Vaccine signup

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: Vaccine signup

#51 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 pm

Arizona originally has a cutoff at 75, then reduced it to 70. They had a shortage, so I couldn't even sign up to get an appointment. Then they reduced it to 65, and we still have a shortage. I seldom go out, so I am in no great hurry.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#52 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:53 pm

I've gotten two calls this week from our county senior services department (Mrs. SSS was an active Silver Sneakers participant before the pandemic). They told me that we could sign up for appointments through them. We thanked them and told them we already had gotten ours. It's good that they are being proactive and reaching out to seniors who may have difficulty figuring out how to sign up on their own.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#53 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 pm

NC allows that the rest of Group 3 can start making appointments tomorrow, AND they include college instructors/staff, so I am earlier than I thought. They said yes, if you work from home, we'd rather you wait, but anyone in Group 3 can now make an appointment, so go for it.

I had signed up to volunteer at a shot clinic in three weeks, and been given a Group 1 code from that, so I'll get my first Pfizer shot tomorrow in Winston-Salem. At an old Sears. I am so happy they are using vacant space like this.

Also BLOWN AWAY that Merck is going to manufacture the J&J vaccine to help out. Mostly those companies don't work together like that.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#54 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 am

We're still in Group 1. :x :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SpacemanSpiff

#55 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:55 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 pm
Also BLOWN AWAY that Merck is going to manufacture the J&J vaccine to help out. Mostly those companies don't work together like that.
I suspect it's a bit of a shotgun wedding. But I, too, am glad to see it happen.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

mellytu74

#56 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:32 am

Boonie and I were on the county list and one at Walgreen's. He was on the Weis Markets one but I wasn't.

Then, we got emails - since the GP for both of us is in the Temple Hospital Health System, we could get the vaccine through that avenue.

First shots were Friday - Pfizer. Slightly achy arms and I had chills on Saturday but, overall, nothing much.

BackInTex

#57 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 am

Not wanting to start a fight or something that devolves into name calling but I've been seeing a lot of folks on FB and a few here that are saying they are getting on multiple wait lists for the vaccine. When you get on a list, doesn't that mean someone else didn't? And if you are getting yourself on multiple lists then are you not keeping multiple others from getting on the list? Are these lists like restaurant reservations and if you don't show up, the table goes unused (e.g. vaccine goes unused and perhaps offered ad-hoc to someone not in the current priority group) so someone wanting and eligible goes without, for now?

I had some fun with BJ when he said he's going to wait to allow others to get ahead of him in line. I don't much like the taste of crow, but I'll eat some here as I find his position to be much more favorable than those who get on multiple lists. It seems like Walmart on Black Friday with folks elbowing out their fellow man to get to that $300 flat screen.

I'm I off or somewhat correct?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#58 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:26 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 am
Not wanting to start a fight or something that devolves into name calling but I've been seeing a lot of folks on FB and a few here that are saying they are getting on multiple wait lists for the vaccine. When you get on a list, doesn't that mean someone else didn't? And if you are getting yourself on multiple lists then are you not keeping multiple others from getting on the list? Are these lists like restaurant reservations and if you don't show up, the table goes unused (e.g. vaccine goes unused and perhaps offered ad-hoc to someone not in the current priority group) so someone wanting and eligible goes without, for now?

I had some fun with BJ when he said he's going to wait to allow others to get ahead of him in line. I don't much like the taste of crow, but I'll eat some here as I find his position to be much more favorable than those who get on multiple lists. It seems like Walmart on Black Friday with folks elbowing out their fellow man to get to that $300 flat screen.

You are correct, sir.

jarnon

#59 Post by jarnon » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:31 am

BackInTex wrote:

Actually making multiple appointments for the shot would be horrendous. But a wait list is just that. There's no limit to the size of the list, so nobody is excluded.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#60 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:42 am

jarnon wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:31 am
BackInTex wrote:

Actually making multiple appointments for the shot would be horrendous. But a wait list is just that. There's no limit to the size of the list, so nobody is excluded.
The waitlist is full here in Pima County.

BackInTex

#61 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:42 am

jarnon wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:31 am
But a wait list is just that. There's no limit to the size of the list, so nobody is excluded.
Then why are some able to get on lists and others not?

I know people driving across the state because they "finally" got on a list, but in another far away county. They couldn't get on the lists in their county.

Still seems like everyman for himself.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#62 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:40 am

At the risk of adding a political component (I really don't want to) the lack of a national plan for distribution has meant that each state develops its own guidelines for distribution, waiting lists, etc. In some cases (Indiana), it's decentralized even further: The state is split into 9 regions, and each region can make its own decisions, subject to overall requirements by the state. So any blanket statement about waiting lists is likely to be inaccurate.

In my area, since people on the waiting list must be physically called when extra doses are available, there is a physical limit to the size of the waiting list. But the coordination of local lists is done through a state clearinghouse, so there's less chance of getting on multiple waiting lists. Doesn't mean people couldn't game the system if they wanted to badly enough, but well-meaning people will not be on multiple waiting lists. My understanding is that this is not true in other locations.

What has caused a lot of teachers consternation is the "pre-existing conditions" exception for the waiting list: until last week, if you were between 18-60 and had one of 7 pre-existing conditions, including smoking and obesity, you could get on the waiting list. If you were a healthy teacher, you could not. Many, many jokes about taking up smoking amongst teachers the last few weeks.

Indiana has recently dropped the minimum age to 55, and rumors are it will go down to 50 this weekend. We must be expecting a glut of vaccines soon.

BTW, I was advised to wait until 90 days after my positive test to get a vaccine. Since I'm over 60, all I had to do was wait for them to open appointments far enough out that I could sign up. I scheduled the first shot today -- April 9, Wendy's birthday.

Good luck to everyone.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#63 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 pm

In Montgomery County, the list (and making the appointment) goes in order from the date you signed up. So, the list is a rolling list of names. It's not so much a "waiting list" as a scheduling list. The county wait list will never be filled because people are signing up every day.

PARAGRAPH HAS BEEN UPDATED:
The county sends a weekly email indicating where it is on the list, as far as scheduling appointments from the sign-up list date. It provides a list of dates, how many submissions there were on that date and if that date has been scheduled/in the process of being scheduled.

The high for one day was 29,000 (mid-January) and 19,000 the day after that. The lowest single-day seems to be 800+ on a day in mid-February. It averages out to about 1,500-2,000 per day average.

We contacted the county as soon as we got the hospital system email, which gave us a month of appointment choices at two different hospitals. We'll confirm that we've already had the shot/scheduled for the second when the county contacts us.

We also called to pull ourselves off the pharmacy wait lists. We never got as far as getting an appointment, just the waitlist to get a future appointment.

A friend went 45 miles for his and his wife's appointments because that's the closest he could get. A friend in Ohio and his wife had four different appointments at four different Walgreens (two initial shots and two follow-ups).

A chart came out the other day that the Philadelphia collar counties were getting far few vaccines per population than smaller, more rural counties. So, that has definitely contributed to the lag in vaccine administration.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritterskoop

#64 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Got my first shot today; drove 80 miles to the next city over that had a clinic for which I was eligible, as a volunteer at a future shot clinic.

During the 15-minute wait afterward, I had an unexpected emotional moment where I thought, "I am now not going to die from this thing." I am sure I had never thought that in the front part of my brain, but somewhere in the back, I guess it was lurking. For a year.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#65 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 pm

My daughter went to get the vaccine today. They did a rapid test and told her she had COVID. :roll:

silverscreenselect

#66 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 pm
My daughter went to get the vaccine today. They did a rapid test and told her she had COVID. :roll:
Sorry to hear that, Bob. I hope she gets through this okay.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#67 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:22 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Thanks, her symptoms aren't severe. She thought she had the flu.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#68 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:55 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Get well!
Well, then

SpacemanSpiff

#69 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 am
Bob Juch wrote:
First of all, I hope she gets better soon.

Second, my first reaction is that getting a vaccine when one is ill seems somewhat dangerous; after all, the immune system is under stress already, and now you are introducing another stress. But with this vaccine, it might not be a case where you can say, "I don't feel well today, can I come in three days?" because they might not let you.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob Juch

#70 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 pm

This is the problem we're having here. Why aren't other states having the same?
TUCSON - The vaccine supply across the whole country, including here in Pima County, has gone down over the last couple of weeks, but with a new vaccine on the way, could we see the numbers rise again.

Dr. Theresa Cullen, the Pima County Health Director, said, "For this week we have 23,000 doses of Moderna we are allowed to a lot. We actually had discussions with all of our large pods Tucson Medical center, TCC, Banner to evaluate what their needs are."

Dr. Cullen knows that we want to see bigger numbers and more available vaccines, but she also said that Pima County is well on its goal to have 300,000 people vaccinated by the end of March.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine was approved over the weekend, and the State Health Department says the state will receive more than 50,000 doses the first week it's available.

Of those 50,000, Pima County will receive a little less than 10,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Dr. Cullen said, "We were allocated 8200 doses. We believe that will be the only allocation we will get for the next three to four weeks."

Bob Juch

#71 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Ducey begins lifting COVID-19 mitigation measures in Arizona, removes business occupancy limitations

After observing seven weeks of declining cases in Grand Canyon State, Ducey issued a new executive order that further ease the state's COVID-19 sanctions on businesses.
At least Arizona has decreasing cases unline Texas, which is increasing.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#72 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:30 pm
Ducey begins lifting COVID-19 mitigation measures in Arizona, removes business occupancy limitations

After observing seven weeks of declining cases in Grand Canyon State, Ducey issued a new executive order that further ease the state's COVID-19 sanctions on businesses.
What stats are you referencing?
Well, then

BackInTex

#73 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Perhaps you need thicker glasses. Click on the "Trends" tab.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ops ... b9cafc8b83
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#74 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:46 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

What stats are you referencing?
New infections.

Bob Juch

#75 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

Perhaps you need thicker glasses. Click on the "Trends" tab.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ops ... b9cafc8b83
The 7-day average lines are obscuring that the cases are actually rising. Look closer.