The Atlanta Shootings

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

The Atlanta Shootings

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:04 pm

My thoughts on this are somewhat different from those of many other liberals:

1) The first shooting took place in Cherokee County, which is on the outskirts of what is considered metro Atlanta. It's considerably more conservative than the closer-in suburbs and voted for Trump 2-1 in the last election. I'm not familiar with the area where the shooting occurred. The second set of shootings took place in a part of Atlanta that has a number of similar "health spas," strip clubs, and adult emporiums, but it's also home to a number of popular restaurants and gay bars. People there tend to have a very laissez faire attitude towards the various businesses.

2) These massage parlors are brothels; the Atlanta ones at least operate generally without much hassle from the police. The women who work there are overwhelmingly Asian. Many of them are trafficked and pretty much forced to work there. Occasionally there's a bust for prostitution or for trafficking charges against the owners. White prostitutes generally operate out of motels or private residences and have to be scheduled in advance. Someone who's not very sophisticated (as this defendant seems to be) would have to either cruise for a streetwalker in some parts of Atlanta or visit a massage parlor.

3) Based on what I've read, this guy seems to have some major sex hangups and guilt trips. He probably visited the three places in question in the past, so when he decided to start killing prostitutes, it's no surprise he visited them. My guess is that almost all of the women he visited at any spa were Asian, not necessarily because of some desire on his part but because that's who was working at the places he knew about.

4) I just don't see this as an anti-Asian hate crime. I do see it as an anti-woman hate crime and I'm disappointed that very few people are concentrating on that aspect of the crime. These women "work" under terrible conditions but instead of focusing on the tragedy in their lives, many liberal are trying to shoehorn this into an anti-Asian crime.

5) Having said that, the behavior of the Cherokee County sheriff;s spokesman is abysmal. He characterized the killing as this guy "having a bad day" and sounded a lot more like a defense attorney outlining his strategy than a police spokesman. It also turns out that he promoted the sale of some tee shirts on his personal website last year proclaiming that COVID 19 was imported from CHY-NA. (He has since been relieved as the department spokesperson on the case.)

6) Although I don't think these shootings are anti-Asian hate crimes, I do think that a public discussion of the tremendous rise in such crimes over the last year is far overdue. Republicans and Trumpists who keep joking about the "Wuhan flu" and the "China virus" to deflect attention from their own failures in the pandemic are deplorable. And for Congressman Chip Roy to bring up stringing people up and lynching them in this hearing is utterly reprehensible.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: The Atlanta Shootings

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:22 pm

Biden orders flags at half-staff to honor victims of Atlanta-area spa shootings

Really? This really devalues the honor paid to those who deserve the honor of flags being lowered.

Not withstanding from what these women may have been doing for a living, we should not be honoring people because of how they died, but honor people based on what they did while alive.

If we lower the flag to honor someone because they were murdered, we might as well keep the flags lowered continuously.

Why do victims need to be honored because they are victims?

Yeah, I know this was political because they think they can blame their deaths on Trump, but this is just another pathetic order from Captain Sad and his ship of fools.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:04 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:22 pm
Biden orders flags at half-staff to honor victims of Atlanta-area spa shootings

Really? This really devalues the honor paid to those who deserve the honor of flags being lowered.

Not withstanding from what these women may have been doing for a living, we should not be honoring people because of how they died, but honor people based on what they did while alive.

If we lower the flag to honor someone because they were murdered, we might as well keep the flags lowered continuously.

Why do victims need to be honored because they are victims?

Yeah, I know this was political because they think they can blame their deaths on Trump, but this is just another pathetic order from Captain Sad and his ship of fools.
Rec
Well, then

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:23 pm

If you look at the supposed "Anti-Asian" crime wave on a granular level-I think you find some interesting results.

For example, a high profile murder of an elderly Asian American occurred in San Francisco in January.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/16/us/san-f ... index.html

Video showed an African-American committed the crime and a 19-Year old has been arrested. Given voting patterns in San Francisco-it is unlikely that he is a big Trump guy.

This supposed Anti-Asian crime wave seems to be skipping Trump hotspots like Boise and Fargo for some reason and not because there are no Asians there.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:23 pm
If you look at the supposed "Anti-Asian" crime wave on a granular level-I think you find some interesting results.
By granular, Spock means one crime caught on video. Of course some of the rise is attributible to other minorities, but that's an attempt to deflect blame from the way that Trump stoked up anti-Asian animus with "Kung Flu" and similar comments.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Spock wrote:
By granular, Spock means one crime caught on video. Of course some of the rise is attributible to other minorities, but that's an attempt to deflect blame from the way that Trump stoked up anti-Asian animus with "Kung Flu" and similar comments.
Only racists think what Trump did was to stock up anti-Asian animus. Trump stoked up anti-CCP animus. But you and the rest of the liberals can only see race.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:46 pm

Spock wrote:
I challenge you SSS-if you want to talk about this "Supposed Anti-Asian" crime wave stoked by Trump to bring specific examples of (multiple) crimes to the table, instead of just pounding the table about "Trump stoked up Anti-Asian animus."

And, no-somebody saying somebody said a bad word to them doesn't count.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:01 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:46 pm
Spock wrote:
I challenge you SSS-if you want to talk about this "Supposed Anti-Asian" crime wave stoked by Trump to bring specific examples of (multiple) crimes to the table, instead of just pounding the table about "Trump stoked up Anti-Asian animus."

And, no-somebody saying somebody said a bad word to them doesn't count.
Anti-Asian hate crimes are up 150% in the last year. That statistic appears in numerous places. At the same time, overall hate crimes have declined. And we're talking about actual crimes here, not abusive language. And abusive language when accompanied by physical threats is assault. And many crimes of this nature are underreported. This is just one article; there are many:
One Chinese American woman reported that a “man on the subway slapped my hands, threatened to throw his lighter at me, then called me a ‘c---- b----.’ He then said to ‘get the f--- out of NYC.’” Another woman, who’s Filipino American, reported that while in a Washington, D.C., metro station with her boyfriend, a man shouted "Chinese b----" at her, coughed at the couple and physically threatened them.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... t-n1261257

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Spa Attack Victim's Husband Says Officers Detained Him for Hours After Shooting ‘Because I'm Mexican'
A man who survived the shooting that killed his wife at an Atlanta-area massage parlor last week said police detained him outside the spa for four hours after the attack before finally telling him his wife was dead while he sat handcuffed in the back of a patrol car. Mario González, a Mexican National, made the revelation in an interview with Mundo Hispanico, a Spanish-language news website, and follows other criticism of Cherokee County officials investigating the March 16 attack, which killed four people. Four others were killed about an hour later at two other spas in Atlanta.

González's accusation would also mean that he remained detained after police released security video images of the suspected gunman and after authorities captured him 150 miles south of Atlanta. He questioned whether his treatment by authorities was because he's Mexican.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:01 pm

Anti-Asian hate crimes are up 150% in the last year. That statistic appears in numerous places. At the same time, overall hate crimes have declined. And we're talking about actual crimes here, not abusive language. And abusive language when accompanied by physical threats is assault. And many crimes of this nature are underreported. This is just one article; there are many:
They seem to be mostly perpetrated by blacks. At least the videos I've seen where an Asian person is randomly attacked.
~~ Thomas Jefferson