A Year Late; But Namibia Beckons

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

A Year Late; But Namibia Beckons

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 pm

The Spocklette is unable to go this year because of a summer internship dealie.

Airline plans:

Switched to Air Ethiopia after we got our refund from Delta. This avoids the uncertainty of South Africa. I guess Air Ethiopia has been a rock star through the Covid thing and never stopped flying.

Get into Addis Ababa in the morning after a hellacious flight. Hopefully, we will be able to see some of the Sahara Desert as it gets light.

Very short connecting time to Windhoek, but, again, apparently the airline is a rockstar and will hold the plane.

Cool that we will be flying the North/South axis of Africa in the daylight. Hope to see some stuff (Congo River?) out the window.

Our original hunting spot is not possible because of drought. I am hoping for the big wilderness of Bushmanland-but that has yet to be determined.

tlynn78

Re: A Year Late; But Namibia Beckons

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Airline plans:

Switched to Air Ethiopia after we got our refund from Delta. This avoids the uncertainty of South Africa. I guess Air Ethiopia has been a rock star through the Covid thing and never stopped flying.

Get into Addis Ababa in the morning after a hellacious flight. Hopefully, we will be able to see some of the Sahara Desert as it gets light.

Very short connecting time to Windhoek, but, again, apparently the airline is a rockstar and will hold the plane.

Cool that we will be flying the North/South axis of Africa in the daylight. Hope to see some stuff (Congo River?) out the window.

Our original hunting spot is not possible because of drought. I am hoping for the big wilderness of Bushmanland-but that has yet to be determined.
Have fun storming the - um, savannah? I am woefully ignorant of African geography.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 am
Spock wrote:

Airline plans:

Have fun storming the - um, savannah? I am woefully ignorant of African geography.
Well, let's start with the Luangwa River valley-LOL.

But seriously, if somebody asked me where to go on a photo type safari to Africa-I would recommend the Luangwa River parks in Zambia. North Luangwa and South Luangwa.

We have a zebra rug on the floor in the trophy room-TBH,room is stretching it-it is more like an alcove-LOL-our newish house kitten was having way too much fun playing with the mane so we had to put something over it.

Sadly, the room (alcove?) has southern exposure so the rug is starting to fade.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:03 am

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Spock wrote:

Airline plans:

But seriously, if somebody asked me where to go on a photo type safari to Africa-I would recommend the Luangwa River parks in Zambia. North Luangwa and South Luangwa.

We have a zebra rug on the floor in the trophy room-TBH,room is stretching it-it is more like an alcove-LOL-our newish house kitten was having way too much fun playing with the mane so we had to put something over it.

Ah - my newest hire here in my office hails from Mozambique - opposite coast from your destination. She's inspired me to look into travel there at some point.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:15 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:03 am
Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am
tlynn78 wrote:

Ah - my newest hire here in my office hails from Mozambique - opposite coast from your destination. She's inspired me to look into travel there at some point.
Cool beans. Gorongosa is on my bucket list. Wonderful things happening there.

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 pm

TGirl (or anybody else)-I thought of some books for you to put you in the mood somewhat.

I have loved most of Alexandra Fuller's books and she is a rough contemporary (born 1969) of mine-so there is context that way. Now I realize that you are substantially older than that (ducking and running-LOL) but they still work.

1) "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight"
-----Childhood memoir of growing up during the Rhodesian War in the 1970's and some events after.

2) "Scribbling the Cat"-
----Travels with a Rhodesian vet to some of his old battlefields in Mozambique

3) "Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness"
------This short gem is possibly my second* favorite all-time book. Mostly focuses on the lives of her mother and father as white people living in Africa and the price they paid to stay there.

She has written a few other books, but she lost me with her "Oh, poor me" divorce memoir and I will never buy a book of hers again-only library.

Of note-she livid in Wyoming for several years with her husband and still may be there?

Some of my peeps at Frontier Partisans feel that she lead the soldier on in "Scribbling the Cat." but every time I open "Cocktail Hour" all is forgiven.

FWIW-My all time favorite is George MacDonald Fraser's "Private MacCauslin Stories."

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:47 pm

Thanks for these, Spock. (Well, except for the age crack, whippersnapper). Always looking for interesting reads. You know, before my eyes fail me. 🤣