Roses suck

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Roses suck

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:30 pm

Unless you grow them yourself. Anything bought in the grocery store or even florists must all be frozen.
Jeff got me a lovely arrangement for our 40th and although they actually had an aroma, didn't last a week.
Dying rose smell is creepy.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

Re: Roses suck

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:27 pm

That IS a terrible smell.

My least favorite is when you put a pizza in the fridge overnight, and when you open the door in the morning, that nasty garlic smell has permeated the deal.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:27 pm

My least favorite is when you put a pizza in the fridge overnight, and when you open the door in the morning, that nasty garlic smell has permeated the deal.
Yes. The taste is fine leftover, but like onions or bacon that hover...gahhh.
Well, then

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:24 pm

I'm going to conservatively say that I've given the lovely Mrs. Jaybee at least 2,000 roses over the years, probably more. They usually last for a couple of weeks. Some tips that have worked for me:

1. Get your vase ready with water, then cut the last bit of each stem off at a sharp angle. This gives more surface area for the rose to draw water up into it.
2. Either cut the stem while holding it under a stream of water or cut it and immediately put each individual stem into the water in the vase. It only takes a few seconds for the exposed part of the stem to start to seal over and if it does it keeps the water from getting up to the rose as easily.
3. Most places, even the grocery stores will include a packet of a preservative powder. Use it in the water, it works.
4. Some florists will wrap a damp cloth around the base of the stems, or even use individual rubber capped tubes to keep water on the exposed bases. If they take the time to do this then those roses will likely last a long time. But it's going to cost you 3X as much as going to the grocery store.
5. Even with those steps, I've gotten a few 'duds' over the years. Sometimes the roses just crap out after 5-6 days. Shit happens. OTOH, two weekends ago I was breezing through Kroger and picked up a dozen roses on impulse. The clerk in the flower section was loading them all onto a cart so I grabbed one. Turns out they must have been getting old as they were marked down to - get this - $2.50! Still, they made it to last Thursday or Friday, almost 2 weeks.
Jaybee

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:42 pm

You must have the touch. I've found the packets are only water crapperuppers. I do the cutting etc. You should be a florist!
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:11 pm

The best posies for lasting are star gazer lilies.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:21 pm

My favorites for lasting a long time are astroemerias.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:21 pm
Yes! Stargazers!
Well, then

wbtravis007

#9 Post by wbtravis007 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:36 pm

Well, congratulations on your 40th, bbk!

I actually hadn’t thought about it but this past august would have been my 40th as well.

Working on my 19th this year.

I guess complaining about stinky roses is about par for the course at 40th but I know you’re mostly kidding anyway..

Kudos!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:37 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:21 pm
Yes! Stargazers!
What a cool name! I'll have to change what I call them.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:51 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:

About once a month I order a pizza from Dominos. It's a white pizza:
Banana Peppers, No Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce, Shredded Parmesan, No Green Peppers, Extra Cheese, Garlic Parmesan Sauce, Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Onions, Mushrooms.

I prefer it cold the next days for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 am

I saw this on Evil Facebook - don't know whether it actually works or not, but it might be worth a try.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea ... nt%20hacks
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:12 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:11 pm
The best posies for lasting are star gazer lilies.
True story. I have a black thumb. Like, I mean, I can kill silk flowers (don't ask). However, someone gave me a lovely potted stargazer lily once, ten or so years ago. It bloomed, I forgot to water it, and it dried up. I tossed the carcass into an outdoor dirt pile that was awaiting .. something I thought I might get around to doing. Promptly forgot about it. That sucker has come back every year since. It now grows to about 4 feet tall, tons of blossoms. Apparently benign neglect is my most successful gardening style.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:12 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:51 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:

About once a month I order a pizza from Dominos. It's a white pizza:
Banana Peppers, No Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce, Shredded Parmesan, No Green Peppers, Extra Cheese, Garlic Parmesan Sauce, Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Onions, Mushrooms.

I prefer it cold the next days for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Yes! Their white pizza is the best. Except I put pepperoni, Ital sausage, black olives, spinach and roasted red peppers on it.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:13 am

earendel wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 am
I saw this on Evil Facebook - don't know whether it actually works or not, but it might be worth a try.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea ... nt%20hacks
I may try those.
Well, then