Airfare is wonky right now

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

Airfare is wonky right now

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 am

OK, I know airfare is always wonky, but this one is really out there.

Mrs. Spiff and I are planning to go watch an Alabama football game in October (COVID permitting). We decided which flights to take down to Birmingham and back to maximize the time there (early Friday out, midday Sunday back in case of a night game), using American Airlines.

Now, I know BHM isn't a cheap place to fly into and out of. It only has the three major airlines plus Southwest, and they don't have the window open that far out (not that it would matter -- currently they don't have connections that are good between here and there.

Anyway, when we decided on which flights, the cost (refundable rate) was about $700 RT for both of us. I figured I'd do what I usually do -- figure that's a baseline rate and see what happens, jump if the rate drops.

Two days later, on Tuesday, it'd jumped up to $800.

I decided that, as long as I was getting a refundable ticket anyway, to go ahead and get it; if it dropped a lot, I'd get the refund and buy new tickets.

Today, (two more days later), it jumped up another$400. That was the price for first class tickets four days ago.

Before you think this is an American thing, similar things have happened with Delta and United.

I've been getting targeted ads on Facebook from Southwest Airlines for flying in and out of BHM. Two weeks ago, it was $150 per person one-way. It's been jumping up ever since. This morning, that same trip was advertised at $232 per person one-way.

I'm not sure if it's because of airlines' concerns about fuel prices, or if they view that traffic will get up to speed once COVID diminishes, but this sure is weird.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

BackInTex

Re: Airfare is wonky right now

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 am

It has to be something about the route and or dates.

We purchased United Basic Economy (no seat assignment, no carryon) to and from Denver (out of Houston) for the end of March for $49 per leg. Purchased about 3 weeks ago. Prices are still the same today.

I'm a 1K member because of all my travel in 2019, and was grandfathered a year. I don't know if I'll get much travel in this year, certainly not enough to get back to 1K. Anyway, that status allows me to check up to 3 bags per passenger flying with me, and I get a carryon even with Economy Plus. But I don't get any credit towards status for next year. But this was on my dime so to get to Denver for a 3 day weekend to see my daughter and grand-daughter for $98 is a steal.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Gasoline prices have been rising considerably. That may affect aviation kerosene.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:55 pm

I just wonder if it isn't connected to something you mentioned -- targeted advertising. The airlines have to have caught on to the fact that people are shopping much harder than they used to, so maybe they're playing with prices for individual customers?

As an experiment, I just searched a round trip flight to Birmingham from my little podunk airport for a weekend in October (in on a Thursday, out on a Sunday. I'll do the same search for the next few days and see what happens.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#5 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:28 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:55 pm
I just wonder if it isn't connected to something you mentioned -- targeted advertising. The airlines have to have caught on to the fact that people are shopping much harder than they used to, so maybe they're playing with prices for individual customers?

As an experiment, I just searched a round trip flight to Birmingham from my little podunk airport for a weekend in October (in on a Thursday, out on a Sunday. I'll do the same search for the next few days and see what happens.
I second targeted advertising.

If I look at something on-line just because I am curious, without any particular intention to buy, BOOM! I am flooded with ads relating to whatever that is.