oppressive event? Apparently only whites can afford expensive things.
I hope you realize there are more non-Wites than Whites in America now. Whites are a minority.
How is that relevant to what I wrote?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#27 Post by Appa23 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am
Spock wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:04 am
Well, at least we know that if it is racist to require ID to vote that SSS and the Bobs will be strong advocates against any sort of Covid Vaccine Passport.
Apples and oranges.

It's racist to require ID to vote when to get the ID, people have to go to a DMV office and pay to get one, and the DMV offices have been closed in minority areas.

I'm against the vaccine passport because it would give a false sense of security. The vaccines are not 100% effective, and a person could be vaccinated and it wears off.
Surprised that no one has mentioned that there is no cost for an ID to be used for voting purposes. So, stop spreading that falsehood. It isn’t true anywhere that I know.

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:49 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:04 am
Well, at least we know that if it is racist to require ID to vote that SSS and the Bobs will be strong advocates against any sort of Covid Vaccine Passport.
Apples and oranges.

It's racist to require ID to vote when to get the ID, people have to go to a DMV office and pay to get one, and the DMV offices have been closed in minority areas.

I'm against the vaccine passport because it would give a false sense of security. The vaccines are not 100% effective, and a person could be vaccinated and it wears off.
Surprised that no one has mentioned that there is no cost for an ID to be used for voting purposes. So, stop spreading that falsehood. It isn’t true anywhere that I know.

Don't bother them with facts. Ignorance can be fixed, but willful fecking stupidity is forever.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:50 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:11 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm

And 100s of oppressed minorities will be further oppressed by having the opportunity to earn a living hosting this event taken somewhere else, probably a location that is more white. Brilliant!

Oh, and how many minorities can actually afford tickets to this oppressive event? Apparently only whites can afford expensive things.
I hope you realize there are more non-Wites than Whites in America now. Whites are a minority.
Because you throw around "minorities" to mean non-Whites, if you can't see that, you're the problem.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#30 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:50 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Because you throw around "minorities" to mean non-Whites, if you can't see that, you're the problem.
Really? This is from earlier in the thread. What "minority" are those areas?
Bob Juch wrote:
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#31 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:18 pm

I just looked at the US Census site:

2019 statistics: White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, 60.1%
Bob Juch wrote:I hope you realize there are more non-Wites than Whites in America now. Whites are a minority.
My math is pretty good so trust me when I say you are wrong.

So can I continue to use the word "minority" or "minorities" to refer to non-white? Without it being a problem? You do. So do most others. Can I? Pretty please?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm
So the primarily Republican counties were always oppressed by having only one box to drop ballots off in, but since they were previously oppressed and continue to be oppressed by having only a single location, it's O.K.? Am I reading that correctly?
No, these were small counties, both in terms of size and population, where it was considerably easier to get to drop boxes. And, for the record, drop boxes were used for the first time in the 2020 election. Nobody said that the smaller counties only could have one drop box. The law just said that they had to have at least one in every county. Fulton County felt there was a need for considerably more drop boxes, and nothing the logistics of getting around in this county, it makes sense.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#33 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:59 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:50 pm
BackInTex wrote:

Really? This is from earlier in the thread. What "minority" are those areas?
Bob Juch wrote:
It's racist to require ID to vote when to get the ID, people have to go to a DMV office and pay to get one, and the DMV offices have been closed in minority non-white areas.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#34 Post by Jeemie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm
Jeemie wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:00 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am

Have you read that particular section? It is pretty clear the intent and the reasoning behind it. And it is likely based on abuses that have occurred by similar activities. I realize you are not concerned about such abuses, if they come from your particular side, but new law does not prevent people in line from getting drinks for themselves or drinks being provided by the election judges.
But the section doesn’t bar just special interest groups from providing food and drink.

It bars anyone from doing so.
Have you actually read it? Did you read the part that says

"(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, .......or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote."
Oh yippee...an unattended water station...IF the polling station decides to bother with setting one up.

