Netflix Lets Me Down

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Netflix Lets Me Down

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:41 pm

I've got a bone to pick with Netflix, or, more specifically, the producers of Netflix's new series The One, which started airing today. It's based on a novel by John Marrs, who is the most successful author I've ever reviewed books for. He personally sent me a preview copy of the book to review four years ago when it was first published (under another title).

The book is one of his best, with some complex, twisty storylines. It's based on the same premise as the recent AMC series, Soulmates, that there is a specific DNA match "the One" for everyone, and the company matches applicants' DNA profiles until it finds the match then lets the couple know. Instead of John's great storylines (a serial killer winds up being the match for the detective who is tracking him down), we get some generic corporate intrigue. The episode I saw today was a big disappointment.

I highly recommend the book. The limited series, not so much.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Netflix Lets Me Down

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:16 am

My aunt had this idea about a million years ago in her SF reading days, but fingerprints, not DNA. Now I wish she'd written it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller