SSS Goes to the Movies

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

SSS Goes to the Movies

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 pm

Today, Mrs. SSS and I went to the movies indoors for the first time in over a year (we've been to the drive-in a few times). Several local theaters have Tuesday specials with all-day pricing less than either matinee or senior pricing. So, I picked two theaters that had recliner seats, plenty of spacing between rows, good ventilation, and from experience I know did a good job of keeping the place clean. Both of them featured restricted seating, so if you take two seats in the middle of a row, the two seats on either side of you are blocked off from sale. I also figured that on a Tuesday, there wouldn't be many people in the place to see what we were going to see.

I was right on that count. The first movie had one woman sitting in the back row while we sat halfway to the front on the other side of the auditorium. At the second movie, we were the only people in attendance. The films were very good as well.

The Father, with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman about a man losing touch with reality due to dementia and his daughter's attempts to deal with him.

Promising Young Woman with Carey Mulligan as a woman whose best friend was raped in college in a Brett Kavanaugh-like scenario. She looks for payback against the people responsible, but it's not your typical revenge movie, and the ending is very unexpected.

Both films were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, so we've now seen all the nominees except Minari (Mrs. SSS is not big on subtitled films, so I'll probably wait until that one's available for free streaming). We've also seen all the nominated acting performances except for those in Minari. So I managed to get my usual amount of nominated films in before the Oscar ceremony.
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: SSS Goes to the Movies

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:18 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 pm
Promising Young Woman with Carey Milligan as a woman whose best friend was raped in college in a Brett Kavanaugh-like scenario. She looks for payback against the people responsible, but it's not your typical revenge movie, and the ending is very unexpected.
Kind of a Shutter Island redux?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: SSS Goes to the Movies

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:18 am
silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 pm
Promising Young Woman with Carey Milligan as a woman whose best friend was raped in college in a Brett Kavanaugh-like scenario. She looks for payback against the people responsible, but it's not your typical revenge movie, and the ending is very unexpected.
Kind of a Shutter Island redux?
Not quite the same thing, but also not what you would expect from this type of film.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com