Come on, man!
Last edited by Jeemie on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Jeemie

#35 Post by Jeemie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:52 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:00 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am

What is racist is the assumption people of color can't do for themselves, that they are too stupid to figure things out, that they can't take care of themselves but that white people can and are not affected by such "oppressive" requirements.
No, what is racist are the requirements that disproportionately affect minority communities and make voting more difficult there when there is no valid reason to do so. The 2020 elections were the most carefully monitored and most heavily litigated in our nation's history. There was no evidence of fraud that would necessitate additional "security" measures.

I voted by absentee ballot and dropped our ballots in a drop box outside a Fulton County vocational training building about a mile from home. I could have done so 24 hours a day. Under the new law, the number of drop boxes per county will be much lower, from 38 to about 8 in Fulton County. (a maximum of one drop box per 100,000 registered voters in the county). Most of the small, heavily Republican counties only have one drop box location anyway, usually at the county courthouse, so the new law won't affect them. However, it will make it much more burdensome to use the drop box in urban counties that just happen to be heavily Democratic (I'll also have to go inside a building that's an early voting location during voting hours to use the drop box). There was absolutely no evidence of fraud or theft regarding drop boxes (which had surveillance cameras) in the last election. This is just one of the changes that has no effect on election security but a highly disproportionate effect on voting in Democratic counties.

Minorities can and will still locate drop boxes if they need them to vote. But it becomes considerably more difficult to use them for no valid reason.
So the primarily Republican counties were always oppressed by having only one box to drop ballots off in, but since they were previously oppressed and continue to be oppressed by having only a single location, it's O.K.? Am I reading that correctly?
No...a lot of them live in small towns where it’s not overly difficult to get to the few number of drop boxes they had.

SSS’ other point is well taken. There was no problem with either the number of or the security of the drop boxes.

Therefore there was no need to craft legislation that limited them.

In my day conservatives used to be against onerous legislation and regulation that served no purpose.

That doesn’t seem to be an issue with today’s tribal right wing.

Interesting how many principles get chucked overboard when tribe becomes all important.

Bob Juch

#36 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

But the section doesn’t bar just special interest groups from providing food and drink.

"(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, .......or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote."
Oh yippee...and unattended water station...IF the polling station decides to bother with setting one up.

Come on, man!
I'm having a flashback to it saying "Whites Only".

BackInTex

#37 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:08 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 pm
Jeemie wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Oh yippee...and unattended water station...IF the polling station decides to bother with setting one up.

Come on, man!
Well, you think 60% is a minority.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#38 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:10 am

Jeemie wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Oh yippee...an unattended water station...IF the polling station decides to bother with setting one up.

Come on, man!
It is not a social event. I've never needed refreshments when I've gone to vote. If the lines are too long, address that issue. Not some "perk" that you apparently think minorities need to show up to do their duty.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#39 Post by Jeemie » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 pm
Jeemie wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Come on, man!
I see you haven’t changed from your idiocy either.

🙄

Jeemie

#40 Post by Jeemie » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:10 am
Jeemie wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Come on, man!
It is not a social event. I've never needed refreshments when I've gone to vote. If the lines are too long, address that issue. Not some "perk" that you apparently think minorities need to show up to do their duty.
Gee...that could be addressed by...you know...adding more polling places and making it easier to vote by mail?

Guess who has resisted providing more resources to do that and ignored enforcing its own requirements for capping the number of voters per polling place?

Guess who just made it harder to vote by mail?

The GOP controlled state legislature.

And your other comment doesn’t matter.

Again...conservatives used to be against burdensome regulations that did nothing.

But today’s conservatives now cheer when the legislature votes to limit drop boxes which does nothing to improve election security.

Or when they forbid the food and water which does nothing to improve election security.

Or they centralize control of elections to a body whose members will now be chosen in a partisan manner which absolutely does nothing to improve election security.

Today’s right wing now cheers burdensome regulations because Yay Team!

BackInTex

#41 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 am

Jeemie wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 am
BackInTex wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Come on, man!
Gee...that could be addressed by...you know...adding more polling places and making it easier to vote by mail?

