2021 Rock Hall Nominees Announced

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: 2021 Rock Hall Nominees Announced

#26 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 am

Appa23 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:32 pm
I hope that this Bored is still around in 11 years, because I have to see T-Bone’s reaction when Taylor Swift is inducted in her first year of eligibility. 🤗
It may be one of dismay, but not of surprise. I have long ago given up the idea of artists outside the traditional definition of the term "rock 'n roll" not being inducted...perhaps I never completely advocated for strict enforcement of those boundaries in the first place, as rock encompasses many styles. There are, of course, limits. But as far as Ms. Swift goes, her potential induction, if she continues to be a force in current music, is fair game and that is because of the precedent set by the induction of Madonna, who is not by any stretch of my imagination rock 'n roll.

To be as fair as I can, Swift is a fine songwriter...although every time I saw her perform live on a televised event of one sort or another, she was flat out terrible..couldn't find a correct note with an extensive road map and a GPS. Admittedly, I haven't been "fortunate" enough to experience another live performance in a while, so maybe she's developed some skills since then.

I will, admit that there are a couple of songs on her latest album, a sort of return-to-her-roots kind of thing, that I actually like..and in fact, downloaded. The first such appearances on my iPod by her.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#27 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 am

I never had an opinion about Taylor Swift until her ad for one of the credit cards had her undercover as a waitress in a 50s-style soda joint, and I was delighted to see her winking at the whole thing - she was in on the joke, and not taking herself seriously. I still have no opinion about her as an artist, though; I tend to change the station when songs come on with current, chirpy female vocals.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#28 Post by Estonut » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 am
I loved my visit to the Hall, and have an expensive memento, ...
What did you buy?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Ritterskoop

#29 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:58 pm

Estonut wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 am
I loved my visit to the Hall, and have an expensive memento, ...
What did you buy?
I never know if things on the internets are real or sarcastic - it is my avatar, the gold record with the lyrics from "Imagine" engraved on it.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.