Guess who has resisted providing more resources to do that and ignored enforcing its own requirements for capping the number of voters per polling place?

Again...conservatives used to be against burdensome regulations that did nothing.

But today’s conservatives now cheer when the legislature votes to limit drop boxes which does nothing to improve election security.

Or when they forbid the food and water which does nothing to improve election security.

Or they centralize control of elections to a body whose members will now be chosen in a partisan manner which absolutely does nothing to improve election security.

You obviously don't understand conservative thought and burdensome regulations. First, the dislike for burdensome regulations is with respect to how we live our lives and run our businesses. Not how government operates itself. Second, if not being able to get a free drink of water from someone wanting to influence how you vote is burdensome, then I can't help.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#42 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:20 am

BackInTex wrote:
The Georgia primary was in June. Lines in some predominantly black precincts in Fulton County were five-six hours long. Although the official closing time was 7 pm, many precincts stayed open until 9 or 10, and some people didn't actually get to vote until the next day.

Every time the Georgia General Assembly "addresses the issue" of long lines, it's to reduce the number of polling places in the metro Georgia counties. Georgia has 159 counties. Over 100 of them have less than 50,000 total population, so long lines on election day there aren't an issue. Not coincidentally, the vast majority of those small counties are mostly white and tend to vote Republican in large numbers. The largest counties in the state have half the population but less than 40% of the voting locations.

Voting is not a "duty"'; it is a right. The state has no business throwing up barriers to make that right more difficult when those barriers predominately affect voters in areas that vote overwhelmingly for one political party over another.

silverscreenselect

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 am
Second, if not being able to get a free drink of water from someone wanting to influence how you vote is burdensome, then I can't help.
Spoken by someone who did not stand in line in the summer heat for six hours to vote.

BackInTex

#44 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 am

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 am
BackInTex wrote:
Second, if not being able to get a free drink of water from someone wanting to influence how you vote is burdensome, then I can't help.
Spoken by someone who did not stand in line in the summer heat for six hours to vote.
No I did not. But if I had, believe me, my focus would be on increasing the throughput of polling stations and having more polling places, not making the primary focus of my objection the fact I can't get someone to bring me a drink. It makes me and others think that it's not really about accessibility to polling places, but access to voters at polling places.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#45 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:15 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 am
BackInTex wrote:
No I did not. But if I had, believe me, my focus would be on increasing the throughput of polling stations and having more polling places, not making the primary focus of my objection the fact I can't get someone to bring me a drink. It makes me and others think that it's not really about accessibility to polling places, but access to voters at polling places.
You're tight. If you don't want long lines, increase the number of polling places.

silverscreenselect

#46 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Gee, why didn't the Democrats think of that?

Oh wait, they did, and it didn't do much good since the Republicans control the state legislature and have been systematically making it more difficult to vote in Democratic-leaning areas for two decades now.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#47 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:09 pm

Remember all those sheriffs, in California and elsewhere, who announced they would refuse to enforce duly enacted mask mandates? Good luck getting the Fulton County DA to prosecute anyone. And I’d love to see Atlanta cops announce that they won’t enforce this law.

This law strikes me as an excellent candidate for mass civil disobedience. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#48 Post by Jeemie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:31 am

BackInTex wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 am
BackInTex wrote:

You obviously don't understand conservative thought and burdensome regulations. First, the dislike for burdensome regulations is with respect to how we live our lives and run our businesses. Not how government operates itself. Second, if not being able to get a free drink of water from someone wanting to influence how you vote is burdensome, then I can't help.
Voting is part of how we live our lives...it’s our right to vote...and if government makes it harder for no reason...it’s a burdensome regulation that infringes on our rights.

Jeemie

#49 Post by Jeemie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:33 am

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:23 pm
BackInTex wrote:

Gee, why didn't the Democrats think of that?

Oh wait, they did, and it didn't do much good since the Republicans control the state legislature and have been systematically making it more difficult to vote in Democratic-leaning areas for two decades now.
Already mentioned that..he ignored it.